Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason we can play 3 at the back so well is because the wide centre backs can play at fullback and are very good technically, would be happy with Veltman.

Is in same position as Toby ie no-one thought he would progress so far

Zaha and Barkley are very much the same in my eyes, two overpriced players who wouldn't make our 1st XIII.

We'd be far better off spending our £30m on keeping Walker and Toby and others we see as key to the longer term picture happy, or else going large on an "Isco type" marque signing that pushes one of our first teamers, I don't care which one.

We spent (or pledged) £30m on a squad player last season, regardless of the yearly payments thing or money due on Townsend stuff he was by anyone's standard a panic buy and a waste of money. See also the N'Js. We really, really need to step up our recruitment policy. I'd say it was comfortably our weakest area and has been for some time, and it's not something you can lay at Levy's door either.

I have to be honest I'm not liking what we're linked with so far. Veltman and Klaasen are mid-table Premier League players at best. Veltman not even in my opinion.

Barkley and more Zaha could be interesting, but what command fees much above what they're worth.

I don't get the negativity towards Barkley...he can play in a number of roles and under Poch's guidance I think he has the potential to become world class.
Some of us don't share your optimism about the "world class" part.

As he is English, the English player premium attaches to him, & personally I don't think he's worth the fee we would have to pay to get him.

I'm not negative about signing him, I just don't think he is a significant upgrade (or an upgrade at all) on what we have, for the fee he is likely to command. If Poch wants him though, he should be allowed to sign him.

I don't get the negativity towards Barkley...he can play in a number of roles and under Poch's guidance I think he has the potential to become world class.
For me I think our priorities are in other positions, and he's not quite on our level. I expect him to be a very expensive downgrade to dembele when I'd rather us develop Winks.

World class might be pushing it but he would be excellent signing for 20 mill, could compete for CM and no 10 positions, and would be option as a wide attacker, especially as Sissoko, GKN and Lamela are all likely to leave. He's very two footed, which Poch loves. CM might be an important position that needs cover. Dembele's had his problems and I'm not convinced Winks will be ready for the start of the season. Got a feeling it's a "wait and see for three months" job that then turns into "needs an operation".

Just seen that Everton allegedly want 50 mil for Barkley so he won't be coming to Spurs then. If he is valued at that (and almost out of contract - have I got that right?) then goodness knows what most of our 1st team would be valued at. Football world gone mad.

I have a feeling everton are calling his bluff & he will sign a new deal.
They know that no one will pay anywhere near the asking price for barkley.
Also, very limited amount of teams better than everton who would buy him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom