Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Also John Thomas John Thomas

Poch clearly said we can’t spend crazy money and we need to find other ways to compete with the teams that do.

I think you’ve got it all the wrong way round.

Far from being a hidden message about spending big, it sounds far more to me that the fans need realistic expectations, and our ambitions must match OUR reality.

You know, because that’s what he actually said. It’s not my interpretation of a secret code, its what he said.

But knock yourself out and enjoy another summer of spitting bile all over your laptop.

Last edited:
Because everyman and his dog knows that by take risks Poch means spend more money on keeping our best players here or recruiting quality reinforcements to improve the team. How many more fucking times. And that is exactly what I've been advocating on here for years. Accuse me of what you like, but at least I've remained consistent in my belief. A belief that has clearly been validated first by Danny, and now by Poch himself
The purchase of Dele is/was the very definition of what is meant by "risk".

I think Poch has learned something of the politics of the game. The way he sent the media into a spin over mischievous comments on his future was entertaining.
He knows what he wants and I think Levy has enough trust in him to get us to the next level, therefore he will take those calculated risks on the team.
Either way, I wouldn't like to second guess either of them.

A massively better season? We finished above them with Llorente though.
I like how it’s come down to people lauding Liverpool to slate Spurs...

Transfer windows are when fans show there true colors. All this “back the team” fake support mid season, and then all of a sudden half the team isn’t good enough.

Why even compare Salah and Llorente? Was Salah a back up signing to sit on the bench behind a 35 goal striker?

People want to slate signings but hold Poch up as God. The failings of Llorente were down to the manager not down to the fact Levy paid money for him.

Grow some balls and dare to criticise the manager when necessary.
Lots of our back up could have been a success if they ever saw the pitch and were integrated.
Our squad is better than Liverpool’s.

Poch says we need to take risks.....well maybe he should look in the mirror and change the team up once in a while.
I don’t remeber him risking putting Dele on the bench when his mind was busy elsewhere designing fancy tee shirts, or benching Kane when he was injured.

I don’t remember him shutting out the game v Juve either....maybe we would have also reached the final with a few more risks on his part.
So you don't think they've had a massively better season than us? There's 2 points separating us and they have the possibility of winning the biggest trophy in club football. Poch changes up the team with players he trusts. I've criticized Poch plenty, unlike you who blindly supports anything the guy does. Llorente was our only offensive signing after we failed to cough up the money for other targets. I've never held up Poch as a god, don't know where you got that from. Remember when you thought we could win the league with Lesniak and Onomah? Talk about thinking of Poch as deity, Lesniak is now a half-decent player in Superligaen. You're so deluded

The marquee signing we need to make is Jorghino from Napoli. He's the kind of midfield figure that would make us complete. Man City are sniffing around the poor guy. Levy and Poch should blow the budget and buy the cunt. I think he would like to play for a real club.

But wouldn't you happily take more of their blood money? I had no qualms about the 50m blood money they gave us for walker. They are more than welcome to give us many more millions of their ill gotten gains.
I can see how, on the face of it, being happy to take more of their so-called 'blood money' might seem to be a contradiction, but I don't think it is.

The football transfer market is an ecosystem; all teams are impacted by all other teams' activities in some way. Over the past few years, 'blood money' has been the main driving force behind the huge increases we've seen in transfer fees. You'll recall that, almost overnight, player values skyrocketed following the transfer of Neymar from Barcelona to PSG. The entire market is now so awash with 'blood money' that we're unable to avoid it, whether we deal directly with teams like City or not.

So you don't think they've had a massively better season than us? There's 2 points separating us and they have the possibility of winning the biggest trophy in club football. Poch changes up the team with players he trusts. I've criticized Poch plenty, unlike you who blindly supports anything the guy does. Llorente was our only offensive signing after we failed to cough up the money for other targets. I've never held up Poch as a god, don't know where you got that from. Remember when you thought we could win the league with Lesniak and Onomah? Talk about thinking of Poch as deity, Lesniak is now a half-decent player in Superligaen. You're so deluded

No I don’t think they’ve had a massively better season.

We finished above them despite them vastly outspending us....to many, like yourself, that is an impossibility in itself, yet it’s hapeened. Again.

Personally it makes no sense for you to claim a team that has spent huge sums on fees and wages is doing well to finish 4th.
You are quick to point out we dont spend like Liverpool yet not so quick to give our players credit for finishing above them.

So what if they got to the final of the CL, they’ve done well and credit to them....at the end of the day it’s a cup run, and other than City they’ve had favorable draws all the way.
If they lose, have they still had a massively better season?
You are lauding them before they’ve even played the game that will decide that.

As for Lesniak, so what? You think I’m ashamed to back young Spurs products and give them support and have hope in them?
You slate our own while you are still, weirdly cracking one off over Ross Barkley.

Its easy to understand. A year and a half ago he was more of an unknown quantity. An £8million punt .
Today he's a much more established talent. A £30million young talent improving all the time.
As a supporter, I'd rather we pay 30/50mill on a 30/50million rated player than spunk 8million on a hopeful punt. I think Poch would too
It's the difference between good scouting and hesitant, timid shite. We could have bought Tierney for under ten million last summer. I could see it was a bargain and a sure bet. Now we're about to splash thirty million on him

We finished above them despite them vastly outspending us....to many, like yourself, that is an impossibility in itself, yet it’s hapeened. Again.

Personally it makes no sense for you to claim a team that has spent huge sums on fees and wages is doing well to finish 4th.
You are quick to point out we dont spend like Liverpool yet not so quick to give our players credit for finishing above them.

So what if they got to the final of the CL, they’ve done well and credit to them....at the end of the day it’s a cup run, and other than City they’ve had favorable draws all the way.

As for Lesniak, so what? You think I’m ashamed to back young Spurs products and give them support and have hope in them?
You slate our own while you are still, weirdly cracking one off over Ross Barkley.
They have had the best season in all Europe if they win the
CHAMPS league .

Good to have a solid if 'controversial' poster back!

Anyone been decent enough to admit you were right on Kane?

Is Dries Mertens too old for us?
Too old to still have resale value after a few years: yes
Too old to still have 2-3 years at the highest level: no

A fitness test would tell us a lot about how old he "actually" is imo
+ hes' not injury prone at all so there's no indication his body wouldn't be able to take a couple more years

Daniel Levy right now:

Se3rBOL.png

I can see how, on the face of it, being happy to take more of their so-called 'blood money' might seem to be a contradiction, but I don't think it is.

The football transfer market is an ecosystem; all teams are impacted by all other teams' activities in some way. Over the past few years, 'blood money' has been the main driving force behind the huge increases we've seen in transfer fees. You'll recall that, almost overnight, player values skyrocketed following the transfer of Neymar from Barcelona to PSG. The entire market is now so awash with 'blood money' that we're unable to avoid it, whether we deal directly with teams like City or not.
Yeah I'll go along with that too. Sheds us in a better light. Same with taking nike's millions. Who have been known to use slave labour & child slave labour in the past. Lots of teams use nike & I'am sure other kit makers use slave labour. It pretty much is unavoidable.
In fact most of the clothes I wear (& probably you & most posters on here) is made via slave labour. Again its pretty hard to avoid it.
Best method is to defend it, come up with some excuse, say what their doing is way worse or that's in the past & then sprinkle in some ignorance, & then that way we can all feel better about ourselves.
We all have enough of our own problems to start getting upset over stuff in the distant background (like the above). It is sad but true.

Last edited:
Because everyman and his dog knows that by take risks Poch means spend more money on keeping our best players here or recruiting quality reinforcements to improve the team. How many more fucking times. And that is exactly what I've been advocating on here for years. Accuse me of what you like, but at least I've remained consistent in my belief. A belief that has clearly been validated first by Danny, and now by Poch himself
Actually, only 2 people know what he meant.lets say 10 to allow for board, his inner circle etc. Everyone else and his dog is makong an assumption, or taking an inference based on their own personal bias. Half a dozen people on here and a few jornos aint really a representative sample

Thanks......and no one will admit that Kane should have been benched and Sons fine run of form continued for the sake of the team. Instead, we seem to have killed Son, and its all Trippiers fault.
Wait you think we should of dropped kane who got 6 in his last 7 games for son who has been dogshit for the past 2 months, It's not like son wasn't playing in his natural position on the left, so how did bringing kane in kill son....

The marquee signing we need to make is Jorghino from Napoli. He's the kind of midfield figure that would make us complete. Man City are sniffing around the poor guy. Levy and Poch should blow the budget and buy the cunt. I think he would like to play for a real club.
Got a mate who follows Napoli who's adamant he won't succeed in England. Suited to Italian football etc.
I haven't seen enough to judge for myself but I do trust his judgment on Italian league players for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom