Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Could be a battle regarding the type of signings we make, with Poch wanting ready made stars and Levy pushing for championship level up and coming younger talents

The question is does Poch deserve to be backed with the signings HE wants, signings who he thinks will make a difference now, not in a few years time. For example, Zaha could be one such player. Not everyone is a fan of Zaha, but if Poch really wants him and the Zaha wants to come and play for him then should Levy pay up?

It doesn't take a genius to figure that we'll be rebuilding this summer. Poch just stating the obvious.
Rebuilding the team we have and taking into account player transfer fees, the club needs to spend £100m plus. Do you think Levy will do that?

We needed to rebuild or at least recruit in the last 2 transfer windows, so let's keep the genius at home.

I never said anything about Showdown Talks - you can't read what the trolls say seriously and paint everyone with the same brush. It's pretty obvious what Poch is saying

You dense fuck.

I mentioned it, not you. Nor did i 'tar everyone with the same brush'.

Then you jumped in with some half-baked petty contradiction to no real ends.....

Like I say, go waste someone else time.

Could be a battle regarding the type of signings we make, with Poch wanting ready made stars and Levy pushing for championship level up and coming younger talents

The question is does Poch deserve to be backed with the signings HE wants, signings who he thinks will make a difference now, not in a few years time. For example, Zaha could be one such player. Not everyone is a fan of Zaha, but if Poch really wants him and the Zaha wants to come and play for him then should Levy pay up?

Whether he deserves it or not; rightfully, we won't give Poch a blank cheque for the summer, so there'll alway be a limit somewhere.

Rebuilding the team we have and taking into account player transfer fees, the club needs to spend £100m plus. Do you think Levy will do that?

We needed to rebuild or at least recruit in the last 2 transfer windows, so let's keep the genius at home.

No idea how much we need to spend mate. We might get 3 players vital to the squad for a total of £50 million. Does that mean we haven't rebuilt 'properly'?

Big quotes.
But he's been saying these things for a long long time now, pretty much said the exact same thing at the beginning of last Summer.
I don't think he said anything like this at all, everything was centred around two magical words that people interpreted to mean what they wanted it mean....."be brave". he has since come out and explained what he meant by those words exact words, although that didn't stop those who interpreted them to mean "spending big".

These NEW quotes are completely in line with the outlined plan of the whole Club, build a new stadium, have then generate increased revenues (it still will not be anywhere near Utd, City but the gap is closed on Chelsea, Woolwich and Liverpool - there are some shifting sands here dependant of who's in/out of CL and new commercial deals due to kick in with some of those clubs but however you cut it the gap will have narrowed significantly) then invest that into the football team.

Please also bear in mind that this is a carefully orchestrated message, these quotes are off the back of his interview with the BBC PL Show, this would have been arranged with the Head of Communications Simon Felstein (ever present with every single interview that Poch gives). It's a more detailed message than the one he also gave on the official opening of the stadium.

It's hugely exciting and one I wait to see what exactly translates to. It also comes with some apprehension too, because I think Poch has yet to prove his worth in player recruitment and if this rebuild is going to involve many players then right now if I'm honest I'm not confident a rebuild is going to be successful, there are so many black holes it could take us into.

I'm not expecting us to be dropping £400m on new players, I'm assuming that a fair old sum will go onto existing players wages (this might well continue to keep players at the Club but it will not push us forward). We have most certainly been linked with some truly exceptional players for the spots we all know are desperate to fill, whilst this is encouraging it's a completely different story in getting these players over the line when the other clubs we are competing for the signatures with are Barca, City etc..

No idea how much we need to spend mate. We might get 3 players vital to the squad for a total of £50 million. Does that mean we haven't rebuilt 'properly'?

Indeed. I guess a catagoric definition of 'rebuild' might help too.

To me if we're talking bout re-building we could be talking 5/6 first team players (+ bench tweaks) in which case that's likely 200-300m give or take sales from our dregs. Which I can't feasibly expect regardless of whether I think that extent of 'surgery' is necessary.

If we're talking 1 x RB & 2 x CM then maybe we can squeeze that for circa £100m.

Right now we have no idea what our budget may likely constitute, so not worth getting too emotional about it all until the whole process starts to unfold.

Last edited:
Indeed. I guess a catagoric definition of 'rebuild' might help too.

To me if we're talking bout re-building we could be talking 5/6 first team players (+ bench tweaks) in which case that's likely 200-300m give or take sales from our dregs. Which I can't feasibly expect regardless of whether I think that extent of 'surgery' is necessary.

If we're talking 1 x RB & 2 x CM then maybe we can squeeze that for circa £100m.

Right now we have no idea what our budget may likely constitute, so not worth getting to emotional about it all until the whole process starts to unfold.

My point was that the money spent isn't the be-all and end-all of our rebuilding effort. If we've proved anything in the past its that we can assemble a great squad within a budget. Saying that unless we spend 'x' amount we're not rebuilding properly is simplistic fifa-playing nonsense.

I don't think he said anything like this at all, everything was centred around two magical words that people interpreted to mean what they wanted it mean....."be brave". he has since come out and explained what he meant by those words exact words, although that didn't stop those who interpreted them to mean "spending big".

These NEW quotes are completely in line with the outlined plan of the whole Club, build a new stadium, have then generate increased revenues (it still will not be anywhere near Utd, City but the gap is closed on Chelsea, Woolwich and Liverpool - there are some shifting sands here dependant of who's in/out of CL and new commercial deals due to kick in with some of those clubs but however you cut it the gap will have narrowed significantly) then invest that into the football team.

Please also bear in mind that this is a carefully orchestrated message, these quotes are off the back of his interview with the BBC PL Show, this would have been arranged with the Head of Communications Simon Felstein (ever present with every single interview that Poch gives). It's a more detailed message than the one he also gave on the official opening of the stadium.

It's hugely exciting and one I wait to see what exactly translates to. It also comes with some apprehension too, because I think Poch has yet to prove his worth in player recruitment and if this rebuild is going to involve many players then right now if I'm honest I'm not confident a rebuild is going to be successful, there are so many black holes it could take us into.

I'm not expecting us to be dropping £400m on new players, I'm assuming that a fair old sum will go onto existing players wages (this might well continue to keep players at the Club but it will not push us forward). We have most certainly been linked with some truly exceptional players for the spots we all know are desperate to fill, whilst this is encouraging it's a completely different story in getting these players over the line when the other clubs we are competing for the signatures with are Barca, City etc..

3 things I took from your post mate....

- It SHOULD be exciting.... Not a cause for prophecies of doom.
- I'd agree that the question mark over Poch's recruitment exists.
- "Creativity" as Poch calls it is key (See your ref to Barca/City).... He used the term last summer too. The fact that some equate that to a spend-up speaks volumes as per the binary and blinkered thinking required to reach such a conclusion. (Splash the cash by any typical definition would = lazy & un-creative).

My point was that the money spent isn't the be-all and end-all of our rebuilding effort. If we've proved anything in the past its that we can assemble a great squad within a budget. Saying that unless we spend 'x' amount we're not rebuilding properly is simplistic fifa-playing nonsense.

Aye.... I don't disagree.

FWIW; I do think 'total budget' is the only real tangible starting point so it's a reasonable avenue of enquiry.

TBH it’s time for this, club need to move on from the stadium and look at the squad as main priority.

Think Levy has done an amazing job with the business and stadium and our prudent spending over the last decade has been worth long term IF we use our new found resources to improve the team.

In terms of ENIC, I always personally felt I would judge them post stadium build as to their ambition for us and now come the moment. If ENIC invest our profits massive fair play if not then fans have a right to moan. So this summer is the real test of our ambition as a club.

On a side note when Poch arrived at Spurs he was ruthless getting rid of players that he felt weren’t up for it. The club needs him to be just as ruthless as when he first came. Nothing against the likes of Trippier or Llorente but we are not a charity and if Eriksen wants to leave, let him, get £100 mil and buy some top quality.

I think change this summer will be good for us otherwise we will stagnate as a team.

Go lie down, you're frothing love

I'm not. I just don't like you. (I think you're a WUM with very little - if any - genuine care for this club.)

I can do this AND remain calm. You're nothing special.... The likes of you are perfectly common on the interweb.

Back
Top Bottom