2018 FIFA WORLD CUP RUSSIA 14th June - 15th July

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought England were world beaters , now wanting to come second for a better draw?
Don't you have to beat the best to win the thing.

Win every game and beat anyone put in front of you.
Southgate 'I want England to play in a way to put a smile on peoples faces" .
I know what would put a smile on mine?
I don't care how we get to the final and win. I really don't.
We have had absolute heartache for so many years that in all honesty no England fan really gives a shit how we do it.

So, if we do beat Belgium, then enter the hardest half of the draw and get knocked out a game or two later, only for Belgium to make the final, I’ll come back to you Mick to ask which bit of the “wtf, fucked up logic” your gung-ho simplistic naivety struggled with.

But, if we beat them and then go on to beat every other of the world’s best 4 teams and win the whole damn thing on a surge of confidence, I’ll publicly ackowkedge your strategic acumen and take my hat off to you.

I know which I think is the more likely.

PS I’m hugely flattered Mick, given the tens of thousands of other posts elsewhere on this forum, that my pretty straightforward analysis “was the most fucked up you’ve ever seen”!!

Exactly. Logically it would be better to let the big teams knock each other out and play who’s left as late as possible for all sorts of reasons - that’s if we’re trying to win it of course.

It’s funny, but you see the same people praying for lower league opposition when we play in the FA Cup. I don’t see anyone hoping for City away in the 3rd round. Weird.

I don't see why "losing is unacceptable" Totti or why, John, "coming second is bollocks". If we were to come second in the group and win the tournament who'd give a fuck about the former??

Coming second significantly increases our chances of making the semi, once we're in the semis anything can happen. It's what every other side would do to get another star - beating Belgium (on purpose) would just be crass.
Would tend to agree.

The objective isn't to beat Belgium. The objective is to win the World Cup. You do what you can to win the World Cup. The only doubt I have about the Belgium game is the power of momentum, does winning give you the momentum you need? Is momentum that important? Especially as you purposely throw the game, which means you have achieved what you set out to do. If you set out to win the game because winning it and topping the group meant a more favourable draw and you lost the game, then does this mean you lose momentum?

All I know is this one of these teams will 100% be in a World Cup semi-final: Switzerland, Belgium, Sweden, England, Senegal, Japan or Colombia. Just take a step back and look at those teams, now ask yourself do you improve your chances of winning the World Cup by losing against Belgium? Hell yeah!

53ab9458-3803-4376-8d81-dbb258b0a440_1000.jpg

Anyway, whatever our route, I have to say that I started out 10 days ago with a "who gives a fuck" attitude to the whole thing but I now definitely do give a fuck - a bit like the old days of watching England.

Partly because of the Kane effect but also because Southgate has, despite my scepticism, proved to be an engaging and competent national team manager - so nice to hear someone talking sense to the media and so much better than his fuckwit predecessors - I hope he stays on whatever happens.

One game at a time.

I want us to win tonight and finish top. I understand the argument for being in the other half as it looks an 'easier' path to the final but not sure how we can play for it. Throw in a goal? Put in some naughty tackles?

Losing on purpose would be a disgrace, the most shameful moment in our entire football history. No, can't do that.

Some cheap yellow cards? These wouldn't be without risk. Cards are no longer rescinded at the end of the group stage but after the quarter-finals. Can easily see how this could bite one back on the arse!

Nah, play to win and see how the cards fall. We could end up playing Japan in the second round then face Mexico after they knocked out Brazil.

At the same time Colombia could beat Belgium in the second round as too many of their players lost momentum.

4 or 5 changes at most then let's go for the three points.

Come on England!

This is all well and good but Colombia were extremely impressive against Poland...imagine playing to lose only to get tonked by then in the next round...

Maybe Arty, but it's not the R16 match that's the issue (one of Japan, Senegal, Colombia - no big difference between them), it's the QF - who would you rather play, Sweden or Brazil?

Once we're into a semi then anything can happen.

One game at a time.

I want us to win tonight and finish top. I understand the argument for being in the other half as it looks an 'easier' path to the final but not sure how we can play for it. Throw in a goal? Put in some naughty tackles?

Losing on purpose would be a disgrace, the most shameful moment in our entire football history. No, can't do that.

Some cheap yellow cards? These wouldn't be without risk. Cards are no longer rescinded at the end of the group stage but after the quarter-finals. Can easily see how this could bite one back on the arse!

Nah, play to win and see how the cards fall. We could end up playing Japan in the second round then face Mexico after they knocked out Brazil.

At the same time Colombia could beat Belgium in the second round as too many of their players lost momentum.

Come on England!

Yep, I do have sympathy with the emotional argument of the 'national disgrace' analysis - I imagine we'd all feel similar, I'm just saying that no-one would remember that on the day of the final, and that's not how the Germans or Italians would play it - they would plot the best route to the final.

This is all well and good but Colombia were extremely impressive against Poland...imagine playing to lose only to get tonked by them in the next round...
Belgium will definitely be playing to lose and if they do they’ll go further than us. Why must we be so gung-ho all the time? Beating a team who’s not trying to win means nothing anyway, apart from deliberately throwing yourself in the shark tank - which is what we’ll do. Let’s be cute for once.

Where's all this evidence of more savvy teams plotting their way to World Cup wins? Can't think of any times Italy, Germany or Brazil have thrown games.

Not thought that hard tbf, but still...

Maybe Arty, but it's not the R16 match that's the issue (one of Japan, Senegal, Colombia - no big difference between them), it's the QF - who would you rather play, Sweden or Brazil?

Once we're into a semi then anything can happen.
One game at a time mate....you're only setting yourself up for disappointment...To answer your question though, I've been more impressed by Sweden, they won what should have been a very easy group....for Germany. Brazil? Paulinho has been one of their best players...let that sink in for a minute...

Where's all this evidence of more savvy teams plotting their way to World Cup wins? Can't think of any times Italy, Germany or Brazil have thrown games.

Not thought that hard tbf, but still...

They don't worry about it, they just play whomever is next and plot how to beat them.

Perhaps Mexico will beat Brazil anyway and one could argue the best two teams are both in the bottom section; Spain and Croatia. Maybe better to avoid them.

Anyway, let's get tonight's game out of the way and let the chips fall where they may.

One game at a time mate....you're only setting yourself up for disappointment...To answer your question though, I've been more impressed by Sweden, they won what should have been a very easy group....for Germany. Brazil? Paulinho has been one of their best players...let that sink in for a minute...

Well, yes - that's not a bad point. I'm not going to agree Arty, but I'm not disagreeing either!

I just checked Mr S Pippo

Italy 2006 World Cup winners - finals in same format.
Toughest route ever to the semis to face Germany.
We all know they beat France in the final.

Anyway before that.

Round of 16. Australia.
Quarter final. Ukraine.

“The best of the best”. Said no one ever.

And you know what.

I bet no one in Italy gives a flying fuck, because they won it.
They should have lost in the round of 16.

We were all over them on the brink of ET. Then Grosso dived and Totti from memory sunk the ensuing penalty. Yeah I am still bitter over it too.

Fuck Italy. Diving little cunts who play boring football.

One game at a time.

Come on England!

Hope Gareth's listening....I'll tell you the perfect way....... 0-0 with 10 minutes to go...... Send on Pope to give away a penalty........ And get a red card..... That's security in case the gits miss the penalty......

Job done and all down The Winchester for a craft pint :)

Lose in last 16 .....

Back
Top Bottom