Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Unless we somehow developed a philosopher's stone and can operate on an endless budget that is just not true.

The books have to be balanced. End off. Preferrably we need to make a profit every year.

One bad year financially, especially at this point can send the entire project tumbling back down.

The best teams can win things whilst balancing the books.

And just as the books need to be balanced so does the squad. I'm not saying that Toby is actively causing trouble but if he wants out he can be a distraction in the locker room. And having a disruptive voice in the locker room can cause fare more trouble to a title campaign then if we made a profit or loss on transfers.

I agree with your point about obstructive voices in the dressing room. Whether that's a problem with Toby, who can say?

I don't see how this impacts balancing the books in any serious way though. If as a club we are fucked if we don't sell one player for £70M instead of £25M then the club would not be being well run. We didn't buy Toby knowing we'd make a profit on him in the future. What if he had a serious injury or turned out to be shit? I dare say we could make a 100% loss on him and the project would not fail. It's not tied to any one player like that. There are arguments for selling him, in not totally on one side of the debate but I don't find this particular argument very convincing.

And my point is that his drop in form has been since his knee injury in 2016-17. We thought he would be 100% back to his old self this year, and yet even before the hamstring went he was maybe 80-85% and Sanchez was almost immediately preferred to him in the center of the 3 man defence after just 3 poor defensive matches (we played 4 at the back with Verts/Toby against Newcastle, Chelsea, Burnley and took 4 points). When he returned from his hamstring injury, he was even poorer and Pochettino basically said he wasn't playing because he wasn't better than the players who were in front of him (i.e - Sanchez). When he did play late in the year, he was very poor - backing up Poch's comments.

I think he'll never be the player he was in 2015-17 ever again. He's aging a bit and has lost his pace, he's had 2 bad leg injuries and he has not proven he can recover from them fully. On top of that, our club record signing plays in the same position, and just received a brand new 6 year contract.

So you've now got a 29 year old second choice center half coming off 2 injuries. People are panicking over this way more than they should - at this point he is more of a name than an actual player to be this worked up about.

Excellent post

People making uncomplimentary remarks about Toby, is exactly like someone you loved with all your heart, but who cheat on you, and you then feel they are the scum of the earth and wish them nothing but bad luck. If the transfer doesn't happen, are we going to forgive (but never forget!)?

Hopefully yes

Yeah you're probably right, not expecting him to be a "role model" so guess he can do what he wants in his spare time.

Doubt he's riding around on a BMX with a kitchen knife under his England top anyway so that's a positive.

Dont get me wrong, Id rather he wasnt being a dick too, but hopefully its just bravado and if he is going to stick around he moves away from all that shit

In The Telegraph today......

Toby Alderweireld has said he is open to the idea of staying at Tottenham Hotspur as the defender heads to the World Cup with his future still unclear.

Alderweireld has been targeted by Manchester United after failing to agree a new deal in north London.

Tottenham had hoped to sell the Belgian before the World Cup but negotiations have been slow to progress. Alderweireld will now fly to Russia with his long-term future hanging in the balance.

It remains unlikely that the 29-year-old will still be a Tottenham player next season, but he has not committed himself to leaving the club he joined in 2015.

Asked if he could stay at Tottenham, Alderweireld said: “Yeah, why not? I have two years left on my contract. I don’t know what is going to happen.”

Translation:

The Utd deal is off, and no one else wants me so I guess Im stuck here. I always loved the Carabou Cup
Funny stuff Sammy.

Nice to see you continuing to unswervingly support the players who are at the club. Like the two years left on his contract centre half you are taking the piss out of.

Does Alderweireld have two years left on his contract? I mean, he said it, so it must be true, right? But, I was under the impression he currently has one year left, with the club having an option to extend by a further year, though this extension would trigger a £25m release clause, actionable in the last two weeks of the summer 2019 transfer window.

As of this moment - assuming we haven't already exercised our option to extend - doesn't Aldweireld have just one year left?

Funny stuff Sammy.

Nice to see you continuing to unswervingly support the players who are at the club. Like the two years left on his contract centre half you are taking the piss out of.
To be fair, Sammy is entitled to make a joke out of his comment. If Toby has said that he never wanted to go in the first place, I might be a bit more sympathetic towards Toby. I still believe he wants out but keeping us onside by non committal remarks like that.

Funny stuff Sammy.

Yeah see, I throw my weight behind those committed to our club.

Danny Rose is still here too, so what.

If Toby stays and plays, I´ll support him. That doesnt mean I´ll pretend he wants to be here, which is why he´s always quick to point out the length he has left with us. Two years.....yes Toby, we know that, we offered you more years and more money, and you turned it down.

People preaching about "unswerving support for the players at the club"........yet when it suits, this guy and that guy need replacing asap, sigh

Yeah see, I throw my weight behind those committed to our club.

Danny Rose is still here too, so what.

People preaching about "unswerving support for the players at the club"........yet when it suits, this guy and that guy need replacing asap, sigh

Always cracks me up.

Look at first few pages of Danny Rose thread. Sell him for 5m. Never make it. Etc etc.

It follows a formula.

Players shit= Leave now!!!!!

Players ok = 50% Give him time. 50%. Leave now!!!

Players good/great= Never leave!!! If he goes Levy out!!

Said it before and will say it again. Football supporters are totally illogical.

Always cracks me up.

Look at first few pages of Danny Rose thread. Sell him for 5m. Never make it. Etc etc.

It follows a formula.

Players shit= Leave now!!!!!

Players ok = 50% Give him time. 50%. Leave now!!!

Players good/great= Never leave!!! If he goes Levy out!!

Said it before and will say it again. Football supporters are totally illogical.
If we were logical, we would never stick with a team through thick and thin.

And my point is that his drop in form has been since his knee injury in 2016-17. We thought he would be 100% back to his old self this year, and yet even before the hamstring went he was maybe 80-85% and Sanchez was almost immediately preferred to him in the center of the 3 man defence after just 3 poor defensive matches (we played 4 at the back with Verts/Toby against Newcastle, Chelsea, Burnley and took 4 points). When he returned from his hamstring injury, he was even poorer and Pochettino basically said he wasn't playing because he wasn't better than the players who were in front of him (i.e - Sanchez). When he did play late in the year, he was very poor - backing up Poch's comments.

I think he'll never be the player he was in 2015-17 ever again. He's aging a bit and has lost his pace, he's had 2 bad leg injuries and he has not proven he can recover from them fully. On top of that, our club record signing plays in the same position, and just received a brand new 6 year contract.

So you've now got a 29 year old second choice center half coming off 2 injuries. People are panicking over this way more than they should - at this point he is more of a name than an actual player to be this worked up about.
Excellent post, my thoughts exactly

Does Alderweireld have two years left on his contract? I mean, he said it, so it must be true, right? But, I was under the impression he currently has one year left, with the club having an option to extend by a further year, though this extension would trigger a £25m release clause, actionable in the last two weeks of the summer 2019 transfer window.

As of this moment - assuming we haven't already exercised our option to extend - doesn't Aldweireld have just one year left?

When the contract was written £25m for a 30 year old defender would have seemed reasonable with a year to go!!
He definitely has two years left, the first where we get what we demand the second a fixed maximum £25m.

When the contract was written £25m for a 30 year old defender would have seemed reasonable with a year to go!!
He definitely has two years left, the first where we get what we demand the second a fixed maximum £25m.

This summer/Jan = ???
Next summer = £25m
Summer after = Free

Back
Top Bottom