Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Personally, I don't think Lamela belongs in that CM group, way too erratic with and without the ball. I love the fact that he works hard without the ball, but every other tackle is a foul. And I'd only ever put Alli in a CM3, he's just not diligent enough without the ball otherwise. Pretty much same Eriksen. I even struggle a bit with the notion of Winks in a CM2 because he's not brilliant without the ball.

I respect that. I personally think Lamela will fit where you put him. Agree on Dele, a 3 is the best fit. But he did play in a 2 when he first came on and he was pretty good. Eriksen is full on a 3 type midfielder.

Winks I fully believe in, but if it is a 2 it needs to be Wanyama and only Wanyama. I agree that he isn't the best without the ball, but with more game time he will get better.

I respect that. I personally think Lamela will fit where you put him. Agree on Dele, a 3 is the best fit. But he did play in a 2 when he first came on and he was pretty good. Eriksen is full on a 3 type midfielder.

Winks I fully believe in, but if it is a 2 it needs to be Wanyama and only Wanyama. I agree that he isn't the best without the ball, but with more game time he will get better.

Poch really needs to get to grips with this, get brave and give it a few games. My concern is that he chucks a new midfield together, and if we don't get an instant hit, he abandons it straight away and reverts to the turtle twins.

Worrying extract from the newly updated version of Guim Ballbag's
Poch biography
Pochettino ready to quit Tottenham - Spurs Web - Tottenham Hotspur Football News

Pretty much confirms what many of us were saying through the summer, though.

Evidently clear that showdown talks did indeed take place at the end of May.
And clarification that Poch was expecting new signings of the highest possible calibre.

Remember, these are the words of Poch's friend, confidante, and ghost writer.

Last edited:
So nothing in the new extract mentions about Pochettino being ready to quit Spurs then.

What is it with Spurs fan pages and shite click bait titles.

So nothing in the new extract mentions about Pochettino being ready to quit Spurs then.

What is it with Spurs fan pages and shite click bait titles.
Yes, hopefully a bullshit headline. But no hiding away from the fact that Poch was expecting new signings and felt it necessary to voice his concerns about the need to avoid stagnation within the squad.

It's good that his friend and confidante is now clearing up the issues we spent all summer fighting over on here, dont you think.
Clarification is s good thing. Shame it doesn't suit the narrative some people want, but there you go.

Yes, hopefully a bullshit headline. But no hiding away from the fact that Poch was expecting new signings and felt it necessary to voice his concerns about the need to avoid stagnation within the squad.

It's good that his friend and confidante is now clearing up the issues we spent all summer fighting over on here, dont you think.
Clarification is s good thing. Shame it doesn't suit the narrative some people want, but there you go.

Well, without direct quotes from Poch or from Balague on the matter, it seems like it will be very difficult to prove either way.

Well, without direct quotes from Poch or from Balague on the matter, it seems like it will be very difficult to prove either way.
It was now time to renew the dream by bringing in new energy in the form of new players of the highest possible calibre

Balague's words in Pochs auto biography

The more I read, the more I'm of the opinion that ENIC will hold a massive auction to the highest bidder sometime next year. As well as the new stadium, they want to keep Poch as a key selling point. They want the highest possible return, so spending big on players now would make no sense before they leave.

Got a feeling we will be the next Man City (for better or worse).

"Levy had to do one of two things, either get rid of certain players and replace them with others who are good enough or look for a new coach "
Ballague, in Pochs Auto biography

The renewal of his contract at the end of may was the consequence of some tough, but totally necessary conversations that took place...

No showdown talks, I'm told. Levy and Poch get on like a house on fire and share exactly the same principles and ideas. :roflmao:

Last edited:
The renewal of his contract at the end of may was the consequence of some tough, but totally necessary conversations that took place...

No showdown talks, I'm told. Levy and Poch get on like a house on fire and share exactly the same principles and ideas.

I dunno John. You could be right, but it seems an extremely cryptic and indirect form of communication.

I dunno John. You could be right, but it seems an extremely cryptic and indirect form of communication.
I think the headline of the article is sensationalist, as another poster pointed out, but the words of Ballague are pretty clear and transparent. I can't see how they can be interpreted in any other way.
I've no doubt some will try their best though ;)

The more I read, the more I'm of the opinion that ENIC will hold a massive auction to the highest bidder sometime next year. As well as the new stadium, they want to keep Poch as a key selling point. They want the highest possible return, so spending big on players now would make no sense before they leave.

I wish. BUY everyone.:tobyarm:

Despite what Sammy believes it was never the plan to bring in no players. Toby, Rose and Dembele were available and expected to leave and hopefully we had replacements lined up but this did not happen. Not sure whether this was because they were not wanted, club wanted too high a transfer fee or the player wanted too high a salary. We had no space to bring in an overseas player without getting rid of someone. Last year by bringing in Llorente we had too many overseas players and effectly had to loan out Janssen presumably at a loss or he sat around doing nothing. I can see that this was expensive and they would not wish to repeat it.
That only left bringing in uk trained players and if they acted early then they could have had Grealish. However hardly a game changer. Not aware of any available Home grown that we realistically could have got.
Many of our best players have not been expensive buys, Dele, Walker, Rose, Toby etc and it is disappointing that our scouts did not uncover someone like this but again not a game changer.
I do not believe Levy wanted to not bring in anyone as he knew he would take the blame and I believe after recent last minute failures like Llorente and Sissoko that Poch told him he preferred that if the targets he wanted could not be obtained then he wanted no one.
Now Poch has not left and unless there are other issues I expect him to be here in the new year.
There will be movement next year unless what seems unlikely all the players, Toby, Jan, Dembele, Llorente and Eriksen sign new contracts.
Whether the process starts in January or next summer remains to be seen but next year will be a bigger test for Poch's resolve to stay. Results on the pitch will of course be a massive influence.

It’s a difficult one to call. The new stadium is about to make the club much more profitable. Not just the stadium but the whole Northumberland project. Would ENIC want to sell a reliable asset?

On the other hand, they could make a huge profit straight away by just selling. Personally I think Brexit will see any potential sale delayed for a few years, as any prospective new owner would surely want to see what impact it has on football in England (and it’s probably not going to be positive).

It’s a difficult one to call. The new stadium is about to make the club much more profitable. Not just the stadium but the whole Northumberland project. Would ENIC want to sell a reliable asset?

On the other hand, they could make a huge profit straight away by just selling. Personally I think Brexit will see any potential sale delayed for a few years, as any prospective new owner would surely want to see what impact it has on football in England (and it’s probably not going to be positive).

Not really sure who they are selling to- global economy is not doing great.
US Interest rates apparently set to rise more. Trump sanctions hitting ev'rybody.
Only buyers that would make sense to me in such a scenario would be American ones.
Guess that would fit in with all the NFL ties and such...

I think the headline of the article is sensationalist, as another poster pointed out, but the words of Ballague are pretty clear and transparent. I can't see how they can be interpreted in any other way.
I've no doubt some will try their best though ;)
Still can't believe people actually took his end of season quotes to mean he wanted to make no signings lol

Back
Top Bottom