January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes that's obviously something that has to be weighed up in every transfer.

Who do u suggest?
Same guys I'd suggested earlier in this thread. I think we need attacking midfielders with a talent for providing creative passes into the box. So, Vincenzo Grifo, Yunus Malli or maybe Bruno Fernandes for me. They're all young, have room to improve and play for clubs who both pay less than we do and depend on selling playing as part of their business model.

Same guys I'd suggested earlier in this thread. I think we need attacking midfielders with a talent for providing creative passes into the box. So, Vincenzo Grifo, Yunus Malli or maybe Bruno Fernandes for me. They're all young, have room to improve and play for clubs who both pay less than we do and depend on selling playing as part of their business model.
I really like what I've seen of Grifo. He's the kind of player we go for in my view.

Other than the price tags I don't see how these are better options than Barkley.

They may be cheaper but non have Prem experience which means there's a settling period assuming they prove to be suited at all.

If we make a signing this window it needs to be someone that could improve our starting 11 from the word go.

Hearing good things........................

We have been after Bruma since 2010!! (Chelsea also heavily linked with him since about 2011, scum and manure with links but only recently). Grew up at the Sporting academy with Dier, they debut same year for Sporting B (2012). He was dubbed the new Ronaldo when he was 17. Currently 22 and a Galatasaray player he has refused to sign a new contract and apparently wants to join Spurs, he has been (or agent) been busy liking posts linking him with Spurs move.

Other than the price tags I don't see how these are better options than Barkley.

They may be cheaper but non have Prem experience which means there's a settling period assuming they prove to be suited at all.

If we make a signing this window it needs to be someone that could improve our starting 11 from the word go.
I don't think anyone like that really exists. Very few players could drop into our team and learn our system better than the current squad.

We have no passengers. Everyone has to press, and learning that takes time. So, if anyone we sign isn't going to really be ready right now, I want to sign guys who will be long-term solutions. And all of the players I mentioned can be that. For that matter, they're all also better than Ross Barkley right now.

We have been after Bruma since 2010!! (Chelsea also heavily linked with him since about 2011, scum and manure with links but only recently). Grew up at the Sporting academy with Dier, they debut same year for Sporting B (2012). He was dubbed the new Ronaldo when he was 17. Currently 22 and a Galatasaray player he has refused to sign a new contract and apparently wants to join Spurs, he has been (or agent) been busy liking posts linking him with Spurs move.

Saw this too. I don't have instagram so can't verify this (maybe someone else on here could), but according to a poster on SpursCommunity he's been liking a few Spurs-related images on there in the last 24hrs:

C1SXY7gWgAA-j43.jpg

It's a bit high-school-drama-y, but a player liking photoshopped images of himself in a Spurs kit is probably a promising sign of a transfer.

Feel like those using Barkleys stats for this season are being a bit harsh and statistically bias. New manager, being moved into different positions, new way of playing and system, manager has openly criticised him in the media, constantly being used as a scapegoat for Evertons troubles and a weaker squad than ours.

I think a lot of us under-value the stability we have at our club and how coy Poch is at press conferences. Rarely does he call people out unless deserved and the game-plan and ethos is generally the same, even when we use different systems.

Barkley has had 3 managers in 4-5 years, from a traditionalist to a modernist to a "pressist", each one asking different things of him from the age of 17. It can't be easy to hit your stride when you're being asked to change constantly.

Rather than use stats from an uncertain period of his career, the current season, I think it's wise to use the last time he had stability, which was 3 years under Martinez and then compare that to Lamela, Eriksen and Alli, our first choice 3 last year.

2015-16 Barkley
48 games/3914 Minutes
12 goals (Goal every 326 mins)
11 assists (Assist every 355 mins)

2015-16 Lamela
44 games/3072 Minutes
11 goals (292 mins)
10 assists (307 mins)

2015-16 Eriksen
47 games/ 3906 Minutes
8 goals (488 mins)
16 assists (244 mins)

2015-16 Dele
46/3224 Minutes
10 goals (322 mins)
11 assists (293)

326 mins vs 292, 488 and 322
355 mins vs 307, 244 and 293

Although Barkley isn't better than any of those 3 he can at least compete with them and isn't a million miles off. I think we're all agreed that we've got one of the best talent development teams in the world and so I think Barkley could improve on these numbers even more.

Will he ever be world class? Probably not. But as a squad member I think he'd add a lot to the team. A lot more than GKN and Njiee probably will. Our first 11's is one of the best in the league and impossible for us to replace due to finances, from this point on wards if we want to develop as a club we'll need to buy better squad players.

Barkley is a better attacking asset than our other squad members (Sissoko, GKN, Njiee) and isn't too far off first choice levels.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's been mentioned already, but if Everton offered it, and you were in control, would you swap Sissoko for Barkley?

I don't know if it's been mentioned already, but if Everton offered it, and you were in control, would you swap Sissoko for Barkley?

Question is could Pochettino coach Barkley into another beast of a midfielder? Barkley is younger and English, from a marketing and sell on point of view, yes would swap. Think he might also have a higher ceiling for natural ability over Moussa.

Saw this too. I don't have instagram so can't verify this (maybe someone else on here could), but according to a poster on SpursCommunity he's been liking a few Spurs-related images on there in the last 24hrs:

C1SXY7gWgAA-j43.jpg

It's a bit high-school-drama-y, but a player liking photoshopped images of himself in a Spurs kit is probably a promising sign of a transfer.
I've been told by someone I know at the club. He is not ITK, he has been there for years and in all this time has only ever stuck his head above the fence once with ITK on transfers..........and he was wrong on that occasion (he was told we had signed Reid from WHU). But I trust him he doesn't make up shit, it boils down to what info he is told or if things change. He still maintains the Reid deal was legit.

We will just have to see what happens, I'm a believer of if it's in the public realm then it won't happen, probably 90% of our signings have been very quite. What's different here is our links to this player go back years, but the fact they are public may just be bullshit,

Last edited:
Feel like those using Barkleys stats for this season are being a bit harsh and statistically bias. New manager, being moved into different positions, new way of playing and system, manager has openly criticised him in the media, constantly being used as a scapegoat for Evertons troubles and a weaker squad than ours.

I think a lot of us under-value the stability we have at our club and how coy Poch is at press conferences. Rarely does he call people out unless deserved and the game-plan and ethos is generally the same, even when we use different systems.

Barkley has had 3 managers in 4-5 years, from a traditionalist to a modernist to a "pressist", each one asking different things of him from the age of 17. It can't be easy to hit your stride when you're being asked to change constantly.

Rather than use stats from an uncertain period of his career, the current season, I think it's wise to use the last time he had stability, which was 3 years under Martinez and then compare that to Lamela, Eriksen and Alli, our first choice 3 last year.

2015-16 Barkley
48 games/3914 Minutes
12 goals (Goal every 326 mins)
11 assists (Assist every 355 mins)

2015-16 Lamela
44 games/3072 Minutes
11 goals (292 mins)
10 assists (307 mins)

2015-16 Eriksen
47 games/ 3906 Minutes
8 goals (488 mins)
16 assists (244 mins)

2015-16 Dele
46/3224 Minutes
10 goals (322 mins)
11 assists (293)

326 mins vs 292, 488 and 322
355 mins vs 307, 244 and 293

Although Barkley isn't better than any of those 3 he can at least compete with them and isn't a million miles off. I think we're all agreed that we've got one of the best talent development teams in the world and so I think Barkley could improve on these numbers even more.

Will he ever be world class? Probably not. But as a squad member I think he'd add a lot to the team. A lot more than GKN and Njiee probably will. Our first 11's is one of the best in the league and impossible for us to replace due to finances, from this point on wards if we want to develop as a club we'll need to buy better squad players.

Barkley is a better attacking asset than our other squad members (Sissoko, GKN, Njiee) and isn't too far off first choice levels.
I think he's worse than you think, and also feel the price tag is prohibitive. He's not going to be some £14m depth option, he'll be another £30m+ albatross.

No it's not, it's a sign of a player who's so desperate to move to the EPL(c) "the best league in The World"TM
he'll 'LIKE' fucking anything that helps get him there!

No it's not, it's a sign of a player who's so desperate to move to the EPL(c) "the best league in The World"TM
he'll 'LIKE' fucking anything that helps get him there!
Hmmm... Staying in Turkey, or adding an extra zero to his paycheque before the decimal point? Easy choice.

Can verify that he would be a good signing, he was a monster for me in FIFA 2015.

Not meaning to sound arrogant or cocky (I don't do either) but this is the second Transfer Window in which I've felt confident that NONE of our key players will be poached from under our noses a là Berbatov, Modric, Bale etc..

I'm only concerned with who's coming IN...
if tge likes of Carroll or Onomah go out on loan, so be it. I won't be at all surprised. ..

but I'm not shitting myself that our core spine will be ripped out of the team...
These boys are here for the long haul!

Nabil Bentaleb Nabil Bentaleb should be able to clarify more but I've heard that he has a bit of an attitude problem, choosing to move to Turkey instead of staying at Sporting and developing his skills more. He was he star for Portugal in the U17 World Cup a few years ago but his development had seemed to stall somewhat since moving to Turkey

Back
Top Bottom