Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Worrying extract from the newly updated version of Guim Ballbag's
Poch biography
Pochettino ready to quit Tottenham - Spurs Web - Tottenham Hotspur Football News

Pretty much confirms what many of us were saying through the summer, though.

Evidently clear that showdown talks did indeed take place at the end of May.
And clarification that Poch was expecting new signings of the highest possible calibre.

Remember, these are the words of Poch's friend, confidante, and ghost writer.

I think this is the thing we have to remember. I'm sure Poch wanted players. But what his "friend" is omitting from his little book appendix is the part Poch has played in us not signing any. He even says that what Poch wanted was players sold and new ones brought in. Problem was, Poch had signed a bunch of duds for a lot of money, that nobody else wants to take off our hands.

Worrying extract from the newly updated version of Guim Ballbag's
Poch biography
Pochettino ready to quit Tottenham - Spurs Web - Tottenham Hotspur Football News

Pretty much confirms what many of us were saying through the summer, though.

Evidently clear that showdown talks did indeed take place at the end of May.
And clarification that Poch was expecting new signings of the highest possible calibre.

Remember, these are the words of Poch's friend, confidante, and ghost writer.

It's obvious this is what Poch meant by being brave anyway, but good to have confirmation of it rather than the bullshit theories that people have come up with. I can only assume that the club were unable to attract the right caliber of player this summer, or had financial difficulties related to the stadium but agreed with Poch that signings would be made in the following windows. Or, heaven forbid, Poch will walk before too long.

It's obvious this is what Poch meant by being brave anyway, but good to have confirmation of it rather than the bullshit theories that people have come up with. I can only assume that the club were unable to attract the right caliber of player this summer, or had financial difficulties related to the stadium but agreed with Poch that signings would be made in the following windows. Or, heaven forbid, Poch will walk before too long.

It's been confirmed we were priced out of signing four players in the summer.

It's not that we didn't want anyone but more the fact we didn't want to put up the money needed for who we wanted as well as not being able to try rid of players.

It's been confirmed we were priced out of signing four players in the summer.

It's not that we didn't want anyone but more the fact we didn't want to put up the money needed for who we wanted as well as not being able to try rid of players.

In that case it's not even worth thinking about De Jong as the price looks like Bids starting at £72million.

Said that huge, huge money for Alderweirald was a mistake. Enough to get a top quality younger replacement in was all that was needed. However, there may be a bit of give with De Ligt as a slight knee problem is currently ruling him out and may keep his price down and less desirable to other teams.

I see the Barrios stories are re-emerging. Found it interesting his club said he wouldn't be sold until January.

...Still no less selective to deem Poch as having been no part of our fruitless trf window.

He was part of bringing in those we can't shift (and in turn plays a pivotal role in our HG problems) and also is setting the non-financial criteria of our targets which seems to mean that we have a very thin shortlist to start with.

Needless to say, William Ballache is not inclined to highlight these factors.... Not so 'brave' as to paint a truly objective picture, is he?

Personally, I still can't comprehend a window where we spend £110m and all we end up with is Zaha & Grielish for the bench and am perfectly content that the club were 'brave' enough to pull the plug on those deals... Just not so comfortable with the amount of time spent getting to that point... I've said before, we seem to get tunnel vision on targets that don't really stand to have a massive impact for us anyway... (e.g. N'Jie, GKN, Grielish) and before you know it, boom, the window's closing in a few days.

I appreciate due, diligence, but I fear we (Poch) are taking things too far on that front considering the 'flop' rate we seem to experience with such targets (also see Vinny) regardless... Is mentality, putting ability in the shade during the scouting process goes? As far as mentality goes, it's always gonna be a roll of the dice... Afterall, everyone tries to project the perfect employee in an interview, right?

We'll likely never know, but I'd be curious as to whom these 'brave' (expensive) targets were... Sanchez and Sissoko price-tags suggest that fee alone won't be a prohibitor (within reason) so I suspect wages continue to be a more decisive factor.

...Still no less selective to deem Poch as having been no part of our fruitless trf window.

He was part of bringing in those we can't shift (and in turn plays a pivotal role in our HG problems) and also is setting the non-financial criteria of our targets which seems to mean that we have a very thin shortlist to start with.

Needless to say, William Ballache is not inclined to highlight these factors.... Not so 'brave' as to paint a truly objective picture, is he?

Personally, I still can't comprehend a window where we spend £110m and all we end up with is Zaha & Grielish for the bench and am perfectly content that the club were 'brave' enough to pull the plug on those deals... Just not so comfortable with the amount of time spent getting to that point... I've said before, we seem to get tunnel vision on targets that don't really stand to have a massive impact for us anyway... (e.g. N'Jie, GKN, Grielish) and before you know it, boom, the window's closing in a few days.

I appreciate due, diligence, but I fear we (Poch) are taking things too far on that front considering the 'flop' rate we seem to experience with such targets (also see Vinny) regardless... Is mentality, putting ability in the shade during the scouting process goes? As far as mentality goes, it's always gonna be a roll of the dice... Afterall, everyone tries to project the perfect employee in an interview, right?

We'll likely never know, but I'd be curious as to whom these 'brave' (expensive) targets were... Sanchez and Sissoko price-tags suggest that fee alone won't be a prohibitor (within reason) so I suspect wages continue to be a more decisive factor.

There are weird parts of the window that make little or no sense to me.

-Giving Vorm another year when we knew we had too many foreign players. Surely we could have gone for an English keeper to up the amount of HG players. Foster for £5million would have been fantastic business.

-Not sorting the Toby and Danny problem. The problem was only going to go away if they did. They'll still want the big money. Rather than be grateful that they are getting a second chance, they are now putting the boot in for big money.

- Proper back up for Harry. Self explanatory

-Something to rejuvinate midfield. Mousa said it was too much for him: we make him first choice DM and keep on playing him. The slow rehab of Wanyama and the drop in performance of Dier.. A clusterfuck of epic proportions.

There are weird parts of the window that make little or no sense to me.

-Giving Vorm another year when we knew we had too many foreign players. Surely we could have gone for an English keeper to up the amount of HG players. Foster for £5million would have been fantastic business.

-Not sorting the Toby and Danny problem. The problem was only going to go away if they did. They'll still want the big money. Rather than be grateful that they are getting a second chance, they are now putting the boot in for big money.

Agreed. In terms of the latter, I fear the knock-on effects on Ben & Sanchez (as well as the rest of the guys' mentality) tbh.

Proper back up for Harry. Self explanatory

We know the factors here... A bazzillion times over... Unless we strike gold out of the leftfield (with our academy or a Vinny-type signing); this won't change until such time we can afford to have £100kpw+ players sat on our bench for the bulk of a the season.

Something to rejuvinate midfield. Mousa said it was too much for him: we make him first choice DM and keep on playing him. The slow rehab of Wanyama and the drop in performance of Dier.. A clusterfuck of epic proportions.

A lot of hindsight beneath the surface there. What we've seen early doors isn't/wasn't the plan... We've been suffering the effects of form/fitness.

Projecting Winks to be our main-man, pressumably Poch's strategy was:

DM: Dier / Wanyama / Sissoko (+ Amos)
B2B: Winks / Dembele(*) / Sissoko (+ Skip... Also Dele & Eriksen subject to formation)

(*Less game-time)

...Which isn't the neglectful paucity you make out.

I think it's fair to argue that Dembele should have been outright replaced; but that wasn't a common theme from our supporters; particularly when it became clear he might stay. "1 more year mentoring Winks" was the popular mantra.

It was now time to renew the dream by bringing in new energy in the form of new players of the highest possible calibre

Balague's words in Pochs auto biography
Pochettino's words in Pochettino's autobiography.
DkPNOnLX0AEH75c.jpg

With our budget and the craziness of the market almost all purchase will be a punt, some good like Sanchez and Wanyama some not so good. You want more guarantees you’d need to be hitting 50-70 range these days.

In regards to Grelish i suspect that was just For our Home Grown quota and have a player that can play some part.

Agreed. In terms of the latter, I fear the knock-on effects on Ben & Sanchez (as well as the rest of the guys' mentality) tbh.

We know the factors here... A bazzillion times over... Unless we strike gold out of the leftfield (with our academy or a Vinny-type signing); this won't change until such time we can afford to have £100kpw+ players sat on our bench for the bulk of a the season.

A lot of hindsight beneath the surface there. What we've seen early doors isn't/wasn't the plan... We've been suffering the effects of form/fitness.

Projecting Winks to be our main-man, pressumably Poch's strategy was:

DM: Dier / Wanyama / Sissoko (+ Amos)
B2B: Winks / Dembele(*) / Sissoko (+ Skip... Also Dele & Eriksen subject to formation)

(*Less game-time)

...Which isn't the neglectful paucity you make out.

I think it's fair to argue that Dembele should have been outright replaced; but that wasn't a common theme from our supporters; particularly when it became clear he might stay. "1 more year mentoring Winks" was the popular mantra.

I get the whole problem with getting back up for Harry, but it is a necessity. Had Harry ruptured a ligament with Sonny away, what had we? Would the likes of Callum Wilson be an option, especially giving him a chance to stake a place.

Regards the Moose, I have to say I was shocked to see him continue after he himself said he couldn't cope with the physical demands. That's not hindsight, that was foresight. Injuries, loss of form etc happens. Personally I wanted Barrios and still do as I see his only weakness as hot headedness. His movement and physicality would be a big advance on anyone we have

I know. Its almost like we expect the market rate, and some, for the players we want to sell, but won't pay the market rate for the players we want to buy.
Seems to be a problem pretty unique to Spurs, and ends up with us being the only top level club in Europe unable to add a single player in the summer.
No wonder Poch felt royally pissed off and frustrated

So nothing in the new extract mentions about Pochettino being ready to quit Spurs then.

What is it with Spurs fan pages and shite click bait titles.
Haha, John didn't read the article until you said that.

Hook, lined and sinkered by the title.

This is what happens when you live in a echo chamber.

What is more indicative of Poch's mindset. Signing on the dotted line of a new bumper 5 year contract, or the words of someone that isn't him?

Despite what Sammy believes it was never the plan to bring in no players. Toby, Rose and Dembele were available and expected to leave and hopefully we had replacements lined up but this did not happen. Not sure whether this was because they were not wanted, club wanted too high a transfer fee or the player wanted too high a salary. We had no space to bring in an overseas player without getting rid of someone. Last year by bringing in Llorente we had too many overseas players and effectly had to loan out Janssen presumably at a loss or he sat around doing nothing. I can see that this was expensive and they would not wish to repeat it.
That only left bringing in uk trained players and if they acted early then they could have had Grealish. However hardly a game changer. Not aware of any available Home grown that we realistically could have got.
Many of our best players have not been expensive buys, Dele, Walker, Rose, Toby etc and it is disappointing that our scouts did not uncover someone like this but again not a game changer.
I do not believe Levy wanted to not bring in anyone as he knew he would take the blame and I believe after recent last minute failures like Llorente and Sissoko that Poch told him he preferred that if the targets he wanted could not be obtained then he wanted no one.
Now Poch has not left and unless there are other issues I expect him to be here in the new year.
There will be movement next year unless what seems unlikely all the players, Toby, Jan, Dembele, Llorente and Eriksen sign new contracts.
Whether the process starts in January or next summer remains to be seen but next year will be a bigger test for Poch's resolve to stay. Results on the pitch will of course be a massive influence.

This is pretty much my exact stance on this whole situation. Saved me a whole lot of typing so thank you !

I said sometime before or at the start of pre season I fully believed Poch would only want to sign his 1st or 2nd choices and would rather sign no one else if that situation was not possible. I don't believe it's a case of him walking away because we didn't. I think he's perfectly aware of why what he wanted was not attainable given our lack of ability to shift our deadwoood and home grown quota etc.

We've ground out points in an incredibly difficult start of the season in which players likely know they're here purely because we couldn't sell them etc. Credit to Poch for that.

Injuries complicated an already difficult situation. Let's hope the lads coming back into match fitness brings extra energy and options which is what this all boils down to.

If Pochettino was unhappy, he would walk. He is a man, first and foremost, of integrity.

He wouldn't allow himself to be made a fool of. Some of you would do well to understand that.

"I am happy to keep all the squad together," said Pochettino.

"There were many rumours during the summer, about players out.

"The club made a massive effort to try and extend contracts of Harry Kane, just one example.

"The club is trying to finish the (new) stadium as soon as possible.

"It is difficult to understand for people in football that Tottenham didn't sign or didn't sell players - but sometimes in football, you need to behave different.

"We are happy with our squad and we cannot improve our squad. It is better to keep our squad all together, we believe a lot in our players.

"I don't like to talk about the players who are with other teams - I am happy with the squad, happy with the players.''

How many times must he say he is happy before you believe him, rather that projecting your own bullshit onto him?

Do you take him at his word or not?

It's good that his friend and confidante is now clearing up the issues we spent all summer fighting over on here, dont you think.
Clarification is s good thing. Shame it doesn't suit the narrative some people want, but there you go.
What about the above quote is not clear?

Are words not enough clarification for you? Ok, what about actions?

Mauricio Pochettino signs new five-year contract at Tottenham Hotspur

After all this you needed clarification? No, you just needed someone to rub your belly and tell you you're right. Safety in numbers and that.

You prefer to take someone that isn't Poch's word about Poch's mindframe than Poch himself. You're bananas.

What was that about pushing narratives you say?

What about the above quote is not clear?

Are words not enough clarification for you? Ok, what about actions?

Mauricio Pochettino signs new five-year contract at Tottenham Hotspur

After all this you needed clarification? No, you just needed someone to rub your belly and tell you you're right. Safety in numbers and that.

You prefer to take someone that isn't Poch's word about Poch's mindframe than Poch himself. You're bananas.

What was that about pushing narratives you say?
*BREAKING FIGHTING COCK NEWS*
Pochettino's Auto-Biographer writing bollocks and fabricating facts latest updated version ....

Claims of Poch wanting rid of certain players and expecting players of the highest calibre brought in this summer clearly not true.
Ultimatum that Levy replace unwanted players with equally good aternatives, or hire a new manager also false.

Showdown talks were just a friendly chat with a bottle wine over at Daniels

All cosy and rosy in the Levy/ Poch relationship

Court proceedings likely follwing withdrawal of book.

Back
Top Bottom