January 2018 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just about his only goals this season, yeah? Says more about the competition there than the player, totally fortunate goals. There's no guile, no technique, no ball movement there. Just head down and kick the faaaaking shit out of the ball.

Sorry, it's just not gonna happen. Admire the persistence, though. :adethumbup:
Every played football yourself, Memphis?

Every played football yourself, Memphis?
Yes, certainly enough to know the difference between a player striking a ball with thoughtful intent and some punter just running at it to give it a good whacking. The fact that he has 3 league goals this season and those are 2 of them just goes to show it's not really part of his game. How many of those have ended up in row zz?

He's an alright player in Scotland, but not up to Spurs - and trying to justify it with those goals when it's clearly not even something that features in his game is a stretch. Should we sign everyone who puts their foot through a ball and flukes a brace to account for 2/3rds of their half-season tally? Don't think we have the squad space.

Yes, certainly enough to know the difference between a player striking a ball with thoughtful intent and some punter just running at it to give it a good whacking. The fact that he has 3 league goals this season and those are 2 of them just goes to show it's not really part of his game. How many of those have ended up in row zz?

He's an alright player in Scotland, but not up to Spurs - and trying to justify it with those goals when it's clearly not even something that features in his game is a stretch. Should we sign everyone who puts their foot through a ball and flukes a brace to account for 2/3rds of their half-season tally? Don't think we have the squad space.
Just as I thought: moneyball appreciation of the game. He’s a box to box midfielder capable of creative and engine room contributions. Those were two goals against Celtic at Parkhead. Why should I not post them to support an argument in favour of his suitability for us? When did we become too big time to consider Hibs’ talisman? Do you know any of these proper nouns i’m using? Sorry for being obscure.

I judge a player based on what I see. I know a quality player when I see one. There are a few in the Scottish game but prejudice and stereotyping stops some clubs for exploiting bargains.

Just as I thought: moneyball appreciation of the game. He’s a box to box midfielder capable of creative and engine room contributions. Those were two goals against Celtic at Parkhead. Why should I not post them to support an argument in favour of his suitability for us? When did we become too big time to consider Hibs’ talisman? Do you know any of these proper nouns i’m using? Sorry for being obscure.

I judge a player based on what I see. I know a quality player when I see one. There are a few in the Scottish game but prejudice and stereotyping stops some clubs for exploiting bargains.
I don't think he's up to it, you clearly do - hence my previous statement of respect for your persistence in the matter.

My point, in this particular instance, being that your highlighting these two goals as his fitness for Spurs makes no sense. The two goals were not particularly skillful, and make up 2/3rds of his half season tally in Scotland. He isn't a goal scoring threat out of the midfield in Scotland, and certainly wouldn't be in the PL.

If you want to argue/propose his other potential benefits, that's fair enough. But a chancer belting the shite out of a ball and ending up with 2 goals in a match, while basically being unable to replicate it before or since, doesn't make a goal scoring threat. Dier is a bigger threat to the opposing goal in the PL than McGinn would ever be.

We just need a central midfielder who can control a game physically. So basically, we need to hope Wanyama gets back to full fitness as soon as possible and have Dier as his understudy. Until then, Dier needs to start in central midfield.

But yes, we need to replace Dembele. We can't keep relying on him when he's clearly lost the ability to boss games and control it against the very best.

Goretzka would be a terrific signing, but he has a lot of admirers.

I think Barkley will happen. United want rid of Shaw and Mhikitariyan (I gave it my best shot) and I’d take them both.

Wingers is something we lack. Palace will want silly amounts for Zaha.

Gonna get shit, but I still like Mahrez.

Back
Top Bottom