PSV away - UCL Matchday 3

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

6 goals conceded in the last 5 minutes 13 games in. This trend needs to stop it's not the kind of thing I expect to see with a settled team full of internationals and will ultimately start planting seeds in the players heads.

Pretty much half the games we've played we've conceded 6 times with 85+ minutes on the clock. Got to see these games out of we can't knock goals in when having a glut of possession

Sickened. Gutted.
There's no two ways about it, by the high standards we've set, we've been shit this season. It's just fact. I don't care about this 'best start to a PL season ever' bollocks. Aside from United, can anyone name one game this season in which we've actually played well? We've won games by scraping past turd by 1 goal wins and having a shit load of luck in those games to boot. Even Poch himself has said we need to fight against the perception that the wins have given, and that we haven't played well. There's just no drive in the team, no fire. We take the lead and we just revert to this lax passing, trying to "manage the game" when we simply do not have the midfield talent to do this. Tonight we had the attacking talent to take PSV apart, but whilst we had chances there was no real desire to score and finish them off. If this was last season or the year before we would have won this game 3/4-1, I'm convinced of it. There's just no energy or zip about us this season. We look a stale team that have gone way beyond our ceiling.
We're crying out for a freshening up so loud it's deafening. I really hope we regroup and continue to pick up results and ride it out, but anyone who isn't even slightly worried about how this season is going to pan out just is just kidding themselves.

I am concerned that the scum are going to finish above us, they seem like they have renewed energy and we just seem like we are going through the motions every week, that's my biggest concern, they look like they are on an upward trend and we look like we have gone backwards despite it being our "best start" to a season, I think that our points haul is flattering us.

No worries mate, should have put a smiley on my reply.

Here's the song in question confused young-uns...

9J9LLal.jpg

yU7FJll.jpg

pDnnKPU.jpg

OneYIYb.jpg

K8VSdOS.jpg

c4D3qM4.png

L4wB1X2.jpg

vdJTIlH.jpg

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fa725b35e-d7be-11e8-926d-96790161a92a.jpg

uzzO9z8.jpg

January, for a prem club in the top 4 to go two windows without signing anyone would be very odd throw the new stadium going up into the equation and it's not a far off prediction to make.

I agree but I really don't see the owners seeing the logic unless we're within touching distance of top.

If we're in the top four I can see them being complacent and thinking "See we don't need know signings - our transfer strategy is working!"

If we're outside the top four they'll probably think "Well our shite transfer policy is not going to make a difference".

The only way I see new signings in January is from free transfers or if we are so decimated by injuries we need some Llorente style cannon fodder.

We're crying out for a freshening up so loud it's deafening. I really hope we regroup and continue to pick up results and ride it out, but anyone who isn't even slightly worried about how this season is going to pan out just is just kidding themselves.

Correct.

The transfer market isn't just about athletes but about building a team of personalities with a fitting amount of drive, ambition and who are in the "zone" in terms of career&personal life, psychologically speaking.

Do Eriksen, Davies, Trippier and Dembele have the personalities to lead others? Do Lloris, Kane and Dier appear to be in a state mentally and physically where they can drive others forward? Is Dembele or Son even fully fit to start games?

This squad is screaming out for fresh blood, or rather fresh spirit.

I think we can do without the Europa league. Just a complete unnecessary distraction for Poch. He doesnt give a fcuk about it

Let's just concentrate on the PL now. Big battle ahead to finish in the top 4
To get knocked out in CL group stage next season again?
Its SUCH a modern day football/1st World conundrum...
Imagine the disdain if The Cup Winners Cup still existed...?

Who are we to pick and choose what trophy we're going to win... we have (had) fuck all chance at winning the CL this year (we did, don't kid yourselves) and yet THIS is the Competition we're all so desperate to be in... just 'cos they play a made up Anthem at the beginning, like we're all residents of 'Champions Leagueland' or summit...

...and yet a competition that we COULD do well in (I'm not saying win it, but certainly go deep into the Competition) we're treating like some dirty hooker with STD's and Piles, who should be avoided at all costs!

I, and a good many Spurs fans, are from a generation when winning the UEFA Cup (yes, that's what I DARED call it) is still up there with one of the best nights supporting Spurs (though the FA Cup replay in '81 is pretty much on the same level...) ...and yet we'll probably be taking THAT with a pinch of salt TOO come January...

Why the fuck are we SO ABOVE competing in certain competitions...? Cos we're gonna put all our eggs into winning the Premier league are we??

Right, okaaaaaay!

Last edited:
We've played such shit football this season, I'm not even that bothered that we're out of the CL.
And that's because our standard is so low we would not have progressed far even if we were to scrape through.

We will struggle to get top four this year. Our domestic luck will run out.

Sickened. Gutted.
There's no two ways about it, by the high standards we've set, we've been shit this season. It's just fact. I don't care about this 'best start to a PL season ever' bollocks. Aside from United, can anyone name one game this season in which we've actually played well? We've won games by scraping past turd by 1 goal wins and having a shit load of luck in those games to boot....
Couldn't have summed it up better regards tonight and the season thus far. Man Utd aside, I haven't really 'enjoyed' any of our wins because of the displays and the constant feeling of dread of the inevitable equaliser. There's a fucking malaise and staleness that has crept in, not helped by the stadium and lack of signings. Serious wake up call required

Maybe Poch has learned from this but the players just aren't doing what he asks of them? And since Poch knows his alternatives in the squad aren't good enough to take their place he is just trying to keep them all on side by being nice to them and hoping kindness can get them to pull their finger out more over the long term, that seems like something he would do.

I mean, everyone talks about how our pressing game has stopped but I see Lamela pressing every single time he comes on the pitch, I think that's what Poch wants from them all but he doesn't get it from them, he only gets it from them when they "feel" like doing it.

I think the players have become complacent and I think Poch has his hands tied because the squad depth isn't good enough, I think that's why he stuck with Sissoko so much last season because whilst he isn't the best player in our squad at least he busts a gut when he is on the pitch for us.

I definitely think Levy has let down Poch.

The squad isn't good enough or large enough and in that sense I do feel for Poch but he needs to find a way to galvanise the players.

Something is not right. (even Poch had forewarnings abot their attutide pre-Watford). I'm not one of the transfers-brigade but things look a bit stale to me right now and this malaise has gone on too long now.Just hoping the new stadium gives a boost...

(Irational?) fear: 4th season.... Long-form Bielsa burn-out?

:avbshock:

...Fuck knows tbh. We show we're prepared to fight back at times... We've shown some glimpses of quality all over the pitch at diff times; we just can't seem to put in a 90min performance.

:avbcringe:

Back
Top Bottom