New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Id put nothing past the tossers running the FA. Might damage the prospects of a NFL franchise at N17 but the 10 year contract holds and shows what a money spinner the NFL will or could be for the club

I've read into it a bit now and I'm surprised that this is being considered. What could the FA possibly gain from selling Wembley? They must be absolutely mad.

I've read into it a bit now and I'm surprised that this is being considered. What could the FA possibly gain from selling Wembley? They must be absolutely mad.

££££££££££££££££££££££
from what Ive read there is some support within the FA for a sale giving £500m for grassroots football there would be 3G/4G pitches popping up everywhere. Would all seem a bit short sighted to me.

Nice to see the players getting involved...
New-Spurs-stadium-264-17.jpg

££££££££££££££££££££££
from what Ive read there is some support within the FA for a sale giving £500m for grassroots football there would be 3G/4G pitches popping up everywhere. Would all seem a bit short sighted to me.

But at only £800m they're being offered less than what they paid to build the thing? Make a proper offer of £1.5bn - £2bn and maybe consider it, IMO...

But at only £800m they're being offered less than what they paid to build the thing? Make a proper offer of £1.5bn - £2bn and maybe consider it, IMO...

I'd tend to agree. *IF* he could find the land, get the approvals, pay all the planning/architects/bribes etc.and actually build a similar stadium, then sure as shit it's going to be costing more than £800,000,000.

Look at what it's cost us, and we already owned a huge chunk of the required land, and we're "only" building a 62,000 seater. It would be an absolute non-starter for me at that price.

I'm not saying Wembley will never be sold, but that an NFL franchise will never move to London. A 5 hour (8 hour time difference for the London team going to the left coast) or vice versa on a weekly basis would be a non-starter.
Dunno. Americans are quite used to dealing with a three hour time difference with their sports, is it such a stretch to make that five?

It's all about clever scheduling. A 7pm game in London is 2pm in NYC, or 11am in LA. Not too hard to manage.

And if you're referring to the players themselves, they won't play home-away-home-away each week, there will be probably three in London followed by three state-side, or a similar pattern allowing them to spend maybe a month at a time on each continent.

Over the 95yrs a stadium (or stadium building site) has existed at Wembley; and in the FA's 154-year existence, the gov body has owned Wembley Stadium/building site for only 19 years.

I actually think it would be an excellent if they sold it. From what has been proposed they will bank £500m and still receive £40m from Club Wembley revenues per year. They already have St George's Park built and up and running. There are new stadiums being built around the country to host England games (Old Trafford, Eitihad, Anfield, New WHL, Emirates, London Stadium LOL, Everton's proposed new stadium and Chelsea's new stadium although this must be in doubt now) all of these stadiums are close to or over 60k in capacity. There is £150m of debt which could be all paid off or substantially reduced (The FA generate an annual income of nearly £400m so the debt is still manageable as it is), so either the entire £500m or something like £400m can now be invested into grass roots football, we have the highest fees in the world for coaches, which is why we have the smallest number of them in Europe, money could be spent reinvigorating existing pitches and facilities, the creation of all weather pitches, making safe current pitches that property developers have their eye's on. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to re-invest back into the National Sport rather having the money tied up in a soulless bowl.

Dunno. Americans are quite used to dealing with a three hour time difference with their sports, is it such a stretch to make that five?

It's all about clever scheduling. A 7pm game in London is 2pm in NYC, or 11am in LA. Not too hard to manage.

And if you're referring to the players themselves, they won't play home-away-home-away each week, there will be probably three in London followed by three state-side, or a similar pattern allowing them to spend maybe a month at a time on each continent.
We do a decent job dealing with the 3 hour time difference, I even deal well with the 5 hour difference for football matches, but the 8 hour difference from left coast will be tough to manage on a consistent basis. Also the players unions here have an extraordinary amount of power and the concessions they would demand would be immense.

Think it cost about £600m and they will be keeping Club Wembley under the deal offered.
Takes away the day to Day hassle of owning the stadium I guess.

We have a cast iron 2 game a season 10yr NFL deal. The only issue is whether Levy was hoping to eventually get an NFL franchise in the longer term.

Yep, and it's even possible this Wembley offer, if accepted, would never actually go through. It might all be for show as a negotiating tactic to get Levy to lower his price. At the moment Levy knows he has the only stadium that is totally set up for NFL in terms of facilities. I bet he is asking a lot for that - rightly, in my opinion, because we've built specific facilities for them, changing rooms, an artificial pitch, their own entrance, everything.

But a bit of me is suspicious that the guy wanting to buy Wembley also wants to use it for Fulham. After all he owns an NFL team, the Jaguars, and Fulham who might soon be a prem team in need of a new ground. Doubt Wembley would ever be sold full stop to be honest, but certainly would not be sold to a football club.

Back
Top Bottom