Tottenham Hotspur v. Manchester United (Wembley)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Class presser by Poch. Made some great points and steered away from the managers issue.

Im paraphrasing here but he said " in my 4 1/2 years at Tottenham that is the best 45 minutes we have played"
He then referred back his comments after beating Manure at OT, by repeating that " even though we won that game, I was not happy with the performance, .. today we lost but I am very happy with the performance ".

That second half performance was scintillating. I have read some debate about poor finishing, and / or great goal keeping, but as the gaffer said himself, " sometimes in football you create enough chances to win and dont".

Im as gutted as anyone else out there, but the transformation in the 2nd half, after losing Sissoko, and totally dominating the game tells me Poch is right. Shit happens.

Think this sorts out the Red Card pretty clearly ...

Keith Hackett | Pogba's yellow card saves him from just deserts

Mike Dean went into this match with a reputation for being card happy, having issued nine red cards and 64 yellows in 16 previous matches. This time, he was too cautious. The tally should be 10 red cards following the shocking challenge by Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba on his Tottenham counterpart, Dele Alli.

Pogba’s studs went into the back of Alli’s knee. It was clearly a reckless challenge. The laws demand a red card if a challenge endangers the safety of an opponent. Pogba’s certainly falls into this category, and for Sky pundit Jamie Redknapp to argue that the contact was accidental is stretching credulity.

Dean had a clear view of the incident and has made a mistake by showing only a yellow card. That means that no further action can be taken against the United player.

This is the stupidity of the current system. If football wants to protect employees, it has to have a mechanism whereby the card or punishment can be upgraded. Yet again, we are left bemoaning the absence of the Video Assistant Referee in this circumstance. Its introduction in the Premier League cannot come soon enough.
Couldn't agree more and what I posted earlier: "any decent VAR would've said RED", it was so obvious, especially after one or two replays of the incident.

Couldn't agree more and what I posted earlier: "any decent VAR would've said RED", it was so obvious, especially after one or two replays of the incident.

The sad thing is that Dean didn’t even give him a yellow for that. As far I can tell he got the yellow for throwing the ball away after? So either way, he should have seen red. He should’ve had a straight red for sure, but even if somehow that was only a yellow, throwing the ball away ought to have been the second. Frustrating to watch.

Overall, I thought that we were great. We deserved a better outcome, and any other day we win that in a walk. I was also so happy to hear the press conference of Poch; he’s just pure class and while I like to think he thought the system that United played was laughable, he wasn’t about to say that to the media.

Totally agree, but the thing is, if you don't sign them, then you can be sure they'll never be good in a Spurs shirt.
No one said don’t sign anyone.

I would like unused fringe players replaced....but this “sign marquee” and “spend big” mantra is a fallacy and our team is proof of it.

The ONLY thing that matters is quality.
I don’t care it comes from Preston NE or PSG.

Oh, “you only find Kane and Dele once in a decade”.....well the same logic applies. You don’t know if you stop looking.

It’s not luck, it’s good scouting.
I don’t care if the club spends 60M on a DM, if he’s good, and he’s used and he’s better than what we’ve got.

But I also won’t stab him in the back and say we need better when we don’t win the PL, like most of those demanding it will.
“Should have spent 90M on someone”

Give it to Skipp I say.....it’s all laughable until he turns into Steve Perryman and everyone starts tugging him off.
I’d happily play KWP......but people want to spend big on a FOURTH right back.

Fucking Monopoly chairmen.
We played well yesterday, it’s pathetic.

Proceeds to carry on.....

My thoughts exactly.

Snuggle up to JT all you want... You're the mug that said they weren't even trying today. You're also one who spent most of Jose's Man Utd tenure sucking on his spent, over-milked teet. Go-to footballing knowledge right d'ere!

I will say one thing.

The "you expect effort" was reference that the players did try. Not an argument from me. Maybe I wrote it badly but to make it very clear.

Think this sorts out the Red Card pretty clearly ...

Keith Hackett | Pogba's yellow card saves him from just deserts

Mike Dean went into this match with a reputation for being card happy, having issued nine red cards and 64 yellows in 16 previous matches. This time, he was too cautious. The tally should be 10 red cards following the shocking challenge by Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba on his Tottenham counterpart, Dele Alli.

Pogba’s studs went into the back of Alli’s knee. It was clearly a reckless challenge. The laws demand a red card if a challenge endangers the safety of an opponent. Pogba’s certainly falls into this category, and for Sky pundit Jamie Redknapp to argue that the contact was accidental is stretching credulity.

Dean had a clear view of the incident and has made a mistake by showing only a yellow card. That means that no further action can be taken against the United player.

This is the stupidity of the current system. If football wants to protect employees, it has to have a mechanism whereby the card or punishment can be upgraded. Yet again, we are left bemoaning the absence of the Video Assistant Referee in this circumstance. Its introduction in the Premier League cannot come soon enough.
The one time Mike Dean keeps his red card in his pocket!!
Redknapp a DISGRACE for standing up for him... and he was the SPURS pundit!
Is he STILL so bitter about his Dad, or has realisation hit home that he ended up being a bang average midfielder who never truly realised his early potential??

No wonder Louise left him!!

I’ve been to a fair few matches this season, and I have to say the amount of blatant time wasting the opposition keepers are doing is amazing.

I’m not sure if it’s just the atmosphere in the stadium, coincidence or what but I certainly don’t seem to notice it on the telly.

De Gea was a disgrace with it yesterday, the entire crowd felt it and booed constantly with hisbslowly edging back and Dean (and in other matches, other refs) aren’t booking the keeper. When did this stop for bigger teams? Fucking Ederson was doing it in the City game too.

SpiderSpurs SpiderSpurs
To be clear, you don’t see any difference whatsoever between the defeat yesterday and the one where we rolled over at the Emirates? Or Wolves?

The “only” thing that matters is that we lost?

You don’t see any good signs from the “best 45 minutes” of Pochs reign here? (His words)

You take nothing from Winks performance, the spirit of the team, and the fact that despite the result we were the far superior team.

We lost so we must buy someone.
This place gets worse by the day.

At least we’re not fatigued anymore......
Or are we? Or is it just the full backs fault again and the central midfield that ran the game even though we have 4 CMs injured....

Last edited:
Are we the 10th richest? Some are suggesting theres no cash...even after not spending a penny in the summer.
Nah. 11th highest revenue at the last set of figures, but obviously revenue is only BAU incomings, and doesn't take into outgoings...or in layman's terms, if your revenue is 500 million, and your outgoings are 501 million, you ain't rich. As I understand it, our wage bill is about half that 300 million . We have generally made profits in the region of about 10% before tax under enic, and the hood claims enic have never paid a divvy. No idea if that's true, but if so, it means they have either a) reinvested it in the club, or b) been paying off stadium/infrastructure debt as it accrued, rather than pay it all back once the keys have been handed over

Oh well , look on the bright side............it’s Monday
giphy.gif

Maybe we should ask the FA if it’s ok to fit 60,000 people inside Kieran Trippier? As non-sequiturs go that’s pretty vacant.
I'm sure we could. One at a time. He might have a sore nipsy after, but there would be plenty of bounce to make on DVD sales...the pink pound is a disposable pound, after all

There you go with what is now persistent name-calling... Have you not noticed that I'm being civil and open to conversation with you?

Fake news.

You already stated you wanted "a few key players of Kane/Eriksen level" not cloggers, prospects or squad 'padding'. I'm asking you questions based on that. Attempting to side-track with whining about old transfers that might have been (even though inflation suggests that Mane would be in the equivalent price-bracket today) achieves nothing...

Allow that civil chat bro. You've called me an imbecile and started giving kisses because I suggested we need to strengthen whilst you defended a twat who explicitly slagged off our team (which I've never done - I always say every current player has a place). Bet the twatti didn't get an X. Cliquey prat.

It's not whining about old transfers good grief. The point is that deals are out there so it's dumb saying "well you tell me who we should sign?"
It's like Woolwich fans a while back saying "who can we replace Wenger with?". Klopp was available.

Back
Top Bottom