Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The first year in a new team, in a new league. That team is one of, if not the most aggressive, teams playing in one of, if not the most aggressive/fastest league in the World, he hasn't come close to doing that since and the one against Madrid I've absolutely no issue with whatsoever, they would have scored anyway had he not tried to challenge for the ball. It's a funny way to look at a player completely the opposite way that Poch does thank God, as a defender the chance of conceding a pen is always a possibility, Poch came out and said this after Foyth's Wolves game. It happens.

Foyth had a game where he conceded 2 penalties - that will happen. When you have a player conceding 3 pens in separate matches by the same reckless tackles - that's a problem as he had time to reflect after the first match that he had made a mistake...and that sliding tackles were not the answer.

But he clearly didn't reflect or heed any coaching advice, because he repeats the same type of sliding tackle

Again hasn't learned and concedes a 3rd penalty.

So you think repeating a mistake 3 times over a few matches is normal accepted (or acceptable) practice ? Who else has done something similar so often ?

But that's just an example,. My basic point is that he has not shown over the first season and a half that a 25 year old international, bought for the first team, has not proved to be a top class consistent player.

He is no better or worse than on his first day, and not at the standard of most of the first team. Which in turn means that RB is one of the weakest positions Spurs have.

And that means its an area (and player) Spurs need to consider upgrading.

Add me to the "he needs a serious run of games" camp.
Yup, this is it for me. At times it’s frustrating to see him struggle doing the simple things...then you’re reminded of how little he’s played this season.

We know what we’re getting with Trippier, which is not good enough imo, so give Aurier a run of games!

Foyth had a game where he conceded 2 penalties - that will happen. When you have a player conceding 3 pens in separate matches by the same reckless tackles - that's a problem as he had time to reflect after the first match that he had made a mistake...and that sliding tackles were not the answer.

But he clearly didn't reflect or heed any coaching advice, because he repeats the same type of sliding tackle

So you think repeating a mistake 3 times over a few matches is normal accepted (or acceptable) practice ? Who else has done something similar so often ?

But that's just an example,. My basic point is that he has not shown over the first season and a half that a 25 year old international, bought for the first team, has not proved to be a top class consistent player.

He is no better or worse than on his first day, and not at the standard of most of the first team. Which in turn means that RB is one of the weakest positions Spurs have.

It's not even relevant to now though is it? Or you are saying it is? And if you are why is it relevant now, this season?

It's not even relevant to now though is it? Or you are saying it is? And if you are why is it relevant now, this season?

Its a detail to illustrate Aurier's lmiitations in his performances to date..

Spurs have an excess of overseas trained players - if we want 3 or 4 in this summer (as most posters suggest) we need to shed 5 or 6 overseas trained players. So after Janssen, N';Koudou, Vorm....who do you suggest are the next 2 or 3 least good overseas trained players ?

I suggest Aurier is on that very list - after him is possibly Llorente and Sissoko that we might want to replace - but after that the other overseas trained players are players we probably/definitely want to keep. .

So my argument is simple - we probably need to shed a 27 year old international who is not as good as our other overseas trained players in order to bring in others who are better in order to improve the Spurs squad.

He's probably good enough for an Everton, but not Spurs

Its a detail to illustrate Aurier's lmiitations in his performances to date..

Spurs have an excess of overseas trained players - if we want 3 or 4 in this summer (as most posters suggest) we need to shed 5 or 6 overseas trained players. So after Janssen, N';Koudou, Vorm....who do you suggest are the next 2 or 3 least good overseas trained players ?

I suggest Aurier is on that very list - after him is possibly Llorente and Sissoko that we might want to replace - but after that the other overseas trained players are players we probably/definitely want to keep. .

So my argument is simple - we probably need to shed a 27 year old international who is not as good as our other overseas trained players in order to bring in others who are better in order to improve the Spurs squad.

He's probably good enough for an Everton, but not Spurs
I'm not remotely suggesting he's a superstar, I said we can easily find better. BUT what the fuck has any of what you said got to do with him conceding 3 pens (1 of them IMO wasn't rash at all) over a season ago. It simply isn't relevant to how he's playing now.

I'm not remotely suggesting he's a superstar, I said we can easily find better. BUT what the fuck has any of what you said got to do with him conceding 3 pens (1 of them IMO wasn't rash at all) over a season ago. It simply isn't relevant to how he's playing now.

As I said 2 posts ago :

And that means its a position (and player) that Spurs need to consider upgrading

Keep up !

As I said 2 posts ago :

And that means its a position (and player) that Spurs need to consider upgrading

Keep up !
But he absolutely has improved. He hasn't looked like conceding a pen since has he? And that was the point you referenced as to why you thought what you thought, you specifically state because he conceded 3 pens.

It's interesting how Goalkeepers and Defenders are held to a higher standard.

Aurier makes 3 bad tackles in separate games. Not good enough.

Kane strikes 3 shit shots a game. God.

But he absolutely has improved. He hasn't looked like conceding a pen since has he? And that was the point you referenced as to why you thought what you thought, you specifically state because he conceded 3 pens.

pens as an example/

But I do NOT agree he's improved in the last 19 months. He's still (ay best) medium pace. Other than last night he's not a noted assist maker or anything. He's bang average.

Compare Aurier and Vertonghen in the 2nd half. Who is the regular wing back ? Was he better than the majority of the other Spurs players ?

At 26 and a regular international he should be standing out in some matches. He doesn't . As I said he's average.....and taking up an overseas trained player spot where there are plenty of good players who we could upgrade to.

And that's why he's on a short list of those to consider upgrading the squad.

It's interesting how Goalkeepers and Defenders are held to a higher standard.

Aurier makes 3 bad tackles in separate games. Not good enough.

Kane strikes 3 shit shots a game. God.

Not at all. How many good games can you recall that Aurier has had in the last 18 months.

And Kane ?

Its pretty much impossible to upgrade Kane, Its very easy to upgrade Aurier

It's stupid to pretend Aurier cannot be upgraded and should probably be sold in the summer.

But nothing wrong with praising him for a decent performance yesterday.

COYS

Not at all. How many good games can you recall that Aurier has had in the last 18 months.

And Kane ?

Its pretty much impossible to upgrade Kane, Its very easy to upgrade Aurier

If I had a preference I'd rather keep Aurier than Trippier. Won't happen due to the Homegrown situation but I definitely think that when he turns up he's a far superior footballer to Tripps. Trippier steady Eddie, Aurier a little more razzmatazz. Aurier is younger as well and I'm pretty sure we could squeeze more money out of a club like Everton for Trippier's services

pens as an example/

But I do NOT agree he's improved in the last 19 months. He's still (ay best) medium pace. Other than last night he's not a noted assist maker or anything. He's bang average.

Compare Aurier and Vertonghen in the 2nd half. Who is the regular wing back ? Was he better than the majority of the other Spurs players ?

At 26 and a regular international he should be standing out in some matches. He doesn't . As I said he's average.....and taking up an overseas trained player spot where there are plenty of good players who we could upgrade to.

And that's why he's on a short list of those to consider upgrading the squad.
I'm NOT arguing he's a top draw player. I've said we can find better.

For the record, and I hate assist stats, he has 3 assists and 2 goals this season. (Danny Rose 2 assists but 361 mins more, Ben Davies 2 assists but 900mins more, KWP 3 assists from 165mins!!, Tripps 4 assists & 2 goals but over double the mins played 1934mins) so if these float your boat (not me) he's the 2nd highest prolific FB we have behind KWP.

But nothing wrong with praising him for a decent performance yesterday.

Not sure I'd go as far as to say yesterday's performance was 'decent'

He was poor in the first half and slightly better in the second. His cross set up Vertonghen. (N'koudou set up Winks versus Fulham - but was poor otherwise).

I don't know what the manager sees in him and why he is reluctant to play KWP in big games (he played Foyth yesterday after all).

The manager has a stubborn streak in him and may persist in the hope he'll 'do a Sissoko'. I suspect he may be hoping the same for Lamela. However, after 5 1/2 years all our patience may be running out.

In my view, KWP has far greater potential and should compete with Trippier for the RWB position. Ship Aurier out.

If I had a preference I'd rather keep Aurier than Trippier. Won't happen due to the Homegrown situation but I definitely think that when he turns up he's a far superior footballer to Tripps. Trippier steady Eddie, Aurier a little more razzmatazz. Aurier is younger as well and I'm pretty sure we could squeeze more money out of a club like Everton for Trippier's services

But living in the real world where there are very few HG players available to buy, the reason why Aurier is on the list to go, is that he's one of the 'weakest' overseas trained players in the squad.

So if we want 3 or 4 players in next TW, its likely all or most will be overseas trained players and we need to get rid of 5 or 6 overseas trained players...and after N'Koudou, Janssen, Vorm and Wanyama (if he doesn't get back to 15/16 form), then Aurier will be one if the next as he's the weakest in his position.

No reason why we don't sell Trippier too - but we need to get an HG player in (not necessarily in a RB position) to compensate

Not sure I'd go as far as to say yesterday's performance was 'decent'

He was poor in the first half and slightly better in the second. His cross set up Vertonghen. (N'koudou set up Winks versus Fulham - but was poor otherwise).

I don't know what the manager sees in him and why he is reluctant to play KWP in big games (he played Foyth yesterday after all).

The manager has a stubborn streak in him and may persist in the hope he'll 'do a Sissoko'. I suspect he may be hoping the same for Lamela. However, after 5 1/2 years all our patience may be running out.

In my view, KWP has far greater potential and should compete with Trippier for the RWB position. Ship Aurier out.

I'd personally fuck Aurier and Trippier both off.

I don't think either are good enough for a team competing on any front.

Get a new right back in and have him compete with KWP - or use KWP as our starting right back and get a promising understudy (Max Aarons we've been linked with)

Either sell one of trippier/Aurier or sell both and spend big on one RB. We need to develop KWP
I'd personally fuck Aurier and Trippier both off.

I don't think either are good enough for a team competing on any front.

Get a new right back in and have him compete with KWP - or use KWP as our starting right back and get a promising understudy (Max Aarons we've been linked with)
ither

Back
Top Bottom