Tottenham Hotspur v. Wycombe Wanderers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why do we continue to disrespect the best Cup competition in the world.?
There are kids who came for their first game today, paying good money.
Poch, proving that he has learned nothing from the Villa game, makes ten changes. We were almost bested by the equivalent of a Fourth Division side today.
It is simply not acceptable for fans of Tottenham Hotspur F.C. to have to suffer that.
This is a competition where we have a glorious heritage. We are better than that.

And what a game they witnessed.

Reading this thread post match and there are a lot of absolute gimps in this forum. Most gimpy are those declaring defeat the two goals down and a special shout out to everyone slagging off Wycombe as Chavs or Semi - Pro nobodies. In fact we came across a side of hard working pros who put in a heroic effort.

Many teams win trophies after scraping through against teams they should beat with ease.

Just worked out why today was such a struggle... My lucky pants (P:5 W:5 D:0 L:0) were in the wash!
Me too, sort of. Not lucky pants, but I ignored nearly all my usual superstitions today, apart from wearing my lucky wristband, didn't think we needed them.
You can analyse this game to death, but when it comes down to it, we won and are in the draw for the next round - job done! All credit to WW for making a game of it though, at least it wasn't boring.

Why do we continue to disrespect the best Cup competition in the world.?
There are kids who came for their first game today, paying good money.
Poch, proving that he has learned nothing from the Villa game, makes ten changes. We were almost bested by the equivalent of a Fourth Division side today.
It is simply not acceptable for fans of Tottenham Hotspur F.C. to have to suffer that.
This is a competition where we have a glorious heritage. We are better than that.

Our team of 10 put four past their opponents to progress into the next round of the FA cup, and you can't accept it.

HxXFQAf.gif

What the hell just happened??? We got away with one today. I hope Poch has learnt from this near miss..

A great comeback and all that but what a risk to take..
I have no problem paying to watch weakened team as it's expected these days, but 10 of that 11 would not start in our best team, they haven't played as a team before where as Wycombe are used to playing together week in week out. Ypu need 3 or 4 first team regulars and not a team of fringe players.

I would also like to be able to say Wycombe were great and unlucky/fair play etc, but they weren't they were nothing but dirty rugby tackling cloggers. Some of the fouls they were allowed to get away with was criminal, the old lets rough em up bullshit. The ref was also caught up in the romance of the giant killing, some of his calls were baffling to say the least.

Lets take it serious from now on and go all out to win the bleeding thing..

200.gif

We got lucky but normally we are an unlucky and don't have the Woolwich jammyness which we did today.

Thing is if we don't use our fringe players for these games then we don't give them much game time in the season which May make them unhappy, it also gives Poch an opportunity to test if they are fit to wear the shirt while preventing burnout for some of our first teamers. It's a hard balancing act for Poch.

I would say that it's going to
become increasingly hard to keep Winks out of the first 11, again our best player (well him and Son) while Janssen did really well coming on. Sissoko, Onomah, Nkoudou, CCV, Dier and Davies didn't play well at all.

For this season long as we avoid significant injuries our squad should be ok but I wouldn't be surprised to see another CB, AM and winger in the summer if several players don't step up.

WW played with great heart but also put a clever game plan together and can feel proud. As for the ref I agree in a Prem game they would have had one or two sent off for persistent shirt pulling, they wanted to get our players kits off quicker than a hen party.

Well, that is what you call a cup tie I guess.

Well played Wycombe, refreshing to see a team prepared to play football rather than stick 10 men behind the ball. Thought they deserved the draw.

As we won I'm going to have a winge at the ref. That was the worst performance by any ref as I have seen in years, he missed well over 20 fouls. I'm not moaning at Wycombe here, I've no problem with players roughing up other players but today at times it was fucking Rugby match. I haven't seen replays of the pen yet but every fibre of my being tells me it was a good tackle.

Actually thought we weren't too bad going forward, there was lots of movement and one touch play around the box. I like Son's directness, but fucking hell he has to pass the ball sometimes (may be this is deliberate in strict ion from Poch as Kane is guilty of the same). Sissoko is an odd one, never looks as though he has got the ball fully under his control and he can look wooden, that said he was involved a fair bit, and 2nd half was causing a lot of damage down the right. But we lacked any real end product.

Winks was by far our best player. Dembele was beautiful.

Our defence was absolutely shite, with Davies and Trippier in particular fucking woeful. Dier was our worst player, his worst performance in a Spurs shirt, shocking. CCV and Wimmer were ok with the ball at their feet but think they won only one header each all game.

Chelsea have got themselves a fucking good keeper there.

Wycombe players and fans deservedly applauded off the pitch.
Thought Trippier played really well, created all our chances before Alli and Dembele came on

Reading this thread post match and there are a lot of absolute gimps in this forum. Most gimpy are those declaring defeat the two goals down and a special shout out to everyone slagging off Wycombe as Chavs or Semi - Pro nobodies. In fact we came across a side of hard working pros who put in a heroic effort.

Many teams win trophies after scraping through against teams they should beat with ease.

People losing their shit at 2-0 down at home, to a league two side? Who'd have thought.

Load of bollocks mate. There was no "scraping".

We played an under strength side, most of whom needed game time. No more, no less. No heroics. Just players who hand to adjust during the game, and once they did, were able to play better. Wycombe took advantage of that and then failed when we found our form.

Last edited:
We got lucky but normally we are an unlucky and don't have the Woolwich jammyness which we did today.

Thing is if we don't use our fringe players for these games then we don't give them much game time in the season which May make them unhappy, it also gives Poch an opportunity to test if they are fit to wear the shirt while preventing burnout for some of our first teamers. It's a hard balancing act for Poch.

I would say that it's going to
become increasingly hard to keep Winks out of the first 11, again our best player (well him and Son) while Janssen did really well coming on. Sissoko, Onomah, Nkoudou, CCV, Dier and Davies didn't play well at all.

For this season long as we avoid significant injuries our squad should be ok but I wouldn't be surprised to see another CB, AM and winger in the summer if several players don't step up.

WW played with great heart but also put a clever game plan together and can feel proud. As for the ref I agree in a Prem game they would have had one or two sent off for persistent shirt pulling, they wanted to get our players kits off quicker than a hen party.

Oh i'm all for using our fringe players but mixed with a few first teamers.

This was always going to be a tough afternoon with the team we put out, not because they are individually not good enough but because they never play together as a team.

We definitely got out of jail by showing some sheer determination which was great to see.

Was really hoping to see Nkoudou shine today but again he has a lot of good things in his game but when he gets to the box he seems to always rush everything. I can't work out if it will click with him or if he will be another Nije.

Wimmer and CCV got to see what a muscular attack looks like and will need to learn from it. Onomah looks lost, he has ability but it's almost as if he doesn't know what his role is. Sissoko looked like a combination of Usain Bolt and a pub player. Dier and Davies had games to forget.

Credit to Son, really effective and Winks again showing why if we lose Dembele to injury we actually have good cover, he will be some player.

Thought Trippier played really well, created all our chances before Alli and Dembele came on
He can't defend for shit. Looses everyone of his battles, he is a calamity defender. When he attacks he trotts back meaning a CB has to come over wide, this was made worse today as Dier who should drop in the middle was shit. Our defence was woeful today Davies & Tripier were the weak links. Wimmer & CCV were shit in the air (as too were Davies & Trippier) but at least they looked composed with the ball at their feet.

Tripper might have a good cross on him, but you have to think what actual is a good cross. For me it's one that finds one of our own players, I'm probably wrong on this but I can't recal any of his crosses finding a Tottenham player.

The drop off in how we play when Rose and Walker are not playing is massive, we are literally a different team.

Was really hoping to see Nkoudou shine today but again he has a lot of good things in his game but when he gets to the box he seems to always rush everything. I can't work out if it will click with him or if he will be another Nije.

Wimmer and CCV got to see what a muscular attack looks like and will need to learn from it. Onomah looks lost, he has ability but it's almost as if he doesn't know what his role is. Sissoko looked like a combination of Usain Bolt and a pub player. Dier and Davies had games to forget.

Credit to Son, really effective and Winks again showing why if we lose Dembele to injury we actually have good cover, he will be some player.
I thought Sissoko was OK, second half he was a constant threat down the right. He isn't easy on the eye. He has a wooden appearance, nothing flows and when he has the ball at his feet stationary, you can almost hear his brain working out what to do with it. But when he is running all I think is I'm glad I'm not up against him.

As with Onomah, I don't think he was poor, he wasn't good either. You might be right about his role and function but have to credit Wycombe has they didn't give him a lot of time and space.

Like who?
Josh onamah and CCV for a start. I know they are young but if you are putting on the white jersey for a senior game then age should be irrelevant. Both of these need loan spells in the championship for a season to give them competive game time.

Neither of these players are nowhere good enough to be starting for spurs at the moment. I can not see how 2 or 3 cup games a season and ten minutes here and there are progressing Josh's career? Is he comfortable with this? Or is it easy as he's already on good money?

Loan moves worked wonders for Kane and walker at this stage of their respective careers.

I have always rated Wimmer and when he stood in last season he was outstanding, however today he was utter garbage, he was constantly out of position and poor in the challenge. Ben Davies, for a seasoned international player was non existent in the first half and should have been one of the players out there leading. Dier was no better.

Sissoko for all his showing had no end product and very little idea what to do in the final third. Aside from our players coming on in the second half only Son, Winks and Trippier were showing in the first half. For players desperate for a first team spot and playing at home to a league 2 club the performances were piss poor.

I don't know how this is addressed, poch might, but unless we play our first eleven we won't be winning any cups this season.

What a disrespect to the glorious FA cup. The oldest domestic club competition. Why are clubs devaluing the Emirates FA cup?
Is it why are non_English managers devaluing the cup? Am thinking of Klopp here but at least Poch reacted with changes.

Back
Top Bottom