Bournemouth (A) 1230KO - 4th May.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A very, very strange season. If i'm being totally honest, we've never looked that good (save for a brief period mid December when we smashed everton and bournemouth). At the start of the season I noted that we were getting tight results without playing that well, and that just kind of continued the entire season. Our record against the big six is W2, D1, L7, yet we're third and could wrap up champions league qualification today.

I guess the irony is that we usually get accused of playing great football, but not having the grit to grind out results when it matters. This season it's been the complete inverse. We've done nothing but grind out tight results, in both the league and Europe.

A very, very strange season. If i'm being totally honest, we've never looked that good (save for a brief period mid December when we smashed everton and bournemouth). At the start of the season I noted that we were getting tight results without playing that well, and that just kind of continued the entire season. Our record against the big six is W2, D1, L7, yet we're third and could wrap up champions league qualification today.

I guess the irony is that we usually get accused of playing great football, but not having the grit to grind out results when it matters. This season it's been the complete inverse. We've done nothing but grind out tight results, in both the league and Europe.

converse

Very nervous about this game. Genuinely hoping that the players put the CL semi to the back of their minds (how difficult that must be though) because we really do need the win today.
Please win today boys and let’s make sure we are guaranteed our invite to the party next year!
But it’s Spurs. And we don’t do things the easy way. I’m braced for a very tense 90 minutes.

Everton are going for 7th and Europa. We really could do without needing a result against them on the last day.
Agreed - it should be a no-pressure, warm, sunny day, full of singing and laughing, where the result doesn't matter at all and everyone floats home, having won 4-0 or something.

This is what it was for most of the 90s....And thinking that next season would be different.But it never was...

I’ve said it before, the match day experience was more enjoyable back in the 90’s, when we were shit. The focus was all about the day, the pubs and the jolly, if we won it was a massive bonus.
Nowadays, it’s all about the result and the day is shit if we lose.
It’s brilliant being regular top 4 and in theCL semi final but it does change priorities of the whole experience.

Missing out on top 4 these days is a disaster and every game is geared up around that. Back in the 90’s mid table and lower was the norm and not unexpected.

Prefer to be where we are now of course.

This is what it was for most of the 90s....And thinking that next season would be different.But it never was...
Yes. More recently I remember a lovely, sunny day, against a newly-relegated Newcastle, where the strains of 'We'll never play you again" echoed around the ground. The feeling was happy, warm and cosy. I think it's good to have a game like that occasionally. 🤞

I’ve said it before, the match day experience was more enjoyable back in the 90’s, when we were shit. The focus was all about the day, the pubs and the jolly, if we won it was a massive bonus.
Nowadays, it’s all about the result and the day is shit if we lose.
It’s brilliant being regular top 4 and in theCL semi final but it does change priorities of the whole experience.

Missing out on top 4 these days is a disaster and every game is geared up around that. Back in the 90’s mid table and lower was the norm and not unexpected.

Prefer to be where we are now of course.
I don't disagree with any of that.
You drank with the same people you sat with back then.Or for the most part anyway.
Some of the jollies back then were more memorable than the games.
Whilst i wouldn't swap our place now for then, some of the pre and post match experience from back then would be welcome.

I cannot believe that I actually had a dream about this game last night ! 1-0 turned into 4-3, randomly Kane was stretchered off. 5-4 and a last minute for a 5-5 draw. Obviously I have some deep rooted mental issues to have a dream of that nature at my age. But that said I am, I feel, strangely terrified at another loss / draw and dropping out to 5th on the last day.

Spurs. It’s the hope that kills.
I also had a dream yesterday and we made CL. Was so annoyed when I woke up.

What a nervy end to the season eh? The squad look like they're running on petrol fumes instead of a full tank. We're crawling over the finish line, just hope we can get there.

I reckon we'll get 4 points out of six, but that's me wearing my optimistic hat.

Just put this game away early.

Never thought a while back, this game would have any relevance to our season. It is pivotal. Securing CL for next season and going to Ajax with come confidence.

Our capitation in many first halves have been way too common.

Start well, get that early goal, build on momentum and then anything is possible.
0-1 against Ajax is not ideal, but winnable. That can only come through confidence. Going to the second leg of the CL semi, after a solid win, knowing that one task has been taken care of, ... is priceless. .

Are people nervous because it’s Bournemouth we’re facing or that it’s Tottenham playing?
Besides the fact we love making things harder than it needs to be, there’s nothing we should be nervous about.

Bournemouth have been in terrible form since the beginning of this year and our record against them is excellent.

Back
Top Bottom