January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ummm no.

You think Poch himself has identified njie, nkodou, Janssen etc?
Yes there is obviously some players that he's identified but most of the time it's a case of getting his second or third choice because we miss out on prime targets. That's sadly been the case for years.

"It's all Levy's fault"... How convenient.

TOTTENHAM MUST SIGN MAJA

Tottenham fans are desperate for Daniel Levy to sign a striker this January after the injury to Harry Kane and the loss of Heung-min Son to the Asian Cup.

And Football.London’s Alasdair Gold claims “one financial deal that could prove too tempting to ignore is one for Sunderland’s Josh Maja”.

Sunderland striker Maja, 20, is out of contract in the summer and has said he will not sign a contract extension.

That would leave Sunderland resigned to losing him on a free in the summer, or cashing in now for the player who has scored 15 goals already in just 24 Championship games this season.
Fans will roar if Levy signs 15-goal hitman as Spurs weigh up offer too tempting to ignore–view | thisisfutbol.com

More rubbish no doubt but this would presumably only happen if Pochettino thought the bloke good enough.

Now I have no idea if honest.

You get some strikers who you are sure will be mustard - Rebrov and Soldado for 2. You hope others will be good enough to add some quality in front of goal and where everything tells you they are likely to score goals and then don't, and worse is they look average at best - Llorente and then some strikers for whom you know it's a gamble but hope your club have done the business - Janssen.

Bizarrely a player like Adebayor who was much maligned would have been fantastic now but where are his type and would we go there? Maybe.

So I am stumped but that's okay because I am just a fan who expects his club to be able enough to plug the gaps before they occur and if not to sort them out now.

Last edited:
Barkley clearly was waiting for a big pay day at Chelsea. He’s on 150k a week.

Zaha was priced at 70M

Grealish was on his way then the club was bought and they stopped the sale.

Maybe we could have acted quicker on Grealish but I actually believe the deal was practically done. You can’t buy a player who isn’t for sale anymore though.

The other two can fuck off for that money to be honest..

...Besides, he signed for the Chavs last January!. We weren't even pursuing him this past summer.

I swear I said "most of the time" so obviously there's exceptions (don't know about the players you listed tbh).

So basically "If they're shit it's down to Levy; if they're good they're down to Poch".... :thumbup:

I tell ya what's curious.... Levy get's slated for signing Sissoko; the obvious candidates accusing him of a panic/desperation move.... Turns out maybe Sissoko wasn't such a shit signing afterall, but here we are 18 months later and it's "Levy's tight! ...He's too fixated with pennies to spend the pounds.".... A man accused of £30m panic signings...

£40m for a back-up CB; yet apparently we are pussys when it comes to spending on depth too.

:dembele:

So basically "If they're shit it's down to Levy; if they're good they're down to Poch".... :thumbup:

I tell ya what's curious.... Levy get's slated for signing Sissoko; the obvious candidates accusing him of a panic/desperation move.... Turns out maybe Sissoko wasn't such a shit signing afterall, but here we are 18 months later and it's "Levy's tight! ...He's too fixated with pennies to spend the pounds.".... A man accused of £30m panic signings...

£40m for a back-up CB; yet apparently we are pussys when it comes to spending on depth too.

:dembele:

The fans deserve some answers because neither Levy or Pochettino has said we can't spend. We have also recouped money from sales of players (and wages) and yet nada.

Pochettino can continue to say we will wait for the right player or those that will improve us but where is any guarantee in that?

Since when can a club who don't pay the most or have the richest history rely on such a transfer policy?

He risks losing the chance to create a legacy or maybe he simply does not want one.

Last edited:
I think we just have to deal with the fact that until the stadium is sorted, nothing is happening within the club. Maybe some new contract announcements, but nothing in terms of player movement. Josh could be back on loan and that's about it.

The point is, the club failed to capitalise on that one in a generation spine by failing to back Poch by signing his A-Targets.

The club instead went on sign bunch of limited average players like Trippier, Davies, Wanyama, Dier, Sissoko, N'koudou, Janssen, Llorente, N'jie, Stambouli, Yedlin and Fazio.

A missed opportunity I'd say.
Man I’m bored of reading statements like this. How the fuck do you know who were Poch’s “A-targets”? We have bought loads of players since he has been manager, you’re honestly trying to tell us that he didn’t want any of them?? Bloody ridiculous. In his book he talks about how much he had admired Wanyama as a player, of course he wanted him. I’m so sick of people around here thinking they know everything, when they clearly know nothing.

I like Levy and always have, but there is definitely something going on if we don’t sign anyone this window. It may be the fact we have no funds, I just wish if that was the case that the fans were told. We’ve just built a stadium, I’m sure coming out and saying ‘spending money on players is not financially possible this window’ wouldn’t be the greatest thing we’ve all heard, but at least we’d know it was for a reason.

We all pump our money into the club, signing no one would be criminal, but not being told why is even worse

Fair comment, mate.

...Aside from the fact that buying a shirt of a match ticket doesn't come with the added guarantee of bi-annual transfer entertainment.

In which case, why bother pandering to fan insecurity, if it has the potential to mess with our negotiating strategy?

Besides, when Poch attempts to speak to the fan base asking for "patience" and 'deeper' support; often noting our financial constraints he get's fucking ignored and half the fan-base proceed to rip his comments into small pieces and re-interpret his comments as a declaration of war against the chairman.

I accept the stadium issues are a tough pill for season ticket holders, but otherwise our fan base could really do with man-ing(*) the fuck up!

(*No offense, ladies.)

He's not a muppet but Levy has the final call and they don't often agree - Poch has confirmed as much

They "often disagree"... Distinctly different nuance to your statement and not necessarily exclusively about money either.

FFS, if they were rowing all the time and agreeing on virtually nothing like you imply; he'd have left years ago.

Fair comment, mate.

...Aside from the fact that buying a shirt of a match ticket doesn't come with the added guarantee of bi-annual transfer entertainment.

In which case, why bother pandering to fan insecurity, if it has the potential to mess with our negotiating strategy?

Besides, when Poch attempts to speak to the fan base asking for "patience" and 'deeper' support; often noting our financial constraints he get's fucking ignored and half the fan-base proceed to rip his comments into small pieces and re-interpret his comments as a declaration of war against the chairman.

I accept the stadium issues are a tough pill for season ticket holders, but otherwise our fan base could really do with man-ing(*) the fuck up!

(*No offense, ladies.)

And to counter that Pochettino then talks of being brave, Levy says the stadium won't affect our spending plans, we give significant rises to key players and back to Pochettino who says we are always on the lookout for players who can improve us.

So yes, if we are skint or constrained completely by the stadium expenditure say it, but you know...

Fair comment, mate.

(*No offense, ladies.)

Fair points, but if we have no money it won’t affect our negotiating strategy, as we won’t be negotiating for anyone anyway. I just feel people would be more receptive if they were told the facts. Bad example but the goons have done it, saying they can only get loans. Their fans went ape shit for a bit but Have come to terms with it now

Fair points, but if we have no money it won’t affect our negotiating strategy, as we won’t be negotiating for anyone anyway.

...Until we in turn 'have' to announce ourselves 'back in the market again'...? Very quickly turns into amateur hour... And for what? ...Placating the melts....?

Fook that. Cards close to your chest.

I just feel people would be more receptive if they were told the facts. Bad example but the goons have done it, saying they can only get loans. Their fans went ape shit for a bit but Have come to terms with it now

You'd think so wouldn't you, but X-amount of our lot have already proved otherwise (see prev. post).

Last edited:
They "often disagree"... Distinctly different nuance to your statement and not necessarily exclusively about money either.

FFS, if they were rowing all the time and agreeing on virtually nothing like you imply; he'd have left years ago.
Read his interviews and try again.

Back
Top Bottom