January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's hilarious how desperate the press are to put us back in our place.

Things have changed, cunts! We're here to stay.

It's also hilarious how the 'top 4' parlance of the last twenty years has subtly changed this year to 'top 6' - basically because Man Utd occupy that place. Although along with this top 6 stuff i've heard quite a few people saying that the rest of the league can't compete financially with the top 6.

Newsflash arse-holes! We don't have the finances to compete with the top 6, yet we have for a decade! Leicester won the fucking league last year.

'Journalists' are so fucking lazy these days. It's like listening to your granddad reminiscing about his youth. Times, they are a-changing.

As long as we have CL and league to play for, there isn't really any sporting reason to leave our club- in such a position we are seriously competing in all major competitions, are we not?
I don't think Dele could be had for less than 80 million pounds, but I also don't think he's ready to succeed in a foreign league now either. Does he speak Spanish at all, even a little bit? He doesn't exactly strike me as the nerdy-bookish type, as with Bale.

I would be a little disappointed in Defoe if he went to West Ham after what their supporters sang about him and his brother. I know London is pulling him in like a fish to water though..

I've been thinking it might be our player's agents 'leaking' these transfer stories rather than press making it up. As the way it works at Spurs these days is you play well and you get an improved deal; Walker, Rose and Alli have all been playing very well so are probably pushing for a new deal.

I know the old adage about players JUST WANTING TO PLAY... but seriously, would Defoe want to play every minute of Sunderland's remining games and get relegated... or maybe play SOME games and help push for (maybe not the tile) but CL places at least... and EL/FA Cup run with us?

Poch has shown he considers it a SQUAD game, and that everyone at the club is important... so why wouldn't Defoe want a piece of that, rather than the toxic atmosphere of West Ham??
Fuck me, if he finishes his career with us, he might even get to play at the new WHL in his swansong season!!
....or am I jumping the gun somewhat?

On signing his deal in the autumn, Rose said:

“Everyone knows the club is going in the right direction and I am over the moon and I will stay here until I am an old man.”

giphy.gif

I'd take Defoe as an option on the bench. Showed in the last couple of seasons that he's still a goal scorer and I'd have way more confidence in him coming off the bench and scoring than Janssen.

I know the old adage about players JUST WANTING TO PLAY... but seriously, would Defoe want to play every minute of Sunderland's remining games and get relegated... or maybe play SOME games and help push for (maybe not the tile) but CL places at least... and EL/FA Cup run with us?

Poch has shown he considers it a SQUAD game, and that everyone at the club is important... so why wouldn't Defoe want a piece of that, rather than the toxic atmosphere of West Ham??
Fuck me, if he finishes his career with us, he might even get to play at the new WHL in his swansong season!!
....or am I jumping the gun somewhat?

I don't even think it's an option at this stage.

He was literally begging for the move before he went to Sunderland, and the boat has now gone.

We wouldn't pay £10m+ for him, and Sunderland wouldn't accept anything less than £20m I'm sure (and rightly so, as for the cost of relegation)

Fuck the media/press .
There constant comical wall of lies speculation has become so irrelevant .
Tiresome , lazy , childish , repetitive nonsense. To fill the pages of these perverted diatribes tells us that their days
are over .

(Down in Brighton, getting my teeth done tomorrow. New vinyl bought so far Bends/Radiohead , Low/Bowie, god bless Brixton Dave, Bo Diddley, Miles Davis /Porgy and Bess. )

Last edited:
I'd take Defoe as an option on the bench. Showed in the last couple of seasons that he's still a goal scorer and I'd have way more confidence in him coming off the bench and scoring than Janssen.

Defoe would be a brilliant signing but why would Sunderland sell him? He is literally their only hope of staying up. I would say that is worth much more than the 6-10m we would pay for him

I don't even think it's an option at this stage.

He was literally begging for the move before he went to Sunderland, and the boat has now gone.

We wouldn't pay £10m+ for him, and Sunderland wouldn't accept anything less than £20m I'm sure (and rightly so, as for the cost of relegation)
Was he? I don't remember that at all. Matter of fact he was very hesitant to go to Toronto FC he mulled over the decision for awhile. I could be wrong but I thought he was happy as a squad player before he left (well maybe not happy but content)

I remember saying at the time I thought it was terrible business to sell a useful player at that price. I believe we only got like 6m for him?

Back
Top Bottom