Tottenham Hotspur v. Manchester United (Wembley)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Da fuck? ...Sissoko getting injured doesn't just magically vindicate your poor understanding of what depth is and what injury means to a squad.

Sissoko (inured) < Started season 5th choice.
Wanyama (injured) < Started season 3rd choice.
Demebele (not seen the pitch since injury) < Started season 2nd choice.
Dier (ditto albeit an operation = 'injured') < Started season 1st choice - Mr 'plays if fit'.

Leaving:

Winks < Started season 4th choice.
Skipp < Graduate... Whadya know... He looks good tho'!

....Yep we "lack depth". :pochrolleyes:

Sonny being away whilst Lucas is still injured; we're likely forced to play one of CE or DE deeper for a spell.... Time to resurrect the 'need more AMs' narrative too, gang(*). :pochfacepalm:

(*Serious note here: Please don't sell Llorente now!)

We face a difficult few weeks ahead awaiting Dier & Sissoko, but fuck all his blaming it on depth.... The most alarming depth issue has been the DEPTH of our damn injury list(*), FFS!

(*We've all seen said list... Let's not play ignorant.)

Listen, hands-up, I hope to hell that we sign a CM in the Jan window as this feels like a an emergency (see above - how long before Winks pulls up too?); but in doing so I face the fact that Poch (not Levy!) will likely stay true to his 'no players unless I believe in them' policy which means we may not.

As for the game... Sad day; I've been encouraged by how we've dealt with our injury woes until now; but I think they, combined with the summer's exertions are finally catching up with us a bit now. Frustrating.... This winter has felt more brutal than ever in terms of fixtures. I know many like the poster I quoted will revel in a false sense of vindication and bang the 'more and better signings' drum (other's no doubt like Ossie Wembley will just wanna sack Poch and burn the club down), but this season has proved how we in fact DO have good depth at a decent quality. The difference making step up for us simply seems throwing £200m+ (w/high end wages) on our bench; City-style... Truth is, NWHL or no NWHL, we can't(*). And as evidenced by Liverpool against Watford this week; they haven't either. 'Lucky' for them they're out of the domestic cups, whereas we're still going strong; beating the Chavs through sheer determination just this week.

(*Lessons to be learned from the Woolich this week on that front too!)

We, after today's result, innevitably face familiar questions being raised about 'big game' mentality, but to do so credibly one simply can't ignore the factors I cite above... Today, it's hard to argue we didn't do enough to win the game even if we weren't firing at 100%.

- Offside goal and a couple of other 'ooooooh' moments in the first half (despite the 'no shots on target' death-mantra).
- Mistake leading to a perhaps save-able goal for them.
- 2nd half = lion's share... Alas, finishing wasn't as sharp as it needed to be.
- I think maybe a CB3 with Dav in the middle may have been a better idea today (esp. with Jan's inevitable 'return-rust')... With our CM woes it might be necessary for the interim anyway now (seems we've currently the most numbers fit at the back).

We have a full week off now for the first time in forever; but the squad is still pretty much at full stretch save for FBs, Foyth, Skip & Llorente. With that in mind; a blueprint for the foreseeable few fixtures:

Toby / Dav / Jan
Winks / Eriksen
Aurier / Lamela / Dele / Rose
Kane

Sunday 20th January 2019
Premier League
Fulham - Tottenham

Thursday 24th January 2019
EFL Cup - Semi-Final
Chelsea - Tottenham

Sunday 27th January 2019
The FA Cup - Fourth Round
Crystal Palace - Tottenham

Wednesday 30th January 2019
Premier League
Tottenham - Watford

Saturday 2nd February
Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur - Newcastle United

Sunday 10th February
Premier League
Tottenham Hotspur - Leicester City

Wednesday 13th February
Champions League

Tottenham Hotspur - Borussia Dortmund

Weather the immediate storm (I'd hope we can lean on Skip - and maybe Foyth - at DM against some of the weaker oppo (Fulham, Newcastle)... Focus on beating the Chavs in the 2nd leg and hopefully we'll have been revitalized by a few returning bodies (Dier, Sissoko, Son, Lucas) by the time Dortmund visit.

Call today 'the day the title dream died' if one must, but we still have a lot to look forward to over the rest of the season.

Chin up, Yidos! :tobyarm:
Load of waffling shit from a cliquey prat.

Gutting result, but not mad at the team. They tried hard and threw everything into getting back into the game.
Some bad finishing though and keeper did made a couple of very good saves.
Shocked we didn't score tbh.
We have played worse and won!
Football is just plain cunty sometimes.
I really felt if we clawed back one goal, we would have gone on to win it. Needed a worldie or a freak deflection though as it was one of those days which we don't often have.

Unlucky ....... is all to blame for today

Disappointing result

Disappointed

Gutted

Is Kane OK? He was having treatment on the pitch after the FT whistle.
Sissoko?!

Dele and Kane were outstanding. Son and Eriksen average unfortunately.

Life goes on

Will we win a trophy this season?!

When will we win the league?!

Da fuck? ...Sissoko getting injured doesn't just magically vindicate your poor understanding of what depth is and what injury means to a squad.

Dier (ditto albeit an operation = 'injured') < Started season 1st choice - Mr 'plays if fit'.

Leaving:

Sonny being away whilst Lucas is still injured; we're likely forced to play one of CE or DE deeper for a spell.... Time to resurrect the 'need more AMs' narrative too, gang(*). :pochfacepalm:

We face a difficult few weeks ahead awaiting Dier & Sissoko, but fuck all his blaming it on depth.... The most alarming depth issue has been the DEPTH of our damn injury list(*), FFS!

Listen, hands-up, I hope to hell that we sign a CM in the Jan window as this feels like a an emergency (see above - how long before Winks pulls up too?); but in doing so I face the fact that Poch (not Levy!) will likely stay true to his 'no players unless I believe in them' policy which means we may not.

As for the game... Sad day; I've been encouraged by how we've dealt with our injury woes until now; but I think they, combined with the summer's exertions are finally catching up with us a bit now. Frustrating.... This winter has felt more brutal than ever in terms of fixtures. I know many like the poster I quoted will revel in a false sense of vindication and bang the 'more and better signings' drum (other's no doubt like Ossie Wembley will just wanna sack Poch and burn the club down), but this season has proved how we in fact DO have good depth at a decent quality. The difference making step up for us simply seems throwing £200m+ (w/high end wages) on our bench; City-style... Truth is, NWHL or no NWHL, we can't(*). And as evidenced by Liverpool against Watford this week; they haven't either. 'Lucky' for them they're out of the domestic cups, whereas we're still going strong; beating the Chavs through sheer determination just this week.

We, after today's result, innevitably face familiar questions being raised about 'big game' mentality, but to do so credibly one simply can't ignore the factors I cite above... Today, it's hard to argue we didn't do enough to win the game even if we weren't firing at 100%.

- Offside goal and a couple of other 'ooooooh' moments in the first half (despite the 'no shots on target' death-mantra).
- 2nd half = lion's share... Alas, finishing wasn't as sharp as it needed to be.
- I think maybe a CB3 with Dav in the middle may have been a better idea today (esp. with Jan's inevitable 'return-rust')... With our CM woes it might be necessary for the interim anyway now (seems we've currently the most numbers fit at the back).

We have a full week off now for the first time in forever; but the squad is still pretty much at full stretch save for FBs, Foyth, Skip & Llorente. With that in mind; a blueprint for the foreseeable few fixtures:

Toby / Dav / Jan
Winks / Eriksen
Kane

Sunday 20th January 2019
Premier League
Fulham - Tottenham

EFL Cup - Semi-Final
Chelsea - Tottenham

Sunday 27th January 2019

Premier League
Tottenham - Watford

Saturday 2nd February
Premier League

Sunday 10th February
Premier League

Wednesday 13th February
Champions League

Weather the immediate storm (I'd hope we can lean on Skip - and maybe Foyth - at DM against some of the weaker oppo (Fulham, Newcastle)... Focus on beating the Chavs in the 2nd leg and hopefully we'll have been revitalized by a few returning bodies (Dier, Sissoko, Son, Lucas) by the time Dortmund visit.

Call today 'the day the title dream died' if one must, but we still have a lot to look forward to over the rest of the season.

Top post
:adesalute:

They looked at the vid in depth, Redknapp said he didn't think it was pen as he thought Pogba was trying to get across the player.
Souness said it was a straight red, no question in his mind.
Keane was wishy washy, not wanting to upset anyone as his Sky gig is still fairly new.
Straight red all day long.

Ever notice how he and Davies seem to find themselves in loads of space?

It’s because other teams realize they offer nearly zero threat. Makes the job of other attacking players much more difficult because they can load the box taking away space.

Davies or Tripps aren’t beating ANYONE 1v1 and their crossing has been average at best this season
I like them both, and I think that freedom might be somewhat to do with clever positioning.....but....you’re right they’re not going past anyone. Which is kinda key

Totti said:
Kane has been an absolute passenger. When we need our man to step up, he simply hasn't.

A shame really.

I agree. These are the kind of games where he has to come through for us. Its how we separate the greats from the good. So far... no good.

Come on.... Perspective please, peeps! He didn't bail us out today.

Leaving:

Toby / Dav / Jan
Winks / Eriksen
Kane

Sunday 20th January 2019
Premier League
Fulham - Tottenham

EFL Cup - Semi-Final
Chelsea - Tottenham

Sunday 27th January 2019

Premier League
Tottenham - Watford

Saturday 2nd February
Premier League

Sunday 10th February
Premier League

Wednesday 13th February
Champions League

Well said, you up for a bumming ?

Yeah brilliant post. Let's show it to Eriksen before we offer him his next deal.
Sure he'll be delighted that we have just enough for top 4. Definitely the situation he wants to be at this stage in his career.
Nah, we should show him one of yours, you know, the one (one ?? Ha Ha) where we will never win anything 'cos we don't sign players, lots of players.
He'll definitely sign then.

Nah, we should show him one of yours, you know, the one (one ?? Ha Ha) where we will never win anything 'cos we don't sign players, lots of players.
He'll definitely sign then.
I've never said that.

But I think if we told him that we'd strengthen the quality of the side with a few key signings so that the rest of the team was on par with him and Kane etc he'd be more likely to sign as he wants to win things. Don't you?

I mean we could explain that we have just a built a stadium and he should stay put during his prime years for our sake but I don't think that sounds too appealing considering his options do you?

Back
Top Bottom