Tottenham v Burnley(Wembley). 15th 3pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'd give priority to resting Toby if possible. If there's anything the last few games confirmed, it's that Jan and Toby make each other better (arguably Toby + Anyone). Burnley will defend deep, so I'd start with Kane but be prepared to take him off on 60 if we're ahead, which should give more space to our other forwards. Rose loves playing the scum, so Davies back in and Rose for midweek.

Lloris

KWP
Dier (or Foyth if recovered)
Jan
Davies

Winks
Dier (or Sissoko if Foyth fit)

Moura
Lamela
Son

Kane

The title is still a possibility, and finishing above the scum in the league > knocking them out of a cup (in which we still have to beat one or both of City and Chelsea). So other than resting Toby for Woolwich, which I think is a must, I'd go with a strong team on Sat.

Hopefully we will get near to the 51,000 limit although there are a few in the available upper bits. Understand loads went out to Spain and we have woolwich coming up and Yuletide of course but it would be a bit disheartening for our heros to run out to a half empty Wembley on Saturday.

I don't think we should be prioritising any competition over the others the moment. Of course we all want a trophy, but getting as higher league position as possible should also be important.

Winning a trophy and finishing top 4 would be an incredible season, but the next match is always the most important one.

...Understand loads went out to Spain and we have woolwich coming up and Yuletide of course but it would be a bit disheartening for our heros to run out to a half empty Wembley on Saturday.
There's absolutely NO chance of that happening...
Apart from the sections that aren't available, I'd say we'll come pretty close to the 51,000 allocation... im guessing 50,300 summit!
Remember, Christmas may be just around the corner, but id imagine that plenty of tickets are being bought as early Christmas presents!!

Added into the fact that LOADS of people will now buy last minute tickets due to the euphoria of last night, and wanting to 'be there' to welcome them back!

Plus don't rule out the allure of a 3pm Saturday Kick-off!!

We'll pack the place out again, don't fret pet!

These lot just aren't very good. It still annoys me that we drew with them at Wembley last season. We have Woolwich coming up next week so I have no doubt we will have an eye on that. I wouldn't do anything too drastic though.

Lloris
KWP - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Davies
Sissoko - Dier - Dele
Eriksen - Kane - Lucas
3-0.

I fancy freshening us up a bit as a) the fear of CL-come down and b) the games are coming thick n fast.

I see the logic in some calling for Kane to be rested, but he had a welcome rest last weekend. Poch will be training them light over xmas and Burnley will be stubborn, so I think I'd prefer to try rest him after the NLD instead. Bournemouth (H) on boxing day maybe? (Despite their qualities, they're not the best at the back and I think we could still succeed going false 9, whereas Kane as point-man could be a valuable weapon against Dyche's lot). That'd mean Wed/Sat/Wed/Sun then back Sat/Tues and then rest him again for the FA cup match on Fri 4th)...

(If that still sounds a lot, maybe we can consider resting him against Cardiff on NYD too....Which would mean Boxing Day & NYD off... Nice for a family man like Harry i should imagine. :) )

Think I'd like to see one of Dele or Eriksen get a rest too... (recent injuries in mind)... Lamela looked good so maybe a start would be good for him too), whihc gives me something like:

Lloris
Sissoko - Dier -
Dele - Eriksen - Lucas​
Kane

These lot just aren't very good. It still annoys me that we drew with them at Wembley last season. We have Woolwich coming up next week so I have no doubt we will have an eye on that. I wouldn't do anything too drastic though.

Lloris
Sissoko - Dier - Dele
Eriksen - Kane - Lucas
3-0.

I fancy freshening us up a bit as a) the fear of CL-come down and b) the games are coming thick n fast.

I see the logic in some calling for Kane to be rested, but he had a welcome rest last weekend. Poch will be training them light over xmas and Burnley will be stubborn, so I think I'd prefer to try rest him after the NLD instead. Bournemouth (H) on boxing day maybe? (Despite their qualities, they're not the best at the back and I think we could still succeed going false 9, whereas Kane as point-man could be a valuable weapon against Dyche's lot). That'd mean Wed/Sat/Wed/Sun then back Sat/Tues and then rest him again for the FA cup match on Fri 4th)...

(If that still sounds a lot, maybe we can consider resting him against Cardiff on NYD too....Which would mean Boxing Day & NYD off... Nice for a family man like Harry i should imagine. :) )

Recent injury record in mind, I think I'd like to see Dele get a rest too... Sonny came off early and Lamela could do with another run-out to prime him for a NLD start (imo) so Sonny & Erik can share 90min like vs. Barca. Hopefully we can get a good foot-hold and take Eriksen off early.

Burnley:

Hugo
KWP / TA / JV / BD
Sissoko / Dier
Son (Lamela) / Eriksen / Lucas
Kane

NLD :

Hugo
KWP(*) / TA / JV / DR
Sissoko / Winks / Dele
Eriksen / Kane / Lamela

(*I'm committed to KWP in the short term given that whoever comes back first (KT or SA), they'll still need to be rotated over the festive period; so let's lavish the kid with game-time... After the Nou Camp, we may as well trust him with a derby too.)

Think I'd like to see one of Dele or Eriksen get a rest too... (recent injuries in mind)... Lamela looked good so maybe a start would be good for him too), whihc gives me something like:

Lloris
Sissoko - Dier -
Dele - Eriksen - Lucas​
Kane

No way he’s testing against Cardiff. He needs a goal against them to complete the set.

Looking forward to this, as long as we aren't complacent, there's no reason why we can't win comfortably.
I'm scaring myself now, as I'm actually expecting us to win, without crossing fingers or touching wood.

Spurs of a certain age are still apprehensive ahead of each & every game, even Burnley at home.

I'm one of them.

One of the first things to go through my mind once the whistle went in Milan..... bet we lose to Burnley...
The thing about Tuesday, although I was on tenterhooks and panicking, the team were calm and resolute, and stuck to the game plan, even after conceding a soppy goal. Mr Pochettino - what have you done to the Tottenham I love?
:pochbye:

Back
Top Bottom