Tottenham versus Inter

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Have I missed something? We needed to win by two clear goals. We could beat Barca but still go out.
I don't understand why people are celebrating this result.
Sorry to be the grumpy bear
Nah it goes Points first then head to heads then goal difference.

So Inter could smash 10 past PSV but if we beat Barca 1-0 we'd be level on points and then would go through on the better head to head

Inter 2 Spurs 1
Spurs 1 Inter 0

Aggregate 2-2 but we got an away goal so we technically beat them over the 2 legs.

The lack of Sissoko rainbow picture is rather disappointing :(

Only the greatest photo taken ever ffs
Dp9qfXYWkAA1EYT.jpg

I had to go make a celebratory sandwich but I have you brother

Would a draw with Barca be enough in any circumstance?

If Inter lose to PSV we're through regardless .... we will finish above Inter on the Away goals rule .... same applies if we both draw or we both win ...

Teams are ranked according to points (3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, 0 points for a loss), and if tied on points, the following tie-breaking criteria are applied, in the order given, to determine the rankings :
  1. Points in head-to-head matches among tied teams; - same
  2. Goal difference in head-to-head matches among tied teams; - same
  3. Goals scored in head-to-head matches among tied teams; - same
  4. Away goals scored in head-to-head matches among tied teams; - we win
  5. If more than two teams are tied, and after applying all head-to-head criteria above, a subset of teams are still tied, all head-to-head criteria above are reapplied exclusively to this subset of teams;
  6. Goal difference in all group matches;
  7. Goals scored in all group matches;
  8. Away goals scored in all group matches;
  9. Wins in all group matches;
  10. Away wins in all group matches;
  11. Disciplinary points (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);
  12. UEFA club coefficient.

If Messi doesn't play, I'm confident in our win. Friend of mine was watching PSV game and he said Barcelona were poor and PSV should've take a point at least. Also, they are playing some awful football this season (hence just 25 points in the league), and their 2 best games of the season were against as nad El Classico.

Have I missed something? We needed to win by two clear goals. We could beat Barca but still go out.
I don't understand why people are celebrating this result.
Sorry to be the grumpy bear
Our goal difference is the same, but we scored an away goal in head to head with Inter and they didn't. Not sure if goal differential is the first tie-breaker or not, but I think it comes down to away goals in head to head first.

If PSV get a draw at Inter, yes.

We have to match or better their result, simple as that

Yep.

As I understand it, we don’t even need to match the score. Inter can beat PSV 10-0 and a 1-0 win for us would be enough.

So buzzing about that result. Still buzzing about the Chelsea result to be honest! Given the importance of winning for qualification, it’s almost been glossed over that we’ve beaten another European giant in the biggest club competition in the world, with Inter on a run of great results too.

Back
Top Bottom