Swansea (H) 03-Dec

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You have a point as there was no concrete angle. You couldn't come to a decision based on the replay/s. In one it looked lik slight contact and the he withdrew, to me it looked like he made a meal of it, but really there was no close up slow mo angle to determine anything.
This isn't a court of law - with weasel word lawyers looking to shit on witnesses to get a killer free.
We all know he dived and unless people have never played football in their lives, then we all know that he could have stayed on his feet if he wanted to.
Therefore, by default, he was looking for a foul in the penalty area, and trying to win a penalty by conning the referee. I love this club and always want us to win - but in the gap between him going down, and the ref pointing to the spot - I was hoping he would book Alli for diving.
The irony is that we were always going to beat them - and that Alli was back to his best - and had no need to mark himself as a cheat.
I love him as an edgy, aggressive and "in your face," talented footballer - but this diving shit, it's like he can't stop himself, and he needs to have some words spoken by other players and management.
We - as a club, and set of supporters have to practice what we preach. We are quick to bitch about the people that do it to us, so we need to have the courage of our convictions to condemn our own who do the same thing.

This isn't a court of law - with weasel word lawyers looking to shit on witnesses to get a killer free.
We all know he dived and unless people have never played football in their lives, then we all know that he could have stayed on his feet if he wanted to.
Therefore, by default, he was looking for a foul in the penalty area, and trying to win a penalty by conning the referee. I love this club and always want us to win - but in the gap between him going down, and the ref pointing to the spot - I was hoping he would book Alli for diving.
The irony is that we were always going to beat them - and that Alli was back to his best - and had no need to mark himself as a cheat.
I love him as an edgy, aggressive and "in your face," talented footballer - but this diving shit, it's like he can't stop himself, and he needs to have some words spoken by other players and management.
We - as a club, and set of supporters have to practice what we preach. We are quick to bitch about the people that do it to us, so we need to have the courage of our convictions to condemn our own who do the same thing.
Unreal, Spurs supporter advocating for a Spurs player to be booked.
What next ? :myword:

I sometimes wonder if Garth Crooks has some kind of grudge against the club, particularly when he does his "damned with faint praise" shit, like in this piece (with his comments on Walker)

Doesn't even mention Walkers performance bar one cross.... why put him in if you're just gonna use it as a means of shoehorning in an opinion piece. He deserved to go in the team of the week just for the heroic act of playing on after such a nasty injury. But Crookes fails to even mention that.

I don't disagree with a word that he says, i almost posted a picture of some paper and some cracks on saturday. But its bad journalism.

Flesh it out and write a whole article if you feel that strongly about it.

I've criticised Eriksen of late but it has been fully justified, he has been awful for a few weeks now. You can't say he's been brilliant when it's clear to see that he hasn't..
Yesterday he showed some signs of improvement which I also commented on. I don't boo him in the ground or mention his poor form over and over again. I offer an honest opinion of each game and if he's had a bad game I mention it and then discuss who did have good game.

He was far from the finished article yesterday but had a better game than he's had recently which is a good sign as when he's on his game he is superb.

Eriksen will come good no problem

And I hope I do

Bad hangover today

:walkercry::roseunsure:

Doesn't even mention Walkers performance bar one cross.... why put him in if you're just gonna use it as a means of shoehorning in an opinion piece. He deserved to go in the team of the week just for the heroic act of playing on after such a nasty injury. But Crookes fails to even mention that.

I don't disagree with a word that he says, i almost posted a picture of some paper and some cracks on saturday. But its bad journalism.

Flesh it out and write a whole article if you feel that strongly about it.
Over the past couple of seasons I would disagree with this
"Tottenham team that destroys the lesser outfits yet suffers from stage fright when the bigger clubs come along."

Our record against top 4 teams has been comparable or better

The last result was a narrow loss against a high flying team who we dominated for significant portions of the game, who needed a world class goal and a monumental piece of comatose defending to win.

Unreal, Spurs supporter advocating for a Spurs player to be booked.
What next ? :myword:
I explained quite clearly my reasoning, if you disagree then c'est la vie, but when you clearly don't understand - then post nothing as just makes you look like a fool - or a bitter poster with nothing better to do than bitch and moan.

If Naughton was stupid enough to lead with his right leg in a nothing tackle when Alli was heading away from the goal but still in the box then that's his problem and possibly one of the reasons why we got rid!

As for someone advocating John "cunt" Terry as some sort of example to other players!

Dear oh dear!!

:paulinhobored::avbfacepalm:

Over the past couple of seasons I would disagree with this
"Tottenham team that destroys the lesser outfits yet suffers from stage fright when the bigger clubs come along."

Our record against top 4 teams has been comparable or better

The last result was a narrow loss against a high flying team who we dominated for significant portions of the game, who needed a world class goal and a monumental piece of comatose defending to win.

Yeah, i think his overall point is valid, but i dont think its dropping points against the top four that is responsible.

He would be correct in saying that we have a history of fluffing our lines when the pressure is on though and that we still have a lot of work to do if we want to be considered "title contenders".

Again this year, it is the varying form of the teams above us that has kept us relevant rather than our own results. Saying that, if all the teams above us (bar chelsea) are struggling to put runs together and the quality of the league (whether you call it generally good or bad) is that any team can beat any team on the day, then perhaps we should adjust our expectations game by game.

We are still up there, but i don't know for the life of me how. We can only compare our form against the teams around us i guess.

We cant win anyway because: we scrape a scrappy 1-0 win at home to Swansea, or worse draw or lose the game, then "we cant even beat relegation fodder at home". We smash them to bits then "It's only Swansea don't get too excited".

If Naughton was stupid enough to lead with his right leg in a nothing tackle when Alli was heading away from the goal but still in the box then that's his problem and possibly one of the reasons why we got rid!

As for someone advocating John "cunt" Terry as some sort of example to other players!

Dear oh dear!!

:paulinhobored::avbfacepalm:
you are twisting what was said - nobody put Terry up as an example of an honest player, but as someone who told Drogba to give it a rest. I have no idea if that is true though.
As for you continually disagreeing with anyone who says Alli cheated - you would have to either have no knowledge of the games laws, or be the most myopic and biased supporter on the planet to believe that what he did was was an ethical or honest piece of footballing skill.
He conned the ref - and the bottom line is, it's cheating.

And Naughton pulled out of the tackle, and Alli threw his leg at him and dived, your assessment of what happened is shrouded in bias.

Like Maradonna's goal against England, Henry's against Ireland etc etc

Last edited:
Serious question (not to anyone in particular):

Would you take Alli diving to win a pen that wins us a cup final?
My conscience would say no, but if it happens i'll be celebrating full force so there you have it

On the game, felt good to finally see us destroy a team, even one as weak as this one. That Son goal was a thing of beauty, the power, skill and positional awareness to pull that off are quite impressive. One thing he doesnt have to learn is where the goal is, would be curious to see his shot accuracy % over his career, i think it could be very impressive

Id use the old swings and roundabouts arguments......Mendes at Old Trafford....Nani playing basketball to score at Old Trafford, losing to Pompey at Wembley from a dive......the list (for all teams) is endless, so yeah Id take the trophy. You´d have to be pretty silly to want to give it back.

Biased and hypocrtitcal in the football wordl? You bet I am

On the flip side, would anyone prefer Alli got booked and we drew 0-0 with Swansea?
:gallashmm:

we none of has have a choice, unless we get a refs badge

for me - no, there's a right way to win at any sport, and there are rules that govern that sports way of being conducted. You either stick to them - or cheat.

If football used TV evidence like rugby does, Alli would have been sanctioned.
We all know it, some are just a bit more biased and intransigent than others.

I dont think it was any different from Son v West Ham...the defenders were naive and both the Spurs players moved their legs towards the oppo´s.

Just that Allis was more Swan Lake

I guess that's the kind of thing no one would admit to but deep down would accept..

All I know is other clubs have won trophies by diving, cheating or schemeing..

For me, there is a lot of hypocrisy involved in diving as an issue (as there is all over football in general)

So:

1. We have seen Alli get players sent off in the past for getting in their face and the general consensus seems to be its a good thing that he has that "aggression and desire to win". Good that the lad has a bit of needle.
But we deplore the actions of that little rat Fabregas on the weekend (very different circumstances, but i use the example to make my point).

2. Its disappointing that the talking point from Alli's performance on the weekend will be the manor that we scored the first goal and not that he seemed to be back somewhere near to his best, albeit against absolutely woeful opposition. But if it HAD been the winning goal in a cup final, then who is going to remember he dived to win the pen when the trophy has been in our cabinet for ten years.

Individual games and performances fall by the wayside, but honours are forever.

Incidents like the Maradona hand of god have become iconic by their nature so they don't really count, besides it wasn't even a final.

Personally i would take the trophy all day long. You can have your morals but they don't keep you warm in bed at night. And ultimately its not a drop in the ocean in the tide of lies and corruption that is modern football.

Id use the old swings and roundabouts arguments......Mendes at Old Trafford....Nani playing basketball to score at Old Trafford, losing to Pompey at Wembley from a dive......the list (for all teams) is endless, so yeah Id take the trophy. You´d have to be pretty silly to want to give it back.

Biased and hypocrtitcal in the football wordl? You bet I am

On the flip side, would anyone prefer Alli got booked and we drew 0-0 with Swansea?
:gallashmm:
Really good point- everyone seems to think we would have steamrollered Swansea anyway-Without that first goal, it could have been one of those days where we couldn't score no matter how much we battered them-& perhaps even got caught with a sucker punch in the 90th minute. The goal lifted the fans & the team & put Swansea under pressure to do something to get back into the game.

I'm not going back into the "was it a dive argument" again. The only person who knows is Alli himself. Some people seem to be sure on the basis of the available footage, that he did.

:sandroscream:

Back
Top Bottom