Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When the contract was written £25m for a 30 year old defender would have seemed reasonable with a year to go!!
He definitely has two years left, the first where we get what we demand the second a fixed maximum £25m.
But isn't the release clause triggered if and when we exercise our option to extend? If, for example, we don't extend, can he leave for free in 12 months?

But isn't the release clause triggered if and when we exercise our option to extend? If, for example, we don't extend, can he leave for free in 12 months?
If we extend, he can leave now for a load of money, next summer for £25m, or the summer after for free.
If we don’t extend, he can leave now for a load of money or go for a free next summer.

Good old Tobes eh.......its called running down your contract
I think he's been a fool not to renegotiate earlier
(Let's be honest he could still force a move)
And this release clause hasn't got him closer to a signing on fee or any real position of strength for him

He's been collecting half his value for 2 years now

Badly advised by a shit agent imo

I think he's been a fool not to renegotiate earlier
(Let's be honest he could still force a move)
And this release clause hasn't got him closer to a signing on fee or any real position of strength for him

He's been collecting half his value for 2 years now

Badly advised by a shit agent imo

Probably why he’s going to hang around for another year and then leave for nothing, making himself and agent the most they can get out of it at this stage.

You never know maybe he’s realised that Spurs don’t need him as badly as he thought, Utd aren’t willing to pay, no one else is interested, and our offer looks like the best deal out there and he signs it.

For me his commitment has been laid bare though for all to see...despite what Poch said, we all know why he was dropped.
Look at Dele and Kane when they were poor, he played them anyway and everyone thought that was great....no way he’s dropping Toby for 4 months over a dip in form.

Good old Tobes eh.......its called running down your contract
Good old Toby for agreeing to a 25million release clause to ensure Spurs would be guarenteed a healthy profit should either party wish to move on. Good old Toby for refusing to rip up his existing deal and sign a new one on terms he aint agreeable to.
Try supporting our players rather than pissing all over them.

Good old Toby for agreeing to a 25million release clause to ensure Spurs would be guarenteed a healthy profit should either party wish to move on. Good old Toby for refusing to rip up his existing deal and sign a new one on terms he aint agreeable to.
Try supporting our players rather than pissing all over them.
Oh nice try John....its not me that wants half the squad replaced though is it. You mock me for not working wanting signings then say I’m not supporting our players....hahah work that one out
Try supporting Tripper or Davies, or Son and Lamela....instead of the Man U and Madrid players you’d happily replace them all with.

You’re so naive when you want to be. What happens if Toby walks for free in the end?
I know, it will be good old Toby, he wanted to leave for 50M but Levy wouldn’t let him.

You have demanded he not be sold.....now you praise Toby for not signing a new contract! And not Levy for telling Utd to fuck off...fuck mine

Good old Sammy. Sucking off the board. Shitting on the players.
The model fan.
Haha...Levy is more important to this club than Toby ever will be.

No problems for me John, I absolutely suck the board off....they have taken this club to where we are now. Toby wants out of it, he can go as far as I care.

Again John, I’ve backed the squad....I’ve backed the academy, I’ve backed out targeted players, I’ve backed our policy, our season and the club.

Keep backing Toby FC, while you belittle Sanchez and Foyth to make your point stick

Picking and choosing which news to believe then I see. Everything that suits you is a true rumour and what doesn’t suit you is unsubstantiated Twitter bullshit.

How easy for you.
It’s very easy for me yes.

Are there any quotes? Yes. Then I believe it.

Are there any quotes? No. Could well be bullshit.

I’m certainly not keen on chucking one of our best players under the bus just because the odd journo and twat on here says he’s not signing a contract. But if you’re fine doing that to one of our players, that’s fine. Just not my idea of supporting the players or the club.

It’s very easy for me yes.

Are there any quotes? Yes. Then I believe it.

Are there any quotes? No. Could well be bullshit.

I’m certainly not keen on chucking one of our best players under the bus just because the odd journo and twat on here says he’s not signing a contract. But if you’re fine doing that to one of our players, that’s fine. Just not my idea of supporting the players or the club.

Its got nothing to do with twitter or the odd journo:
Here is why I believe he hasnt signed:

1) He hasnt signed. There have been negotiations with him for over a year now, so unless the club are keeping it a secret, he hasnt renewed

2) Poch denied he was dropped for personal reasons, but in doing so revealed there was a contract issue: As in he said Toby was dropped due to form, not because of the contract issue which is "between Toby and the club"

3) Poch dropped him for four months, while Toby was saying to the papers he was fit, and indeed played for Belgium

4) I dont believe Poch would do that to a key player if it wasnt personal....and I believe that has to do with his committment as was evident with Walker under very similar circumstances (after he´d signed)

I can give reasoning to everything you throw at me, but like John, you are quick to dissapear when I demand the same back.

Or he’s not been offered one. Keep supporting our guys!
Hang on...we don’t operate like Woolwich. We have been “upgrading” contracts left, right & centre. It’s not really a serious suggestion that we haven’t made any offer to Toby, is it?
I will support our players, but they come & go. And if Toby goes, I’m confident that Poch will have ok’d it. Maybe letting Toby go is one of the risks he spoke of? My faith is more in the manager than a Belgian centre half who doesn’t want to sign a new contract. That’s his business, but we have just given Harry “the going rate”, or at least a contract he was delighted to sign. That shows to me that the players Poch wants, & the players who want to stay, will get the contracts they deserve.

Hang on...we don’t operate like Woolwich. We have been “upgrading” contracts left, right & centre. It’s not really a serious suggestion that we haven’t made any offer to Toby, is it?
I will support our players, but they come & go. And if Toby goes, I’m confident that Poch will have ok’d it. Maybe letting Toby go is one of the risks he spoke of? My faith is more in the manager than a Belgian centre half who doesn’t want to sign a new contract. That’s his business, but we have just given Harry “the going rate”, or at least a contract he was delighted to sign. That shows to me that the players Poch wants, & the players who want to stay, will get the contracts they deserve.

Mate its full on contradictions and nonsense at this stage.......laud Poch, and then deny Toby has been offered a contract. Why arent they slating Poch for not sorting it earlier then?
Thats bad management.

The fact is, Poch has tried to fix it, and the player wont sign. The denial is laughable

Its got nothing to do with twitter or the odd journo:
Here is why I believe he hasnt signed:

1) He hasnt signed. There have been negotiations with him for over a year now, so unless the club are keeping it a secret, he hasnt renewed

2) Poch denied he was dropped for personal reasons, but in doing so revealed there was a contract issue: As in he said Toby was dropped due to form, not because of the contract issue which is "between Toby and the club"

3) Poch dropped him for four months, while Toby was saying to the papers he was fit, and indeed played for Belgium

4) I dont believe Poch would do that to a key player if it wasnt personal....and I believe that has to do with his committment as was evident with Walker under very similar circumstances (after he´d signed)

I can give reasoning to everything you throw at me, but like John, you are quick to dissapear when I demand the same back.
You give reasoning that’s all based on supposition and rumour. I’d rather wait until the facts come out. Until then, he’s a Spurs player and I’ll support him. And look, sometimes that doesn’t work out too well (Sol), but it’s how I like to operate.

As it is, I believe the truth will be somewhere in the middle. I doubt very much that he agreed to 130k then went back and demanded 180k on the day of signing. I imagine he probably has been offered a contract that he hasn’t yet signed as he’s not felt it hit the right level, but I don’t know this for a fact.

You’ve also been very clear that Sanchez had been playing very well and Toby has been rubbish in any games this year. Yet above you are saying that there no way Poch would drop a key player. Is he key or rubbish?

As I’ve said, you pile in to Toby for maybe not signing a possibly suitable contract. I’ll join you if or when he signs for someone else. Until then, I’m keeping an open mind.

Mate its full on contradictions and nonsense at this stage.......laud Poch, and then deny Toby has been offered a contract. Why arent they slating Poch for not sorting it earlier then?
Thats bad management.

The fact is, Poch has tried to fix it, and the player wont sign. The denial is laughable
I’m not really convinced Poch does many of our contract negotiations. Thought that was Levy.

You give reasoning that’s all based on supposition and rumour

No. Poch dropped Toby for 4 months and as with Dele and Kane we know that he doesnt do that with key players just for being off form. I have used the Walker situation to help draw my opinions here, I just explained it to you.
You think its rumour that Tobys negotiations have been ongoing for about a year?

Or you think they just started? On what have you based your opinion on that are any talks at all. You believe he has been offered a contract that he hasnt signed you say now.
Based on what? Which quotes?
When I say the exact same thing, you say its rumour......do you have inside info? No.....so as I said, you pick and choose form the media what you believe when it suits, and when it doesnt, its twitter rubbish.

I’m not really convinced Poch does many of our contract negotiations. Thought that was Levy.

Well I believe Poch discuss with Levy what players he wants to be offered contracts, and how long, and how much they should paid.
If Poch wanted Toby to renew, which I believe he does, he would have gone to Levy a long time ago to get the talks started. I believe they did, last summer in fact, and to this day, he hasnt signed.

Maybe you think they dont talk, and that Levy goes around randomly offering contracts whenever he feels the need, and the manager of the club gets a nice surprise the next day.
Im starting to think some of you think we are West Ham

Back
Top Bottom