Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Without any question, it was Hugo's error.

But compare the two performances of him and Alisson yesterday, Alisson made what 4 woeful errors, one very similar to that of Lloris's when he parried the ball from Kane's shot out to Eriksen to shoot over the bar. Another when he came off his line only to miss the ball completely and for him and his defender to not even know where the ball was, his kicking was all over the shop.

The margins are very small but Alisson was by far the worse of the two on the day but because of luck of where the ball bounced we are talking about Hugo, not Allison, in fact, there are those that will still be saying Allison is the best keeper in the league.

I'm not making excuses for Llrois just offering perspective whilst the knives are being sharpened.

He should not be captain which would of course make it infinitely easier to drop him.

Does not provide the leadership we need or would expect.

Agreed. However it's not his fault that the manager has made him captain.

In general, a 'keeper should never be a captain. He can't influence the game from 40m away.

You need a central midfielder or centre back as captain - someone who's in the middle of the game and can see what's going on around him and 'have a word' in underperforming players' ears. In the mould of Keane, Adams, Roberts. Kane's not a captain either (despite what Southgate thinks). He should focus on scoring goals.

Would it help if he came out and apologised. Seems to be very little of that these days with the "modern" professional. Wouldn't harm to show some humility and remorse in my view.

Agreed. However it's not his fault that the manager has made him captain.

In general, a 'keeper should never be a captain. He can't influence the game from 40m away.

You need a central midfielder or centre back as captain - someone who's in the middle of the game and can see what's going on around him and 'have a word' in underperforming players' ears. In the mould of Keane, Adams, Roberts. Kane's not a captain either (despite what Southgate thinks). He should focus on scoring goals.
Agreed.

But compare the two performances of him and Alisson yesterday, Alisson made what 4 woeful errors, one very similar to that of Lloris's when he parried the ball from Kane's shot out to Eriksen to shoot over the bar. Another when he came off his line only to miss the ball completely and for him and his defender to not even know where the ball was, his kicking was all over the shop.

The margins are very small but Alisson was by far the worse of the two on the day but because of luck of where the ball bounced we are talking about Hugo, not Allison, in fact, there are those that will still be saying Allison is the best keeper in the league.

I'm not making excuses for Llrois just offering perspective whilst the knives are being sharpened.
There is no doubt Allison was shocking yesterday, but he's not our problem.

At a pivotal moment, or captain, our talisman, not for the first time this season cost us the game with either lack of concentration or lack of ability.

He's made glaring errors and he's made errors alongside others. The simple fact should be, his days with us should be numbered.

There is no doubt Allison was shocking yesterday, but he's not our problem.

At a pivotal moment, or captain, our talisman, not for the first time this season cost us the game with either lack of concentration or lack of ability.

He's made glaring errors and he's made errors alongside others. The simple fact should be, his days with us should be numbered.
That's not the point being made.

Have to agree with you there Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 . Alisson rode his luck on a few occasions and got away with it.

Lloris made an absolute hash of a simple save but was then unlucky that the ball immediately struck another player and went over the goal line. Even then you can see he makes an attempt to save and he misses the ball.

The game (as was proved yesterday) changes a such small margins.

Having said all that I honestly don't know where we go with Hugo. He has had a very up and down season, been brilliant on occasions but made more than his normal share of mistakes.

Fucking hell, give your head a wobble!!
Ha... I haven't heard THAT phrase in a while!!
I was, of course being facetious... I don't think he did it deliberately as part of a betting syndicate...
But I've run out of logical reasons for him doing what he did... and HOW he did it...
Unless we've got Bobby Mimms back at the club as GK coach??

Have to agree with you there Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 . Alisson rode his luck on a few occasions and got away with it.

Lloris made an absolute hash of a simple save but was then unlucky that the ball immediately struck another player and went over the goal line. Even then you can see he makes an attempt to save and he misses the ball.

Having said all that I honestly don't know where we go with Hugo. He has had a very up and down season, been brilliant on occasions but made more than his normal share of mistakes.
The truth is he's still in the top 5 'keepers in the league for me. The talk of selling him is way over the top. There are issues no doubt, the error yesterday was just an error and can and will happen to many a good 'keeper. His biggest weakness is his kicking and this has always been the case. I think he's made some small improvements in this area too but a combination of him not being the best with the ball at his feet (although it's worth pointing out the stats still have him as one of the best at it and way, way, way better than de Gea at passing, for instance, a lot of this I think is how teams are set up to play maybe) and our midfield nowhere near the level it was with a midfielder dropping between to two splitting CB's (or deep) to collect the ball and play through an oppo press (we miss Dier/Dembele/Wanyama this season) and in addition have Tripps who can't play out from the back only magnifies the issue. (although I thought yesterday we played out from the back very well, especially on the left).

Maybe we should be looking to upgrade Gazzaniga, he clearly isn't putting enough pressure on Lloris to claim the number one spot and maybe a decent rest for our players this summer is also needed, none more so than Lloris who took his Country to a World Cup Final and won it only to return back at Spurs with a matter of days before a new season started. All said and done this really isn't a major problem position for us IMO.

Part of the problem is that he is captain, so not only are you dropping the #1 keeper to the bench, you're dropping the captain too.

It should have been stripped after the drink driving thing to be honest.

Lloris is a great shot stopper, but lacks any sort of composure in his own area. It has to be fixed or he's replaced.

Jermain Jenus made his feelings known on Lloris on MotD2....8 goals he’s cost us this season through a direct mistake, on Wednesday the club officially take the step into a new era, maybe that is the game they hand the reigns over to Gazza......that is a little harsh in my view, but he’s correct, Gazza hasn’t put a foot wrong in any of the games he’s played this season and he should be our new No1.....but starting next season, Hugo deserves to see out the season, fingers crossed he doesn’t cost us anymore points in the league and the old Hugo is back to his best for the CL games!!

Jermain Jenus made his feelings known on Lloris on MotD2....8 goals he’s cost us this season through a direct mistake, on Wednesday the club officially take the step into a new era, maybe that is the game they hand the reigns over to Gazza......that is a little harsh in my view, but he’s correct, Gazza hasn’t put a foot wrong in any of the games he’s played this season and he should be our new No1.....but starting next season, Hugo deserves to see out the season, fingers crossed he doesn’t cost us anymore points in the league and the old Hugo is back to his best for the CL games!!
Gazza has looked really shaky on crosses, or anything thing that goes high into the box, he doesn't fill me with any confidence at all. Based on a mins per mistake basis I'd guess he has made just as many errors as Hugo. He has pulled off a few great saves (but Hugo does this too). He looks more comfortable on the ball, that I will say, he seems to be quicker to move the ball, looks less scared of it but the end result tends to be the same.

Lloris made an absolute hash of a simple save but was then unlucky
that the ball immediately struck another player and went over the goal line. Even then you can see he makes an attempt to save and he misses the ball.

Maybe that's the difference between Lloris/Allison and Toby/VVD ...
The money Liverpool spent on them both clearly included a 'lucky' clause!
Ours probably didn't...

Seems money really DOES buy you luck!

Hugo deserves to see out the season, fingers crossed he doesn’t cost us anymore points in the league and the old Hugo is back to his best for the CL games!!

He deserves nothing. This is why we are a loser team. He is paid 100k's a week to be the best. If he makes idiotic mistakes (and this is the 8th time he has cost us a goal) he should be dropped. FUCK HIM.

Poch needs to show some fucking balls. This whole squad think they are untouchable - no new players and a weak manager have seen to that.

Harry Kane dictating when he comes back from injury, ruining Son in the process.

The whole thing is a fucking shit show.

I think Hugo deserves the rest of the year in goal, unless he has another game like yesterday. I really hope its an open competition in the summer between he and Gazzaniga. I would like to see Hugo hand over the captain's armband to Jan or Kane as well.

Last edited:
Hugo cannot complain if he’s dropped but I expect Poch to select him on Wednesday. He’s a loyal guy and he generally doesn’t punish players he trusts when they make errors. He likes to let them make up for their mistakes quickly.

Also to be fair to Hugo he normally follows a shite game with a top class performance. I’m sure that in the pre-season Poch will reset the pecking order and let him and Gazzaniga contest the position.

Who do we get to replace him?

Personally I have had enough of him, yes it’s great playing blinders every now and again to win us games, but the bread and butter is seriously letting him down.

Such a shame

Back
Top Bottom