Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The thing im confused about is when he says we don't have the squad necessary to balance league and cl games and how the big issue is the "rest period" between cl and league games.....then says getting in the europa league is important. I mean wtf? just really confusing messages.

Yet, we were title contenders 6 months ago.

The fact we've failed in the Champions League should tell you all you need to know about the progression we've made under Poch.

With the youngest squad in the League no less.

When did our fanbase become so entitled?

You want to call for the sacking of a manager unbeaten in the League? Sack him and do what?

I'll refer you and the rest of your jolly crew to a post I researched in the Monaco thread...
Mate, I din't see your original post in the Monaco thread, but after reading it quoted here I wanna give you a big one of these: :adethumbup:

Fucking excellent post. If I could be bothered going to find it in the actual thread I'd chuck it a like as well. A much needed dose of perspective and rationality. Good stuff.

If you cannot see what Pochettino is building with our club then it's a sad state of affairs that you want him gone to be replaced by someone 'competent' what does that mean exactly in football manager speak? You want someone with a 80%+ win ratio?
Someone who picks the strongest side for our most important games?

Again, who on here agrees with the decision to rest Walker, & Vertonghen? (And Eriksen)

The thing im confused about is when he says we don't have the squad necessary to balance league and cl games and how the big issue is the "rest period" between cl and league games.....then says getting in the europa league is important. I mean wtf? just really confusing messages.
Its just bullshit quotes to keep the press happy.

Someone who picks the strongest side for our most important games?

Again, who on here agrees with the decision to rest Walker, & Vertonghen? (And Eriksen)

I didn't agree with it, but it was what it was. Perhaps he thought the side he put out would have been good enough to beat Monaco? Players let us down as much as Pochettino did. Trippier seems to disappear. Son suddenly turned into a competition winner. Dembele was a sending off waiting to happen the way he was flying about.

Lloris was one of the few who performed over and above expectation. We put out a stronger side in the home leg against this lot and still lost.

Mate, I din't see your original post in the Monaco thread, but after reading it quoted here I wanna give you a big one of these: :adethumbup:

Fucking excellent post. If I could be bothered going to find it in the actual thread I'd chuck it a like as well. A much needed dose of perspective and rationality. Good stuff.
Cheers dude. Success takes time and we've been slowly, but surely getting there. Still hold high hopes for the season and fully expect to see silverware at the end of it.

I hate, absolutely hate, the negativity certain circles wallow in. We all saw the 90's. Is it too hard to enjoy this without taking every setback and using it as a weapon.

What happens if we sack Poch? We start again. Again.

It'd be 3 steps back.

Cheers dude. Success takes time and we've been slowly, but surely getting there. Still hold high hopes for the season and fully expect to see silverware at the end of it.

I hate, absolutely hate, the negativity certain circles wallow in. We all saw the 90's. Is it too hard to enjoy this without taking every setback and using it as a weapon.

It'd be 3 steps back.

STRONGLY AGREE

I don't want to say that the manager is beyond criticism, he's not. Hes young and he's still learning his trade.

But i feel that we are reaching a tipping point this season and next. We can keep our expectations in check and stomach a couple more "difficult" seasons. Hold on to one of the most progressive and revered young managers in world football, renowned for maximising young players potential.

Or we can spit our dummies out, boo until we're purple and force the chairman's hand YET AGAIN.

There are no guarantees that the new stadium will instantly bring success, if Levy sells then who knows what the new owners will bring to the table. But SOOOO many people complain about our transfer policy letting us down window after window and that is something that will improve once we are in the new stadium and we become more commercially relevant.

"Mate i know you've not eaten in a week, and have spent the last twenty years living off scraps - but you can either have this dry stale cracker now or wait another 24 hours and have a 7 course banquet "

"I'll have the cracker thanks, and then say it was shit. "

It'd be 3 steps back.
Agreed: We go on and reverse last nights result with a win against the Chavs! COYS

Lets all be honest, Nkoudou looks good but 10 minutes here and there to be frank he's just njie 2.0, Jansen is a trier (which i love) but he just feels like soldaldo all over again. We seem to just repeat the same mistakes over and over again in the Transfer market. If players don't wan't to come to spurs then what can we do? I don't think thats the problem though its probably money (its always money). Wanyama has been pretty solid but its now evident that Dier after all isn't a centre back he's our best defensive midfielder. Dembele looked frustrated last night, he's our best player by a mile and we need to find a way to utilise him higher up the pitch. (dropping Erikkson back alongside 1 of the DMs isn't as crazy as it seems). I feel like at the moment even when our strongest 11 is fit and healthy theres still some players playing out of position and it shows. How do you get all them central players in a team and keep width? Playing 3-5-2 or 5-2-2-1? I don't actually know.
Allí Eriksson Dembele Wanyama Dier Thats the problem we need to solve only 3 of them can play every week otherwise Eriksson ends up on the wing and i think he's shite there.
My posts are all a bit of a mess at the moment a bit like spurs in general really theres so much going on i skip from thing to thing, sorry about that.
One things is for sure though i have rather enjoyed the past 5 years of being a spurs fan, much more than the 20 years before that :D

We are on the right path! Just don't want to lose our big guns...

Leave my Poch alone

How much trouble would we get in from UEFA if we said, "Yeah, we'll try to tank our last game against CSKA so we don't waste our Thursday nights in the fucking Europa League"?

An interesting way to think about things is that we're actually almost exactly the same as last year. If you look at shots, goals, saves, nearly everything (even the secret, non-public stuff) has us on exactly the same pace as last year.

The only things which have changed are the narratives surrounding the team and league, and our results in Europe.

It definitely leaves questions about what exactly is going on/is there anything really wrong at all.

An interesting way to think about things is that we're actually almost exactly the same as last year. If you look at shots, goals, saves, nearly everything (even the secret, non-public stuff) has us on exactly the same pace as last year.

The only things which have changed are the narratives surrounding the team and league, and our results in Europe.

It definitely leaves questions about what exactly is going on/is there anything really wrong at all.

Talk to me about this ''secret, non-public'' stuff. Sounds saucy.

Teams do play worse from season to season. Look at Chelsea last season, started bad, sacked their Manager and ended up out of Europe all a year after winning Premiership. Look at Leicester this season.
How many times have Fergie and Whinger been criticised by own fans but turned it around.
We have frequently sacked Managers mid season and it rarely works as the best replacements are not available.
We do need to rotate. Yes Poch got it wrong last night but was it the defence or was it Son who when in 2 promising positions did not even get a shot in or was Kane, Dele & Dembele not match fit. You can carry 1 but 3?
We need to win the last CL match and play the Europa matches at Wembley, so we do not start next season on a losing streak at Wembley.
The next 2 years are going to be hard with the changes of stadium. But scrapping the Management and playing style is not the answer and we need to get our existing players back up to scratch.

Back to the Poch thread. Third in a two horse race last year when the top sides didn't perform. A 6 game run without a goal from open play. Out of League cup, and the CL. No chance of top four, and no doubt he will have us exiting the FA cup at the first available chance. The team plays ugly football, and there is never a plan B. I gave him till the end of the season, but Christmas would be better. Eddie Howe would be nice

Back to the Poch thread. Third in a two horse race last year when the top sides didn't perform. A 6 game run without a goal from open play. Out of League cup, and the CL. No chance of top four, and no doubt he will have us exiting the FA cup at the first available chance. The team plays ugly football, and there is never a plan B. I gave him till the end of the season, but Christmas would be better. Eddie Howe would be nice
raw

Stick with Poch. The club cannot attract top players because they can't afford to pay top wages and lack pedigree in the CL. This can all change when the new stadium arrives. The stadium looks like it could generate the most partisan atmosphere in the prem. With that behind the team things can change and the chance of wining the PL will be more realistic. Levy has done good deals on the ground and increased revenue will transform the club. Win the PL and the top players will start coming. In the meantime the club is going through the biggest upheaval in it's history and the emphasis must be financial stability.

Stick with Poch. The club cannot attract top players because they can't afford to pay top wages and lack pedigree in the CL. This can all change when the new stadium arrives. The stadium looks like it could generate the most partisan atmosphere in the prem. With that behind the team things can change and the chance of wining the PL will be more realistic. Levy has done good deals on the ground and increased revenue will transform the club. Win the PL and the top players will start coming. In the meantime the club is going through the biggest upheaval in it's history and the emphasis must be financial stability.

LOL. Don't forget the new stadium needs paying for. Also, the additional revenue from the stadium will not generate nearly enough cash to sign top class players. The fact is that Poch's signings have been dreadful, the football has been dreadful, he doesn't appear to take any competitions seriously, and he has no plan B. To be honest, he is like Martin Jol, he had a bit of luck and is now being found out. Ultimately it doesn't matter what you and I think, I can't see levy standing for this crap for much longer. POCH OUT

LOL. Don't forget the new stadium needs paying for. Also, the additional revenue from the stadium will not generate nearly enough cash to sign top class players.
Definitely. For all the praise Levy has gotten for his business sense, he is utter shit at getting commercial deals, which is the only real way to make Spurs capable of signing these top players. Compare it what the Boston guys did with Liverpool. Yes, some of it is cringy, but they're now richer than Juve and that allows them to pay the wages of players like Firmino and Mane (and will probably let them keep Coutinho for a while). Most of the money from the new stadium will probably go towards paying for the new stadium for a long time.
The fact is that Poch's signings have been dreadful, the football has been dreadful, he doesn't appear to take any competitions seriously, and he has no plan B.
The back three against Woolwich and the 4-1-4-1 against Man City say otherwise. The past month or so has been disappointing, but I think that's down to injuries more than anything else.
To be honest, he is like Martin Jol, he had a bit of luck and is now being found out. Ultimately it doesn't matter what you and I think, I can't see levy standing for this crap for much longer. POCH OUT
He's managing the 6th-richest team in England. He's finished 5th and 3rd. I don't think it's just a "bit of luck", he's taken Spurs above the level that people thought they were capable of two years ago.

Back
Top Bottom