Man Utd (A) - 11 DEC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree there should have been better investment. But last year was deceptive, I mean Leicester won it, mainly because all the other top sides were rebuilding. That really was our chance, now it is business as usual with Spurs struggling to get fourth.

"Deceptive"... Not sure how, but regardless, regrettably deceptive to some, yes... Didn't require a genius to see the landscape for what it was though. MANY of the fans did whilst others buried their head in the sand insisting our young team (and manager) will enjoy a fast, linear collective improvement as players year after year... NO added complications.

No form dips, no sluggish start cos of the Euros and the exertion of last season, no mental scars from our meltdown, new signings won't need to bed in (certainly not that desperately needed 2nd striker... HK injury = Oooops!), no need to improve the first XI cos they will naturally improve together, our bench is good enough to handle EPL, while last years stars stroll into the last 16 of the CL, the TV money boom won't matter as we'll be able to cherry pick all summer cos we're a CL-team now... (<insert own 'favourite' chestnut here>)... Or so many insisted whilst mocking those that suggested otherwise.

All of which must have been music to Levy's ears.

Complacency... Sadly, that's what allowed said "deception" to happen....

Another chance to consolidate a 'spike' in our on-pitch evolution wasted.... (See 11/12 Saha/Nelson horror show.)

I'm sure this thread is in its final death throes, but I thought I'd add my thoughts.

I only managed to catch the last 20 mins, plus the highlights on MOTD. It wasn't our best performance, but I don't think there's any need to melt - as many on here seem to be doing. I've even seen a few calling for Poch's head - which is ridiculous.

I know stats don't always mean much, but it looks as though we dominated that game (certainly in terms of possession). We obviously lack a cutting edge at the moment, and we need to play much quicker (even if that results in less possession), but at least we have the basics in place - something to build on.

To put it all into a bit more perspective: we've played AWAY at three of the top six (and at home against the other three). We've had the toughest fixtures compared to those around us - by far. With any luck, we'll pick up 6 points in our next two games, which will put us right back in the mix for top 4. The way things are going at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if Lolerpool and Citeh are the ones that we'll be battling with for top 4 this year. Hopefully the former as I take a special, perverse pleasure in seeing them fail.

Onwards and upwards lads.

I'm sure this thread is in its final death throes, but I thought I'd add my thoughts.

I only managed to catch the last 20 mins, plus the highlights on MOTD. It wasn't our best performance, but I don't think there's any need to melt - as many on here seem to be doing. I've even seen a few calling for Poch's head - which is ridiculous.

I know stats don't always mean much, but it looks as though we dominated that game (certainly in terms of possession). We obviously lack a cutting edge at the moment, and we need to play much quicker (even if that results in less possession), but at least we have the basics in place - something to build on.

To put it all into a bit more perspective: we've played AWAY at three of the top six (and at home against the other three). We've had the toughest fixtures compared to those around us - by far. With any luck, we'll pick up 6 points in our next two games, which will put us right back in the mix for top 4. The way things are going at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if Lolerpool and Citeh are the ones that we'll be battling with for top 4 this year. Hopefully the former as I take a special, perverse pleasure in seeing them fail.

Onwards and upwards lads.

Bravo Sir..

What people seem to be forgetting is, we are ahead of where we were this time last season..
We went on to achieve our highest place in the premier league..
Let's hope we continue to better our points tally only with a better finish this season.

Biggest issue is we lack what every other team around us has, a real match winner. Don't get me wrong Kane can win us matches with his goals but he doesn't have enough influence, and that's fine as he's a striker. But look at City, Woolwich, Chelsea Liverpool and even United, they all have one in their team, de bruyne, Sanchez, hazard, coutinho and mkhitaryan. We don't have thay type of player who can drag us to a win

We do

Dier and Coco

Huge miss for us

Still pissed off. I'd even go as far and say, that this was worse than the 5-1 thrashing.

Same mistake leading to the goal. Same scoreline. Same dire perfomance as last season at OT.

Great to see us dismantling a side like Swansea, just to completely do nothing a week later. FFS why cant we just win a game like this for once... We are fit enough, why do we try to break down United with long balls? It's doing my head in.

I thought last season we were better and genuinely unlucky

That was piss poor yesterday

Unacceptable and maybe Poch should consider blooding more of our youngsters

3pts behind City.....(4 behind Pool) but seemingly impossible for us to finish top 4.
Yet Utd, 3pts behind us are seemingly odds on for a title challenge now.
And Watford, 3 pts behind Utd couldnt possibly finish above them.

Are Utds 3pts worth more than everyone elses? Would'nt surpirse me actually.
"Jose points are worth twice as much as Poch Points... everyone knows that!!"
Yes, Thank-you Zippy!

It's the same warped logic that will probably see the PL award 3pts each to both Man City and ArseAnal next weekend, just 'cos Pep is their manager, (1 extra point) they dim the lights and sing 'Blue Moon' before each game (another additional Crowd Bonus point)
not forgetting Sanchez is playing, and Ozil sucking his little thumb apparently now earns you an extra 2 points per game, regardless of the result!

"Jose points are worth twice as much as Poch Points... everyone knows that!!"
Yes, Thank-you Zippy!

It's the same warped logic that will probably see the PL award 3pts each to both Man City and ArseAnal next weekend, just 'cos Pep is their manager, (1 extra point) they dim the lights and sing 'Blue Moon' before each game (another additional Crowd Bonus point)
not forgetting Sanchez is playing, and Ozil sucking his little thumb apparently now earns you an extra 2 points per game, regardless of the result!
Tell us how you really feel, mate

Bravo Sir..

What people seem to be forgetting is, we are ahead of where we were this time last season..
We went on to achieve our highest place in the premier league..
Let's hope we continue to better our points tally only with a better finish this season.

Its as if its come as a massive shock to some that Chelsea, Liverpool, City and Woolwich have all improved from last season....like they were going to be equally average this season too.
Look at the top 6....there are only two stand out teams, in terms of winning pretty much every week.

Yet we are still only 10 points behind Chelsea and 7 behind arse, despite us misfiring and them peaking.

The rest are all as likely to fuck up, or win 6 in a row as we are. People giving up on the season because it doesnt look like we can win the league, fuck me.

What if those youngsters simply aren't good enough?

Problem is we wont know until we throw them in when it matters (ie Winks v West Ham...had me worried for sure when the line ups were announced)

Yesterday, Id have happily taken off Alli and given Josh a run out....as I would have for Son the last few games.

Id like to know why Onomah suddenly fell out favour actually

Exactly

I think he one bad game, maybe a CL one where he ran around like a headless chicken, but I really rate him!

Watching yesterday's abject performance has really worried me in that too many of our most senior players just didn't look up for it and were willing to accept the 1-0 defeat!
And I'm talking about Kane, Alli, Dembele, Eriksen, Son

I said before the game that I would have preferred Dier to Victor and stand by that!

We desperately need a leader on the pitch who won't accept performances like that and Dier seems to be the only one capable of stepping up

I know I'm showing my age but oh for a Dave Mackay!!!

Arses would certainly have been kicked yesterday!!

Its as if its come as a massive shock to some that Chelsea, Liverpool, City and Woolwich have all improved from last season....like they were going to be equally average this season too.
Look at the top 6....there are only two stand out teams, in terms of winning pretty much every week.

Yet we are still only 10 points behind Chelsea and 7 behind arse, despite us misfiring and them peaking.

The rest are all as likely to fuck up, or win 6 in a row as we are. People giving up on the season because it doesnt look like we can win the league, fuck me.

Have to say I love the new Sammy:adethumbup:

It's good to have a bit of optimism

I was still pissed off after yesterday's performance and I made the mistake of reading Troops and John Thomas exchanges

Both normally good posters but FFS!!
:wansum:

Am I the only one that didn't think we played that bad? I thought it was a high quality football match and their midfield (in particular Carrick and Pogba who were excellent) won the battle for them. One little mistake in transition by Harry and a poor bit of positioning in the same move by Wanyama and thats it but I thought we weren't exactly awful like some people are saying.

Am I the only one that didn't think we played that bad? I thought it was a high quality football match and their midfield (in particular Carrick and Pogba who were excellent) won the battle for them. One little mistake in transition by Harry and a poor bit of positioning in the same move by Wanyama and thats it but I thought we weren't exactly awful like some people are saying.

Yeah - I didn't think we were that bad either, but then I only saw final 20 mins and highlights on MOTD. On another day one or more of those Eriksen or Waynama chances could have gone it, and it would have been a draw.

Yeah - I didn't think we were that bad either, but then I only saw final 20 mins and highlights on MOTD. On another day one or more of those Eriksen or Waynama chances could have gone it, and it would have been a draw.
From the start we tried to keep possession at all costs, only problem was Wanyama wasn't dropping back in between the centre backs like Dier does so Alderweireld and Vertonghen weren't getting enough options playing out, you could see Poch wanted to change this and gave a few instructions before the goal and just as our shape seemed to be transforming Kane gave the ball away and they came through.

I said this at half time but ignoring my obvious bias in me wanting us to win it was a fantastic match, kept me well and truly entertained despite the fact I was having to watch it on my laptop and it was bordering on 3AM by full time.

Back
Top Bottom