Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How about 3rd and a CL QF versus 6th and a League Cup, FA Cup, Europa League treble? (The Gerard Houillier Special)

To be fair, I'd take 6th and the cups.

You get the shit treble but you STILL get Champions League qualification from it.

So we shut everyone up about needing trophies and then we shut everyone up about needing CL qualification as we do it via the cup win anyway.

Once again, I’m really hoping you are having a joke, but feel in my soul that you probably aren’t.

Why cant you just answer?

In my opinion, 2nd is better than 3rd, but its not much better. Why is that so weird?
If "we are much better with Toby" surely we would finish much better than 3rd if he had played.

So again, do people think we would have won the PL?

Is it better or much better?
3rd is better than 4th

Weird that Spurs fans think finishing 4th is better if you lose a cup final.
So fucking bizarre some people, the lengths they'll go to belittle Spurs

To be fair, I'd take 6th and the cups.

You get the shit treble but you STILL get Champions League qualification from it.

So we shut everyone up about needing trophies and then we shut everyone up about needing CL qualification as we do it via the cup win anyway.

The thing is, people arent talking about trophies.

They are talking about how losing finals makes a great season.....but not for Spurs. Spurs must win trophies...Liverpool can lose finals and it shows they are better than us.

The thing is, people arent talking about trophies.

They are talking about how losing finals makes a great season.....but not for Spurs. Spurs must win trophies...Liverpool can lose finals and it shows they are better than us.

The Dippers threw all their eggs into that CL final basket and likely missed out finishing 2nd or 3rd considering they were supposed to be the 2nd best team in the league. Then to lost the final like that, not sure if the season could be called a success when they’ve not improved on the previous year.

The Dippers threw all their eggs into that CL final basket and likely missed out finishing 2nd or 3rd considering they were supposed to be the 2nd best team in the league. Then to lost the final like that, not sure if the season could be called a success when they’ve not improved on the previous year.

Also everyone was so desperate to finish 3rd, now people acting like it meant nothing to finish above them.

Some of our fans are fucking poison, makes me sick

spursmalc

It’s easy to press disagree, but not so easy to tell me what’s “much better” than 3rd eh....

I totally disagree with your reasoning. It was totally anti Alderweireld, who is a player at the club and has performed well over several seasons. The fact that he has not signed a new contract is not the issue. We will see at the world cup if he is over his injury problems and if he performs well he may well be sold at a high price. If he truly is injury prone and never going to get back to his best he will not be sold at a high price as other clubs will work that out and he could well end up staying.
It is totally unfair to put it all on one player as to whether we finish higher in the league next season. We are a better team with Toby in it, not only his calm defending but his long cross field balls that set up scoring opportunities.
At present I rate Alderweireld higher than Sanchez who is still young and at times worries me. Sanchez has potential but Alderweireld is one of the best defenders in the league. If he goes then we need a replacement and I doubt whoever we get will be better next season than Alderweireld. Foyth is still very inexperienced and not the replacement. If say come October Vertonghen suffers an injury then without Toby we will be relying on Sanchez and Foyth or possibly Dier to play Premiership matches and CL matches in a very busy schedule.
Now I fully understand and accept the club's decision to make a stand and not offer more money and if the right offer comes along sell him. However I disagree with running the player down and still hope the 2 parties can come to an agreement but if not, expect the club to have a back up plan and buy another defender as they did when Walker left.

Me too, but losing finals is just as good to some

No one remembers the losing finalists. They may have been the highest scorers in the CL last season, but that counts for nothing unless you actually win the competition. We played some sublime stuff yet no one (apart from us) will remember how we performed against some of those sides.

No one remembers the losing finalists. They may have been the highest scorers in the CL last season, but that counts for nothing unless you actually win the competition. We played some sublime stuff yet no one (apart from us) will remember how we performed against some of those sides.

Seemingly some have forgotten us wiping the floor with Madrid, while they salute Liverpool for getting battered by Madrid.

In my opinion, 2nd is better than 3rd, but its not much better. Why is that so weird?
If "we are much better with Toby" surely we would finish much better than 3rd if he had played.

3rd is better than 4th

I honestly didn’t think you really wanted an answer. Ok, so in a 20 team league, I’d say 2nd is much better than 3rd and 3rd is much better than 4th and 4th is massively better than 5th. I’d say 19th was better than 20th and 17th much better than 18th.

Better? Or much better?

For the record, it obviously depends how you intend to grade our season as to what you’d prefer. I’d like us to win the PL, so 3rd is better than 4th and the CL final.

I honestly didn’t think you really wanted an answer. Ok, so in a 20 team league, I’d say 2nd is much better than 3rd and 3rd is much better than 4th and 4th is massively better than 5th. I’d say 19th was better than 20th and 17th much better than 18th.

Better? Or much better?

For the record, it obviously depends how you intend to grade our season as to what you’d prefer. I’d like us to win the PL, so 3rd is better than 4th and the CL final.

You still seem to be mixing up winning th CL final and losing it as the same thing

3rd is better than 4th regardless of what you prefer

3rd is better than 4th

Football's not just about cup finals is it, otherwise we'd only tune in in may. The journey is as important as the destination.

Back
Top Bottom