Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I love the optimism lads. But do any of us seriously expect us to spend anywhere north of £50m on anyone considering our track record? I really hope we do but I can't see it. I really hoped we would make a statement after the CL final and go out and make a couple of strong signings but as yet nothing except pure speculation.

Fingers crossed anyway...in before Pochettino gets another payrise and hails the summer window a success because we didn't sell anyone :pochbye:

"Track record"....

Sissoko 2016 record broken at 30m
Sanchez 2017 record broken at 40m
2019 increased spending power = ?????

Why not?

Do people think there is any chance of signing both Ndombele and Lo Celso, whilst keeping Eriksen? I can't see that happening surely...

I suppose the question should be do people think there is any chance of signing both Ndombele and Lo Celso...but just daydreaming about the above scenario.

Not sure we have a choice, having Eriksen alone is not enough and we really need to fill the Dembele void. I can’t imagine Poch simply being happy with keeping Eriksen and getting Ndombele, doesn’t solve the depth issue although it would be a great start to the transfer window.

I know what you mean, this would be typical, and a horrendous window if that was the result!

But I'm quietly confident of eventually getting Ndombele. Probably more hopefulness than confidence though.

Define typical?

1 season without signings doesn't = typical.

Seems to me that the requirement for GLC is a lot less specific and just equates to a desire for a player 'like' him. If Eriksen resigns then the urgency which could dictate that we spend big on what would the be a mere back-up decreases.

Lo Celso from viewing a few times for Betis is a busy body De Bruyne type, only watched him a few times so could be wrong but a bit different to Eriksen. Even if we don’t get Lo Celso I’d imagine we’d want a player like him as you say regardless of Eriksen staying.

If Eriksen leaves then the pot of money we get could change who we buy.

Seems to me that the requirement for GLC is a lot less specific and just equates to a desire for a player 'like' him. If Eriksen resigns then the urgency which could dictate that we spend big on what would the be a mere back-up decreases.

I don't see Lo Celso as an urgent siging, but I wouldn't rule anything out. We've seen him on the right wing for Argentina, so he could also be an upgrade on Lamela.

I don't see Lo Celso as an urgent siging, but I wouldn't rule anything out. We've seen him on the right wing for Argentina, so he could also be an upgrade on Lamela.

Only saw the highlight of him for Argentina, not sure what is wrong with Argentina but he doesn’t look comfortable as a winger. For Betis he plays as a deep lying play maker or further forward centrally and looked very good.

If we could get him and Ndombele and keep Eriksen we would have a serious midfield next year.

If Eriksen leaves then a player deemed capable of hitting the ground running to replace him is pretty urgent IMO. If Eriksen re-signs (not simply rides his last year out!) we can afford to take a longer view and get a rough diamond for rotation instead.

If you watch Edward"s show reel from the season he had on loan he looks like a great player. Of course that is not the way to gauge a player. They are used every day to scout our 'targets' however

Note: if you do watch it, you're going to need to mute the sound.

If you watch Edward"s show reel from the season he had on loan he looks like a great player. Of course that is not the way to gauge a player. They are used every day to scout our 'targets' however

KWP could look like the English Cafu in one of those highlight videos.

Even if eriksen stays we need both lo celso and ndombele in midfield...and a few other signings.

Not necessarily Lo Celso but a similar deep lying playmaker yes I agree.

For me we need in priority order.

Ndombele: no if no butts he is outstanding and is a player we need. Not even remotely sure who would be plan B if this failed as the quality would drop considerably.

Playmaker: as Airfixx Airfixx said if Eriksen stays then we can get a lesser rough diamond player to develop, if he goes we need top class.

RB: nothing against Trippier personally, just not athletic enough for our system.

LB: Sessegnon would be a great player to develop.

AM: wouldn’t mind a punt on the likes of Malcolm at Barca

CB/DM: less concerned even if Toby goes, Sanchez and Foyth have the potential to be brilliant, Dier and Davies are good cover at CB and personally I’d rather put Winks or Ndombele in the number 6 as I prefer a good passing DM to a good tackling one.

Translated from Spanish by Google
After introducing Jovic, Hazard and Mendy, Real Madrid will now focus on finishing a few starts and in the final attempt for Pogba. But if United gives us up, it will look for another alternative, which is no longer Eriksen. The Dane of Tottenham has been ruled out.

Only saw the highlight of him for Argentina, not sure what is wrong with Argentina but he doesn’t look comfortable as a winger. For Betis he plays as a deep lying play maker or further forward centrally and looked very good.

If we could get him and Ndombele and keep Eriksen we would have a serious midfield next year.
Lo Celso is moved out of position for Argentina to make room for Messi. He's an out and out central midfielder

To scout? Nah.... Scouts might compile vids by means of a 'report' to a manager or DOF but to use them to actually scout.... I don't see it.

Last edited:
Define typical?

1 season without signings doesn't = typical.
I didn't mean a window with no signings at all is typical, I meant more as typically not landing our main targets for whatever reason.

But then again all we ever have to go on is Twitter gossip so what do we know about the real goings on in a transfer window eh?

Even if eriksen stays we need both lo celso and ndombele in midfield...and a few other signings.
Let's say, for arguments sake, that's £140m for those two. Then a new right back for, I don't know, £30m? Then a new third keeper and a replacement for llorente. Rose says he sees himself moving on this summer so say another £30m for the left back.

Can you see where this is going?

If we spend £50m all summer I'd be surprised. I'm basing that on the comments from both our manager and chairman.

Back
Top Bottom