Tottenham Hotspur v. West Ham United

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have to disagree. Playing against Woolwich away from home is completely different to playing against West Ham at our place. For one, you get much more space to operate in because Woolwich actually try to play football. I'm not convinced that it will work against teams that park the bus on us, and it wouldn't surprise me if West Ham do just that. Btw, we only drew the match, not bad obviously away from home in a tough derby game, but it's still not the three points that have eluded us for so long now. I'm not sure the 352 is necessarily the answer for getting us to score more.

I agree that the 4231 hasn't worked out for a while, but a big part in that was the absence of Kane and Alderweireld imo. Janssen is far to one-dimensional atm to play as a lone forward. With a fully fit Kane back though I don't see why we couldn't play the 4231 again. Also, the absence of Alderweireld meant we were somewhat less impressive at the back, both defensively and also offensively in terms of passing out from the back, so getting another CB in for defensive security and for freeing up the other CB's to attack more made sense.

The 352 system worked well against Woolwich and I agree that it doesn't necessarily have to be a defensive-minded system, it can be very much an attacking setup. I actually like the system and am not opposed to using it, even against West Ham, but you have to take personnel into account. Venables for example used it with England and at times played Anderton and McManaman as wing-backs, and the likes of Redknapp, Platt, Ince and Gascoigne in midfield. That was obviously very offensive-minded. However, as I said it depends on who you play, the variant we played against Woolwich was pretty defensive, with actual full-backs as wing-backs, and on top of the three CB's an out and out DM and a box-to-box one in Dembele. That's too defensive for West Ham at home imo. You would only have three attacking players in there.

If people really want to use the 352 against West Ham I suggest we actually put a winger in as wing-back, though I doubt we currently have anyone available who would be suited for that role. Or alternatively, replace Wanyama or Dembele with a more offensive-minded player. I'm not sure that would really get the best out of our team atm though, hence why I think it would be better to go with the 4231 for this game.
Good post. In terms of the wing back role I think Trippier would flourish in the wing back role and he'd rack up the assists pretty quickly. I think he's been good when he's played this season and with Walker's underlying injury problems I wouldn't be surprised if he's used in some big games, perhaps we'll see him on Saturday or Tuesday.

I have to disagree. Playing against Woolwich away from home is completely different to playing against West Ham at our place. For one, you get much more space to operate in because Woolwich actually try to play football. I'm not convinced that it will work against teams that park the bus on us, and it wouldn't surprise me if West Ham do just that. Btw, we only drew the match, not bad obviously away from home in a tough derby game, but it's still not the three points that have eluded us for so long now. I'm not sure the 352 is necessarily the answer for getting us to score more.

I agree that the 4231 hasn't worked out for a while, but a big part in that was the absence of Kane and Alderweireld imo. Janssen is far to one-dimensional atm to play as a lone forward. With a fully fit Kane back though I don't see why we couldn't play the 4231 again. Also, the absence of Alderweireld meant we were somewhat less impressive at the back, both defensively and also offensively in terms of passing out from the back, so getting another CB in for defensive security and for freeing up the other CB's to attack more made sense.

The 352 system worked well against Woolwich and I agree that it doesn't necessarily have to be a defensive-minded system, it can be very much an attacking setup. I actually like the system and am not opposed to using it, even against West Ham, but you have to take personnel into account. Venables for example used it with England and at times played Anderton and McManaman as wing-backs, and the likes of Redknapp, Platt, Ince and Gascoigne in midfield. That was obviously very offensive-minded. However, as I said it depends on who you play, the variant we played against Woolwich was pretty defensive, with actual full-backs as wing-backs, and on top of the three CB's an out and out DM and a box-to-box one in Dembele. That's too defensive for West Ham at home imo. You would only have three attacking players in there.

If people really want to use the 352 against West Ham I suggest we actually put a winger in as wing-back, though I doubt we currently have anyone available who would be suited for that role. Or alternatively, replace Wanyama or Dembele with a more offensive-minded player. I'm not sure that would really get the best out of our team atm though, hence why I think it would be better to go with the 4231 for this game.
4-1-3-2. Put Dier CB . 2 up front for me. Lets get at em.

In a week where I've got both a promotion at work and a new gf (#blatant) it won't count for fuck all unless we beat these tax-leeching, stadium squatting, nazi loving cunts.

I think I'm unwell

In a week where I've got both a promotion at work and a new gf (#blatant) it won't count for fuck all unless we beat these tax-leeching, stadium squatting, nazi loving cunts.

I think I'm unwell

Photos or none of this happened.

I'll be in a pub with my good lady & she'll be experiencing ' schrooms for the 1st time .

My prediction ...Tottenham - laser shooting fish : moist toast -spammers

Woke up at 6 because I was hyped for this game. It's our final match against West ham at the lane. A 530 KO . I have front row seats at the shelf. This is going to be special.

Back
Top Bottom