New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How much should we have offered?
40M?

We should have offered £20m when Villa put him up for sale. They wanted to sell him early in the summer due to their financial situation. We offered £3m plus Onomah (which is just an insult), then £12m before deciding to wait until they panicked. Except they didn't panic and instead got new owners who would only sell for a similar price to Maddison.

If Levy had behaved properly instead of trying to humiliate them then we could have signed him before pre-season even started for about £20m, but because of our own financial burden he chose to be nasty and paid the price. Hopefully the last two windows have taught Levy a lot about how much the market has changed.

His old ways of trying to wear down other chairmen with his haggling are not going to work anymore with the amount of money flowing around the PL. There is no need to sell anyone to Tottenham on the cheap when even Leicester and Everton et al can pay the full price instead and pay a similar wage as well. It's not a coincidence that our one signing in the last 2 years was someone who was in the reserves at PSG. We are going to find it very difficult to sign anyone good this summer.

Last edited:
We should have offered £20m when Villa put him up for sale. They wanted to sell him early in the summer due to their financial situation. We offered £3m plus Onomah (which is just an insult), then £12m before deciding to wait until they panicked. Except they didn't panic and instead got new owners who would only sell for a similar price to Maddison.

If Levy had behaved properly instead of trying to humiliate them then we could have signed him before pre-season even started for about £20m, but because of our own financial burden he chose to be nasty and paid the price.
We bid 25M, and it was deemed not enough....much to relief of the vast majority of posters on here who called Grealish a typical Champo nonsense signing.

Still none of this has anything to do with the initial accusation that the stadium is being used to mask Levy’s failings in the windows.
We bid 25M, which means the money was there, not being stuffed under any pillows or spent on a non existent cheese room

We bid 25M, and it was deemed not enough....much to relief of the vast majority of posters on here who called Grealish a typical Champo nonsense signing.

Still none of this has anything to do with the initial accusation that the stadium is being used to mask Levy’s failings in the windows.
We bid 25M, which means the money was there, not being stuffed under any pillows or spent on a non existent cheese room

Yeah the money was there and we chose to spend it when Aston Villa no longer wanted to sell. Timing is everything. There was a window of opportunity to get Grealish for a reasonable price and we let it pass.

No doubt we have done a terrible job of using the limited transfer funds we have had available in the last 2 windows, but that doesn't change the fact that the money is limited. £25m really doesn't get you that much these days and it's not really a surprise to me that someone as cautious as Poch hasn't been brave enough to spend it. I mean he's still wheeling out Wanyama when Oliver Skipp is in the squad and has started matches we won. Both manager and chairman need to be much more brave in the market and how they use the squad.

Yeah the money was there and we chose to spend it when Aston Villa no longer wanted to sell. Timing is everything. There was a window of opportunity to get Grealish for a reasonable price and we let it pass.

No doubt we have done a terrible job of using the limited transfer funds we have had available in the last 2 windows, but that doesn't change the fact that the money is limited. £25m really doesn't get you that much these days and it's not really a surprise to me that someone as cautious as Poch hasn't been brave enough to spend it. I mean he's still wheeling out Wanyama when Oliver Skipp is in the squad and has started matches we won. Both manager and chairman need to be much more brave in the market and how they use the squad.
thing that was changed was they were sold and didn't need outside investment to pay the tax bill anymore - I doubt we could have bought finalized before the sale even if we went in higher at the outset but we will never know now.

On the note of not knowing how much we can spend. Part of it, I'd think, comes down to negotiating the structure of deals with selling clubs. We're probably in a position where money spent now is costly because it increases the amount of the loans that needs to be refinanced, and thus the interest cost of the whole amount. But over the long term we're obviously quite well off and can pay a substantial sum. So £20m for Grealish would've been a big deal because the whole point was that Villa were insolvent and needed quick cash. But £20m for someone else where that might have been £4m a year for five years would've been much more palatable to us.

On the note of not knowing how much we can spend. Part of it, I'd think, comes down to negotiating the structure of deals with selling clubs. We're probably in a position where money spent now is costly because it increases the amount of the loans that needs to be refinanced, and thus the interest cost of the whole amount. But over the long term we're obviously quite well off and can pay a substantial sum. So £20m for Grealish would've been a big deal because the whole point was that Villa were insolvent and needed quick cash. But £20m for someone else where that might have been £4m a year for five years would've been much more palatable to us.

This shows exactly why Poch is a miracle worker. To be working under such financial constraints and still being able to produce a top 4 quality team is absolutely phenomenal. Oh and no home ground for two years:pochfacepalm:

This shows exactly why Poch is a miracle worker. To be working under such financial constraints and still being able to produce a top 4 quality team is absolutely phenomenal. Oh and no home ground for two years:pochfacepalm:
Yep. I think his net transfer spent is at around the £12.5m mark, so a budget of £2.5m per season roughly. All the money has gone on the stadium project and a ballooning wage bill needed to keep most of our squad together.

They seem to be going out of their way to avoid using the "Tottenham Hotspur Stadium" branding.

Here's guessing the naming rights deal is already done, but the naming partner isn't willing to announce it or pay a dime until there is actually approval to open the damn thing.

Wasn't the rumour that we weren't going to announce naming rights because once the stadium was done, ENIC was going to sell up?

:levylol:

No cheese room, but we still gouda lot of it at our new stadium anyway :pochsmirk:
GkUcJq8.jpg

The other option of course is that they're nowhere close to a naming rights deal and they're desperately trying to avoid building a brand association with "Tottenham Hotspur Stadium" in order to try and maintain the value to a potential buyer.

I wonder if anyone considered using this free week to enable the players to train at the new stadium. Surely it would have been a great opportunity to get used to the pitch and surroundings. Instead they have all popped off to Barcelona to train there

I wonder if anyone considered using this free week to enable the players to train at the new stadium. Surely it would have been a great opportunity to get used to the pitch and surroundings. Instead they have all popped off to Barcelona to train there

need a Safety Certificate.

I couldn't give a rat's anus about what we offered for Jack Grealish or when we offered it or what Aston Villa thought.

Even entertaining the idea that he could be a replacement for Eriksen is demented.

I do give a shit that he was the best our recruitment team could come up with or which the executive thought we could stretch to

Back
Top Bottom