January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No extra time.

So I imagine he pulls it during his run up for the match winning penalty and subsequently misses.
Ah, they've changed the extra time rules? Of course... Watford went straight to pens at 2-2 after 90 mins didn't it? Wasn't so sure about the semis but that's probably good news.

3 matches in 6 days coming up (including PL opponents in the FA Cup rather than lucking out and getting some League One side). For an already stretched-thin squad I am absolutely terrified of another key player pulling up with an injury.

The problem is that whilst a lot of us really like the way the club is run and accept it is about buying the right player for the right price not just getting anyone, we all secretly hanker after the agony and ecstasy of the past and the scatter gun approach we have sometimes employed. :harryhmm:
Expecting the club to invest in the transfer market to strengthen our team, after a summer of zero investment, and top players injured until March....is hardly a scatter gun approach

I have pretty much stayed out of this thread because I don't believe we will sign anyone. One thing I have read on here from time to time is that if we did sign someone they wouldn't be ready because they wouldn't suit our system.

Surely there are players out there who are playing in a similar system already?

I believe any good or great players out there can adjust rather quickly. Yes they wouldn't have that chemistry from the start. Good players will adapt quickly i believe. Just look at Babel the other night, he fitted in quickly, gave us a few problems and could have scored. He does know the prem but not his team mates and the new system.

I know some might point at Lucas Moura and say he is still adapting to life in the prem and you'd be right but it's not always the case.

Wilson, Malcom, Bowen and De Jong. Would take. I think
giphy.gif

I have pretty much stayed out of this thread because I don't believe we will sign anyone. One thing I have read on here from time to time is that if we did sign someone they wouldn't be ready because they wouldn't suit our system.

Surely there are players out there who are playing in a similar system already?

I believe any good or great players out there can adjust rather quickly. Yes they wouldn't have that chemistry from the start. Good players will adapt quickly i believe. Just look at Babel the other night, he fitted in quickly, gave us a few problems and could have scored. He does know the prem but not his team mates and the new system.

I know some might point at Lucas Moura and say he is still adapting to life in the prem and you'd be right but it's not always the case.
That Aubameyang lad did alright despite joining in a January window.
:levyeyes:

Dippers lose Salah, Firmino,Mane
Utd lose Rashford, Martial, Pogba
Chavs lose Hazzard, Willian, Pedro
Are they prepared for that?
You could say City are the only team prepared if they lose 3 or 4 of their top players but even they struggled without Fernandinho.
You may want signings but using that argument doesn't make much sense.
I disagree. I think they all have more squad depth than us. & i think injuries every season is 1 of the reasons you need to sign players & improve squad depth. & even if you disagree that there squad depth is better, doesn't mean we shouldn't strengthen ours.
In fact the main argument I don't get is 'who do you drop from your first 11 if you make a signing'. Modern football has moved on from that. Your lucky if your best 11 plays even half of your matches.
I think the who do you drop argument makes little sense.

Did we not buy anyone in the summer? Crikey, you would think someone might have mentioned that by now.

They are all pretending they wanted cover for Kane and Dele now.

Last I heard in the summer they wanted a DM and full backs and Martial.

What they overlook is that had we signed Martial, one of Lamela or Moura would have been offloaded, so our problems would be the same in terms of cover.

Not really sure how Sessengon and NDombele would have provided cover for Kane, Son and Dele either.
Most of them laughed off Shaqiri at the time too....who would have actually been a god send right now.

Back
Top Bottom