Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm telling you people, Ceballos is next.... Could it be us?

Both Barcelona and Real Madrid bought players from mid level Spanish clubs (Valencia and Real Betis) but found they really are not good enough at that level, even though Spanish/Portugese internationals and were not getting playing time.

Both Gomez to Everton from Barcelona and Fornals to West Ham from Villareal priced at around £25m.

Ceballos has only made around 30 appearances (including off the bench) for Madrid over 3 seasons (ie average 10 a season) so hasn't developed from the 18m euro acquisition they made from Real Betis.

Spurs beat Real Madrid 2 seasons ago - Id hate to buy Ceballos and find that due to injury we had to play him v Madrid this season - not good enough for Madrid so we'd lose. Would need a lot of coaching to bring him up to standard.

Better CM's available - beside which Poch prefers players who can play multiple roles so for preference he'd go for a CM/AM. Then there is the home grown problem......

Seeing as we get a bit of stick for not completing certain deals I had a little think at lunch about who we were apparently close to that didn't sign who ended up being a bit shit after the deal apparently collapsed.

Saido Berahino, Yann M'Vila, Keita Balde, Pape Cheikh Diop, Jay Rodriguez instantly came to mind. Who else did we nearly sign only to not get them and it turn out to be a decent decision not to? There's a few that I'm going to kick myself over but I know there definitely has been a fair old amount we looked at that would have been poor deals looking back on them.

Where have you seen 55M total I only see 120K per week + signing on fee.

Also at a later time it came out that they paid €16M in agent fees for the free signing, I am sure his mum got paid on top of that.

I was just working on the 170k per week for 5 years plus 10m sign on. Even if you add 16m agent fee that still makes 70m total cost for the deal.

They'd probably get that back if the sell him in 3 years time. Great deal IMO.

He is a prima donna and would never have lasted in the dressing room or his mum either!

What makes you think he's a prima donna? He was highly critical of some of the prima donna's at PSG.

From the deal they've just done his mum hasn't made extortionate demands.

I'd be wary of believing everything we read. PSG have a much more powerful media machine than Rabiot and his mum.

Sounds on the high side to me - can't see DL wanting to pay £14m guaranteed payment after only half a dozen appearances for Leeds, but who knows.

But definitely lots of add ons dependent upon appearances at Spurs etc
Seems like a cheap fee for young English talent to me, certainly worth a punt now rather than waiting for next summer when he could be worth 40-50 million. 'We need to brave and take risks'.

Seeing as we get a bit of stick for not completing certain deals I had a little think at lunch about who we were apparently close to that didn't sign who ended up being a bit shit after the deal apparently collapsed.

Saido Berahino, Yann M'Vila, Keita Balde, Pape Cheikh Diop, Jay Rodriguez instantly came to mind. Who else did we nearly sign only to not get them and it turn out to be a decent decision not to? There's a few that I'm going to kick myself over but I know there definitely has been a fair old amount we looked at that would have been poor deals looking back on them.

Bolasi, Ings, Schneiderlin

Seems like a cheap fee for young English talent to me, certainly worth a punt now rather than waiting for next summer when he could be worth 40-50 million. 'We need to brave and take risks'.
Agreed. What’s the worst that could happen if he flops? We lose £5m? Whereas if he comes close to fulfilling his potential then we gain a player worth £50m+.

Definitely worth it.

Hard to see how we'd lose money on him.

A few seasons back we paid £9m for Foyth when he'd only played 8 matches, and £9m then was worth as much if not more than £14m is now with PL fee inflation.

I was just working on the 170k per week for 5 years plus 10m sign on. Even if you add 16m agent fee that still makes 70m total cost for the deal.

They'd probably get that back if the sell him in 3 years time. Great deal IMO.
Probably is a good deal - I like him as a player but no doubt he does come with baggage.

I am always weary of signings on bosman and sell on in the future, if they have done it once they are more likely to do it again IMO. I know Rabiot is a special case due to the way PSG went about it but wouldn't count on the sell on fee.

Back
Top Bottom