Fa Cup fifth round- rochdale afc v tottenham hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ref Watch: Dermot Gallagher's verdict on decisions in Tottenham's win over Rochdale

While a stutter during a run-up to a penalty is allowed in the Laws of the Game, if a player is deemed to have feinted at the end of his run, the rules state a yellow card must be given and an indirect free-kick awarded to the opposing team.

"I'm not sure that the VAR was used there," added Gallagher. "It was certainly used to arrive at the penalty. It started outside the box, and finished inside, in the old days that would be a free-kick and is rightly a penalty today.

"Paul Tierney probably made that decision himself, and there's no evidence for me it came down to VAR. What I think is that Paul judged Son in his run-up had got too close to the ball, and therefore completed his run-up and that's why he disallowed the goal and gave an indirect free-kick, as per law."

if the stopping in the run up was not allowed then Gallagher would have said here - the fact he says its the end of the run up and the wording of the rule shows that the stop is allowed - ref fucked up.
Now that I do agree with. It’s genuinely baffled me how Son could have been said to have “completed” his run up. He was a couple of yards away from the ball when he stopped for a millisecond.
I’ve maintained from the offset that the ref got it wrong, even with his VAR. I’ve just not been sure what constitutes an illegal feint.
Goalies try to gain every advantage over the penalty taker but never get pulled for it. The penalty is given because the attacking team was offended against. It seems bloody unfair that the penalty taker isn’t then allowed to even the playing field by using a bit of smoke & mirrors. In this case, Sonny is carded for doing something he is perfectly entitled to do & it gave Rochdale a head of steam for a while. They must have thought it was game on when every decision was going their way.
Happily it didn’t affect the outcome, but if this is how the rule is going to be interpreted from now on, it re writes how penalties will be scrutinised.
If it was (hopefully) just another brain fart in a long list of brain farts from last night, then the ref needs to spend a few months in non league.

Now that I do agree with. It’s genuinely baffled me how Son could have been said to have “completed” his run up. He was a couple of yards away from the ball when he stopped for a millisecond.
I’ve maintained from the offset that the ref got it wrong, even with his VAR. I’ve just not been sure what constitutes an illegal feint.
Goalies try to gain every advantage over the penalty taker but never get pulled for it. The penalty is given because the attacking team was offended against. It seems bloody unfair that the penalty taker isn’t then allowed to even the playing field by using a bit of smoke & mirrors. In this case, Sonny is carded for doing something he is perfectly entitled to do & it gave Rochdale a head of steam for a while. They must have thought it was game on when every decision was going their way.
Happily it didn’t affect the outcome, but if this is how the rule is going to be interpreted from now on, it re writes how penalties will be scrutinised.
If it was (hopefully) just another brain fart in a long list of brain farts from last night, then the ref needs to spend a few months in non league.
Gallagher obviously wants VAR 12 decisions and 12 right - Except he says the Lamella one is right and discounts VAR for the Son one - i am sure he went to VAR after blowing his whistle for Son.

This is an example of an illegal penalty kick, the run-up is fine, the feint is in the process of kicking the ball, the action after the run-up.

Gallagher obviously wants VAR 12 decisions and 12 right - Except he says the Lamella one is right and discounts VAR for the Son one - i am sure he went to VAR after blowing his whistle for Son.
No doubt at all in my mind. If that ref could have gone to VAR for a contentious throw in he would have done.

Then never bring up Nani's goal again or any other instance where we've been screwed over by the refs. Shocking

And my point is we were screwed over three times with VAR anyway so Nanis goal may well have stood.

That's my point. It's been WORSE than human error, because it's unfathomable how they can STILL get it wrong.

''What constitutes “unsporting behavior” is not clear, but has generally been interpreted as running right up to the ball, pausing for the keeper to move in one direction, and then kicking it in the other direction. That kind of move was rampant for many years before this rule was clarified as stated above. However, “feinting” in the run-up is fine and dandy, and it happens all the time when there are penalty kicks in football.

Son runs up towards the ball and clearly hesitates in his run-up, however he then takes another full step before shooting the ball. Notably, the keeper does not take the bait — Josh Lillis in fact takes a small step forward before Son takes the kick, but does not look at all imbalanced. He does go the wrong direction, but it’s difficult to make the argument that Son’s stopping his run is what made him guess incorrectly.''

Sums it up nicely.

LOL unsporting behavior by trying to score a penalty fuck me

No not really.
I don't have anyone on ignore what so special about you that I got to start.

Nothing special about me, but it may ease your paranoid delusions(*) for a start.

(*Bearing in mind you consider literally a few comments over a far larger amount of months to be some kind of cyber-stalking!)

You ramble so much as usual bitch would you pls get off my dick this morning

Holy shit! ....Your profile says you are 38!

..Yet you conduct yourself with the maturity and literacy of a 12 year old.

Surreal place at times t'interweb.

"Bitch"?

"On [your] dick"?

.....Oh please - your tough guy talk is utterly laughable! :pocheyes:

For me, VAR is being approached from completely the wrong angle. When I first heard about it coming in, I immediately thought about a few historic moments, that screamed for VAR so 'justice' could be served. Lampard's goal that was a foot over the line, Maradona's famous volleyball point, and so on. It seems after last night's shambles, that its not for any kind of football justice at all - but instead simply to ruin the fan's experience.

That said, the only thing I took from last night at full time, was that Llorente's scored more from open play than Soldado did in two seasons. Might even win us a few points if he keeps it up (against teams that aren't almost 60 places below us in the football league).

Oh, hello everyone. I'm Daniel.

Even if the decisions are right there's no place for it. Can't stop start a game that's designed to flow.

The thing is the decisions are still open to interpretat, so even with VAR there is debate about the interpretation, "excessive force" is open to interpretation of the ref, and every week having had multiple replays and slow-mo's there isn't always agreement.

For the record I love goal-line tech, it's fully automatic, it's confirmed within seconds of the ball crossing the line and it's definitive as it's checking a measurement, did the whole of the ball cross the line? yes by 1mm, no by 1mm. There is no interpretation, I trust it.
Could there be a place for a challenge method as in tennis

I'm not sure about giving either side as many as 3 each ... maybe just 2 each, 1 per half or summin

This way fans can relax and enjoy the football with emotions fully engaged knowing that the game won't repeatedly go to into question

But if team is certain that on obvious injustice has been carried out that has effected them severely i.e. a goal scored/not scored or player sent off/allowed to remain ...... that this can be rectified

If the team itself cannot spot an incident that later proves to have gone against them then it can be considered within the tolerance of human error and we can all agree that tolerance is acceptable

If a grievance happens once the challenges have been used..., tough .... the flow of the game and the nature of football has to be considered and protected

Just throwing it out there

Last edited:
I said it earlier. Take the poxy 'up for misinterpretation' rule away

Let the kicker do the robot if he wants... it's his teams penalty kick

This is an example of an illegal penalty kick, the run-up is fine, the feint is in the process of kicking the ball, the action after the run-up.

Now that is feint, Neymar run and stopped by the pen spot, tricked the keeper to go one side and then slid the ball on the other side.
Son slowed or may be stopped his run 2 yards away from the spot and took another step or even 2 and hit the ball. This is not a feint.
If a ref does similar in another match could easily affect the outcome.

Could there be a place for a challenge method as in tennis

I'm not sure about giving either side as many as 3 each ... maybe just 2 each

This way fans can relax and enjoy the football with emotions fully engaged knowing that the game won't repeatedly go to into question

But if team is certain that on obvious injustice has been carried out that has effected them severely i.e. a goal scored/not scored or player sent off/allowed to remain ...... that this can be rectified

If the team itself cannot spot an incident that later proves to have gone against them then it can be considered within the tolerance of human error and we can all agree that tolerance is acceptable

If a grievance happens once the challenges have been used..., tough .... the flow of the game and the nature of football has to be considered and protected

Just throwing it out there
Imagine a review in the hands of Tony Pullis or Mourinho. Also when do you review, when the ball goes out of play, when the other team have won the ball back are are now on a counter-attack 4vs2? If you change how the game is officiated then you change how it's played, even worse is you now have two codes of the game, the pro game and the game without VAR. The beauty of the game is even in the park the laws of the game can be applied to a kick about with your mates, but more importantly our kids will not be playing the same game.

Back
Top Bottom