PSV away - UCL Matchday 3

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Besides the new stadium, what kinda of motivation we can throw a guys like eriksen to renew and stay more years with us?

Well he was part of the team (and arguably at fault) that drew yesterday.........there always seems to be this bizarre assumption that our players are somehow removed from any failure and it's us that isn't doing enough

Maybe we should try and bring in a couple of players who have won a major European competition. Or add some people to the coaching staff who can explain to the players what to do collectively when they find themselves in various match scenarios.

and if he had played better we would have won, same applies to Kane who missed loads of good chances.

They are all culpable for every failure and all responsible for any success.
Our squad just isn’t good enough to challenge for the league and the champions league. We are 2/3 quality players away. But as long we make top 4 we won’t spend the big bucks.

Well the players didn’t get away with that performance we conceded the lead and now are most likely heading out of the competition, the referee on the other hand, made several wrong calls surrendering the impetus to them, incorrectly sent off one of our players etc, my question still stands despite your droll comment, how does any referee get away with such a poor performance

Last edited:
Well the players didn’t get away with that performance we conceded the lead and now are most likely heading out of the competition, the referee on the other hand, made several wrong calls surrendering the impetus to them, incorrectly sent off one of our players etc, my question still stands despite your droll comment, how does any referee get away with such a poor performance
Hugo's sending off was deserved. The ref however was horrible all around. If Harry was offside for Dave's goal so were 2 of the PSV players on the equalizer. None of them interfered in the play but all 3 were in an offside position when the goals went in. That being said, we didn't seem to take it seriously until after their 1st goal and appeared to take our foot off the accelerator after taking the lead.

Maybe we should try and bring in a couple of players who have won a major European competition. Or add some people to the coaching staff who can explain to the players what to do collectively when they find themselves in various match scenarios.
What like.............
joie-psg-thiago-silvalucas-mourablaise-matuidizoumana-camara-30052015-ERG3CG.jpg

253f233ad6983d516daa62005f565bde--lucas-moura-paris-saint.jpg

thiago-silva-and-lucas-moura-of-psg-celebrate-with-trophy-after-the-picture-id482686670

serge-aurier-of-paris-saint-germain-with-the-trophy-and-his-daughter-picture-id689458820

process

img_580_380_center_articles-200196.jpg

paris-trophee-des-champions-2015_5391805.jpg

Fernando+Llorente+Netherlands+v+Spain+2010+9FrWApQ7A3fl.jpg

483392712-1024x683.jpg

2014-635295456604419526-441.jpg

999517164.jpg.0.jpg

article-1336147289331-12e49103000005dc-639441_636x300.jpg

1398010660-19810-o.jpg

11683.jpg

celtics-ki-sung-yeung-andre-blackman-victor-wanyama-rabiu-ibrahim-and-picture-id144307278

son-heung-min-korea-selatan-asian-games-2018_119wkfggl94vp108z19w2hs1ro.jpg

We have in our side England's Captain
Englands vice Captain
French national team Captain
Kenya national team Captain
South Korea National Team Captain

What like.............
joie-psg-thiago-silvalucas-mourablaise-matuidizoumana-camara-30052015-ERG3CG.jpg

thiago-silva-and-lucas-moura-of-psg-celebrate-with-trophy-after-the-picture-id482686670

serge-aurier-of-paris-saint-germain-with-the-trophy-and-his-daughter-picture-id689458820

process

483392712-1024x683.jpg

999517164.jpg.0.jpg

1398010660-19810-o.jpg

11683.jpg

celtics-ki-sung-yeung-andre-blackman-victor-wanyama-rabiu-ibrahim-and-picture-id144307278

Englands vice Captain

Yeah, it's a pretty lazy argument.

How many winners did Leicester have in their title winning team by the way?

What like.............

process

483392712-1024x683.jpg

999517164.jpg.0.jpg

1398010660-19810-o.jpg

11683.jpg

Englands vice Captain
We might not need it among the players but I have said for a while that we would do well in getting a sports psychologist on the payroll. To help with the mental aspects of preparation and unwinding after a game.

We seem to have some form of issue with lack of focus this season that needs adressing somehow.

We could get a world cup winning captain to give us some experience of how to win big games......even better if he can play goal

Yeah, it's a pretty lazy argument.

How many winners did Leicester have in their title winning team by the way?
I think there is some value to that kind of experience, that also includes through the age groups too, right down to winning at school level. It's not the be all and end all but might be worth half a percentage point needed, if not in the game itself but the preparation. But the bottom line is we have just bought players in who are MULTIPLE trophy winners and since being at Spurs a couple have also won major international honours, whilst others have got into semi-finals of both Euro's and World Cups with their national sides and with us too. We aren't a rookie side.

We might not need it among the players but I have said for a while that we would do well in getting a sports psychologist on the payroll. To help with the mental aspects of preparation and unwinding after a game.

We seem to have some form of issue with lack of focus this season that needs adressing somehow.
Every team makes mistakes, the game is about mistakes (not making them and forcing them), what is happening is the oppo are scoring from the few we make, whilst we aren't profiting from our oppo's mistakes in the same manner. How many times have you seen Toby get caught like that?

At this level it's all about the mental side of the game, all the players are good enough. I'm absolutely sure we spend time on this, the lodge that we have just built is also part of the whole preparation side of the game, so the investment is absolutely there. But if you are expecting us to make zero errors in a game of football then you are expecting a miracle to occur, something that has never been achieved in the history of the game.

Haven't had a chance to watch the game, but in all honesty, I was expecting us to lose. I have not been convinced with body language, performance and just general fun the team is having out on the pitch. It is great that we keep winning in the league against the teams we should beat, but I for me those performances were full of languid play and a bunch of below par, individual performances.

PSV might not be Juventus or Barca, but they have a solid team that are champions of their domestic league. Remember when we waffled at Young Boys? Don't take any team lightly is the motto, but we just seem unable to kill a team off this year.

WC hangover? I'm not buying it. For me this is years of stagnancy finally catching up with us. The midfield has been our weakness since Modric left and Poch has done wonders to cover the patches, but the wood filler is chipping away.

We have quality in this team no doubt, but we greatly lack imagination and confidence on the ball in midfield and that greatly hampers our ability to kill teams off.

This opinion is not based on the PSV game as I haven't watched it or read any match report; this is based off 10 plus games now where we have struggled to look like a team. From the front to the back, things are out of sorts and I hope Poch can right the ship because next week we are in for a real test.

BTW...the best game aesthetically that we have played this year was in preseason with Skipp, Amos, and Marsh in midfield IMO.

What else is he supposed to do?

Slag Hugo off in public?

He said “Don’t blame any particular player
Blame the manager “

I’m sure he had words with both Hugo and Toby afterwards
He slagged Son off in public so why not..... if we dont have a winners mentalility after 4 years of him in charge whose fault is it

Haven't had a chance to watch the game, but in all honesty, I was expecting us to lose. I have not been convinced with body language, performance and just general fun the team is having out on the pitch. It is great that we keep winning in the league against the teams we should beat, but I for me those performances were full of languid play and a bunch of below par, individual performances.

PSV might not be Juventus or Barca, but they have a solid team that are champions of their domestic league. Remember when we waffled at Young Boys? Don't take any team lightly is the motto, but we just seem unable to kill a team off this year.

WC hangover? I'm not buying it. For me this is years of stagnancy finally catching up with us. The midfield has been our weakness since Modric left and Poch has done wonders to cover the patches, but the wood filler is chipping away.

We have quality in this team no doubt, but we greatly lack imagination and confidence on the ball in midfield and that greatly hampers our ability to kill teams off.

This opinion is not based on the PSV game as I haven't watched it or read any match report; this is based off 10 plus games now where we have struggled to look like a team. From the front to the back, things are out of sorts and I hope Poch can right the ship because next week we are in for a real test.

BTW...the best game aesthetically that we have played this year was in preseason with Skipp, Amos, and Marsh in midfield IMO.
They'd lost their last 10 CL games on the spin mate. Yet you expeccted us to lose....

To be fair, without watching it could seem it was 'same old, same old' - but the performance from ourselves (errors aside) was genuinely fun. Easily our best performance of the season and we were like Tottenham of old.

Back
Top Bottom