Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kane, Salah, KdB, Sane, Kante all probably 100m+ if they were available .... Dele can't be far off 100m just because he's only 22 ....

As for Woolwich, their problem was a manager who somehow convinced the club that transfer fees were dying and that all players would run down contracts ...

Wenger says that high fees will increase the likelihood of players running down their contracts and then leaving clubs on free transfers. Both Chilean Alexis Sanchez and German Mesut Ozil are in the final year of their Woolwich contracts. With the amount of transfer levels and the expected amount of contracts the players want, you will have more and more players going into the final year of their contract, You will be in a position where you either extend for money you cannot afford or you go into the final year of their contract. So what happens? The club cannot sell and doesn't extend the contract, so more and more players are going into the final year."

So far he couldn't have been more wrong ... clubs are moving heaven and earth to extend player contracts and add in massive buy-out clauses ... it's such a shame he screwed the gooners so badly NOT
Yeah Wenger holds a degree in Economics I believe

its said Economists exist to make the Weathermen look good

If it was Wengers policy they adopted to hamstring themselves in the market then I'll chuckle moreso.

Yeah all world class players you've mentioned and all will command high end of the market figures ..... im just not sure if they would surpass anything that has gone before

If Hazard goes that figure will be a decent indicator

Well he was excellent at Sampdoria - his kind don't tend to flop in this division. I'd say he's probably been signing of the season. Though that could also be a sad indictment of how poorly signings have fared this season.
Hands down David Brooks for me. He should even be Young POTY.

Anyone think transfer fees have peaked ?

I can't see the next 200m player anywhere .... maybe possibly the French kid again if he moved on

But coutinho for near 150m ?? I mean that literally looks like 100% more than what he's worth

And media talk of hazard and Eriksen now in the 70-90m fees

Contract time remaining had bearing of course

Aren't the German press of the mind that Dortmund have robbed chelscum for their 60m.... I thought the way he was lauded on this forum made that figure appear reasonable

And de Jong. Considered the best young midfielder in Europe 'only' 65m when they bought the last big thing dembele for a straight 100m a couple seasons back

China of course have had their wings clipped ... can't see many more Oscars going for 70m

And this winter window was so poorly traded even Sky couldn't spin it

I think this might be another consideration for our attitude in transfer market. We are trying to find value in a market that is signalling it's over inflated and we are reticent to drop strong money on what may prove to be artificial prices.

Pool were given a free shot due to them being a main beneficiary of that price spike (coutinho) so could with some confidence 'overpay' for the players they targeted.

Man U can afford to take a hit on a number of poorly timed purchases should there be any correction.

City of course can and are one of the leading contributors to this possible over heating

I actually reason it's a further contribution to why the goons have suffered. All their potential big money stars were able to run their contracts down right in the heat of the big money merry go round getting next to nothing for Sanchez and Ozil being compounded further by his wage negotiations taking place in this bull run

And that leaves us. Trying to improve our already excellent squad but without the resources requisite to absorb any reasonable correction should we purchase badly.

I just don't think we've been prepared to gamble

We will purchase again in the summer I'm sure but it'll be interesting where we go in at

No the transfer fees haven't peaked

Like you said Eriksen and Hazard will go so cheaply because of their contract situations. If both had 3 years or more on their deals they would be fetching 150 mill in this market

If Harry said tomorrow that he wanted to move a club would come forward and pay well over 200 mill for him

While there is so much TV money swirling around the game and billionaire owners then transfer fees will continue to be ridiculous and rise. At the top and bottom end of the market.

Championship teenagers who have barely had one good season being quoted at 15-20 mill???? The market is still fucked

Funny thing is you will probably get someone like Levy moaning privately that he doesn't want to overpay in this market, but when it comes to selling his players he demands way more than what the market is dictating. Didn't he tell Real Madrid a few weeks ago that if they want Eriksen they will have to pay 250 mill? Of course the papers may have made that figure up but I doubt it. He demands top dollar for players he sells. Kyle Walker 50 mill:levylol:

Funny thing is you will probably get someone like Levy moaning privately that he doesn't want to overpay in this market, but when it comes to selling his players he demands way more than what the market is dictating. Didn't he tell Real Madrid a few weeks ago that if they want Eriksen they will have to pay 250 mill? Of course the papers may have made that figure up but I doubt it. He demands top dollar for players he sells. Kyle Walker 50 mill:levylol:
It's better than selling cheaply because you thought that transfer fees were too high in the hope every one else will follow.

Arise sir Alan, Teddy to man u was special

Jorginio... Kovacic... Keita... Fred... Bakayoko...

Haven't pretty much every big money CM entering the EPL over the last 18 months bombed?

Has Fabiniho stepped up yet? ...Last time i saw him he was on the fringes or playing CB.

I wouldn’t judge all of those too quickly, it invariably takes time for players to come into a new country/league and adjust to life and a new team/coach/tactics/pace etc.

I never thought Bakayoko was a great signing. But I think Fabinho and Keita were really good signings who are/will prove good. Jorginho does exactly what Sari wants, it’s getting those around him doing it too (not helped by Sari himself using people like Kante and Hazard wrongly). Kovacic is ok, and Fred’s barely been given a chance.

Well he was excellent at Sampdoria - his kind don't tend to flop in this division. I'd say he's probably been signing of the season. Though that could also be a sad indictment of how poorly signings have fared this season.

Not really convinced by Guendouzi - I think it's an aesthetic thing that makes him seem better then he actually is. Not really seen him dominate a game. Compared to say Declan Rice, who is the same age, who dominated Liverpool just a few days ago.

Slightly different players though, Rice is more like a skinny Dier, Guendouzi is a much better footballer than Rice, more like a young Rabiot.

It's better than selling cheaply because you thought that transfer fees were too high in the hope every one else will follow.

Arise sir Alan, Teddy to man u was special

Of course no one will sell cheaply to set an example for others to follow.

Wasn't Teddy running down his contract like Eriksen is? Sugar didn't want to sell him but Teddy forced his hand. In 1997 we got 3.5 mill for a 31 year old who many considered not to be the same player after a serious knee injury that kept him out for a lot of the season previously. Utd fans were pissed off that he was the Cantona replacement

Just a random idea based off of a group chat I am in on twitter.

Alternative to Llorente: Bas Dost? Similar strengths to Llorente. But a couple of years younger

Never understood the hype around Neymar. Nowhere near the level and consistency of Messi and Ronaldo, and I would have Suarez over him all day long. A fully fit Bale too. Of course I wouldn't swap Harry for Neymar either and that's not because I have my Spurs blinkers on

He is in the top 10 forwards around right now but not in my top 5. Overrated by many

Never understood the hype around Neymar. Nowhere near the level and consistency of Messi and Ronaldo, and I would have Suarez over him all day long. A fully fit Bale too. Of course I wouldn't swap Harry for Neymar either and that's not because I have my Spurs blinkers on

He is in the top 10 forwards around right now but not in my top 5. Overrated by many
in his age group he is probably the most exciting, saleable player - He was always Messi's replacement not to compete with him (Suerez is about done age wise and there is no such thing as a fully fit Bale).

If you need a superstar to sell your brand Neymar and M'bappe are the only two options currently. He is a good player and he does some truly amazing things. No point looking for the next Messi or Ronaldo as its very unlikely you will find one.

Of course no one will sell cheaply to set an example for others to follow.

Wasn't Teddy running down his contract like Eriksen is? Sugar didn't want to sell him but Teddy forced his hand. In 1997 we got 3.5 mill for a 31 year old who many considered not to be the same player after a serious knee injury that kept him out for a lot of the season previously. Utd fans were pissed off that he was the Cantona replacement

People keep missing out the bit where Teddy would have stayed, but wanted a longer contract than was being offered. Blame Sugar for not having a clue, only offering a year or 2. Nothing wrong with wanting longer at that age.

Bit unfair to say he cunted us off.

There weren't that many club greats or legends that came out of that period but Teddy stands a lot higher than most.

Back
Top Bottom