PSV away - UCL Matchday 3

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was thinking more of what everyone said about the positive effect Edgar Davids had when he came to the club. Somebody of that kind could be valuable to have around the place.

Didn't Davids fight with people during training? Positive.

Do you recommend anyone by the way?

I don't know the circumstances, maybe somebody needed a slap.

Keane chinned him. Probably thought he was a big time Charlie - again, not really sure what effect he had on our team. His legs had 100% gone by the time he got here.

Do you recommend anyone that we SHOULD sign? Who you think would come here?

It would go against our transfer policy for sure, but e.g. Hummels or Robben? That kind of player ... bags of top level experience, maybe one maximum two seasons left in the tank.

I was thinking more of what everyone said about the positive effect Edgar Davids had when he came to the club. Somebody of that kind could be valuable to have around the place.

Tbf, Llorente ought to have been that guy.

At time of signing he ticked all the boxes.... Even EPL proven.... Chavs appeared to think so at the time too.

It would go against our transfer policy for sure, but e.g. Hummels or Robben? That kind of player ... bags of top level experience, maybe one maximum two seasons left in the tank.

Hummels? When are you wanting us to sign him, in 3 years time?

He's 29 years old, plays for the biggest team in Germany and is arguably one of the best centre halves in the world. Why would he sign for Spurs?

I'm surprised you didn't say Godin. Contract runs out in the summer. Experienced and won things.

He's 29 years old, plays for the biggest team in Germany and is arguably one of the best centre halves in the world. Why would he sign for Spurs?

I'm surprised you didn't say Godin. Contract runs out in the summer. Experienced and won things.

Didn't Godin re-sign in the end after briefly flirting with Utd?

New challenge? Bayern might be giving the keys to Süle moving forward? Kidnap his dog? I don't know, I only gave it 30 seconds thought.

Godin could be another good shout. I would bet Hummels speaks perfect English though, not so sure about Godin.

Yeah that's pretty rare, especially for a big name like Godin. Apparently a contract until 2021 now.

Unless he has some sort of clause in 2019 - because they also have Alderweireld's contract down as running out in 2019 (Which we know isn't true) however has does have that release clause in his contract.

Some corrections...

PSV were shit. Whats more, they have been shit in Europe in spite of recent domestic dominance (eg knocked put of EL at qualifier stages). Not condoning complacency but your rationale is moot.

MF: Who wouldn't struggle to replace Modric? ....Beyond that you're talking guff.... In recent years combos of Dier, Vic, Dembele and Winks have dominated MANY games; some against the very best. Dembele and Sandro also formed a formidable partnership before injury wrecked Sandro.

Pre-season games are meaningless in this context.

Yeah, Sandro was a beast, but weren’t his best years with Modric and VDV? The beast was my fave for the time he was here. Thanks for the reminder on him.

Modric: of course he is an all time great. But we never looked to replace him with a decent technician in the midfield. If AVB got moutninho, I think our whole style of play for years would be better off.

PSV: I don’t care about their past experience in Europe. They are playing really well right now, and despite our dominance yesterday (again I haven’t watched the game, but from what I have read we should have won), I was not sold on us walking away with it.

Why: because I haven’t been convinced this year in a single game. That’s my take though.

Preseason: I get that.

Yeah, Sandro was a beast, but weren’t his best years with Modric and VDV? The beast was my fave for the time he was here. Thanks for the reminder on him.

Modric: of course he is an all time great. But we never looked to replace him with a decent technician in the midfield. If AVB got moutninho, I think our whole style of play for years would be better off.

PSV: I don’t care about their past experience in Europe. They are playing really well right now, and despite our dominance yesterday (again I haven’t watched the game, but from what I have read we should have won), I was not sold on us walking away with it.

Why: because I haven’t been convinced this year in a single game. That’s my take though.

Preseason: I get that.

Trust me PSV were shit. Bossing the Dutch league only means so much.

We beat ourseves last night.

How was it deserved, the game operates on a set of laws, the part that applies is that there were two defenders ahead of the attacker and behind Lloris. The tackle was mistimed not reckless. Those are the parameters for a dismissal in that scenario neither were met. Check your bias then comment
Poorly timed and went studs up with his left foot. Just because he didn't break Lozano's leg doesn't make it not reckless.

Don't get me wrong, I quite liked Davids, I think most fans did, but what effect are you talking about? I wouldn't attribute much of what he did as the standout. I always viewed him as a has been, the fact he came on a free and didn't complete 2 seasons with us kind of points to that. I don't like these type of signings to be honest, I think maybe there is some mileage in them if you are at the bottom of the league or are a team that's come up from the Championship with a load of young players e.g Steven Dafour for Burnley or Leicester signing Cambiasso but when you are already at the top of the league you need to look for players that are going to fight for a place in the starting eleven and remain there.

I think these types of signings are massive gambles and rarely work out, ask Sunderland, QPR and West Ham who I think have cornered the market in signing has-beens. Contrast that with Bournemouth, Wolves, Southampton to name but a few, they look at building a squads with an eye on the longer term.

Fair enough.
So why put so much emphasis on qualifying for it in the first place??

So many people on here get mocked and shat upon for expressing their anger at our complete disdain for the domestic trophies.

Then loads more get ridiculed and shat upon for being angry when we limp lamely out of the holy grail that is the champions league for which we jettisoned the domestic cups to qualify for!

Some have compared our strategy to Woolwich. But you could say it's even worse. At least they've won a few cups.

We just seem happy to take the money and hope for the best.

If you can't understand or empathise with the frustration and anger shown by supporters on here tonight, then I'd seriously question your own passion and emotions.

This is football. For some of us Its a massive part of our lives.

The answer is clearly the money BUT remember the excitement from many supporters at the chance to watch Messi etc. Personally I would have prefered an easier group, qualify and go further in the competition. However it would be a massive retrograde step to fail to qualify for next season's CL after 3 consecutive years.

2017-18 UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE: PAYMENTS TO CLUBS
1. Real Madrid - £78.5m
2. Roma - £74.2m
3. Liverpool - £72m
4. Juventus - £70.9m
5. Bayern Munich - £62.4m
6. Chelsea - £57.7m
7. Manchester City - £56.5m
8. PSG - £54.9m
9. Tottenham - £54.2m
10. Barcelona - £50.8m
11. Sevilla - £42.8m
12. Monaco - £41.2m
13. Besiktas - £38.3m
14. Manchester United - £35.7m
15. Napoli - £34.5m
16. RB Leipzig - £30.5m
17. Celtic - £28.7m
18. Atletico Madrid - £28.1m

Considering Barcelona got further than us, that's pretty incredible.

Only £2,000,000 less than City too who got further than us as well. It's clear why Champions League football is so important to qualify for, regardless of if you win it or not.

Back
Top Bottom