Woolwich away

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can't bring myself to go on their forums but how is their confidence?

We're in a bit of a dip, granted, but they didn't look particularly good against a bunch of farmers on Tues and I still say that Ozil was offside for his goal and watching it again why didn't the Ludgorets keeper make a Schumaker tackle on him as in 1982 World Cup against Battison of France and taken the bug eyed cunt out?

I'll be watching this from my usual position of standing in the middle of my lounge, six feet from the telly, jumping from foot to foot, looking like a fucking mental.

Difference this time will be the hands over the eyes, as I'm not looking forward to this at all. I fucking hate playing these cunts and especially when they are apparently looking so good compared to us. I know form isn't everything in these matches, but history will show it's a decent indicator.

Please have the players up for this, but not too up for it as we need them all on the pitch.

Woolwich v Tottenham: Spurs need positive result to forget struggles - Danny Murphy
_84553740_dannymurphy_bbc.jpg

By Danny Murphy

MOTD pundit and former Tottenham midfielder

• 3 hours ago
  • From the sectionFootball
_88445159_motd-2048-long.jpg

You can watch highlights of Woolwich v Tottenham on MOTD2 at 22:30 GMT on Sunday on BBC One and the BBC Sport website. Danny Murphy and Alan Shearer join Mark Chapman in the studio.

Tottenham have gone six games without a win and have not scored a goal in open play for more than seven hours, but I don't see them as a team in crisis ahead of Sunday's north London derby.

Mauricio Pochettino's side are being judged in comparison to last season, when they set their standards so high and were Leicester's closest challengers for the title, eventually finishing third.

They are a young, evolving team, but that success means people are being more critical of them now.

It is true that Spurs are not playing well at the moment and striker Harry Kane's six-week absence with an ankle injury has not helped, but that does not mean they are not as good as we thought.

'A positive result and Spurs' struggles are forgotten'

Without Kane they have clearly been struggling in attack, but they are still undefeated in the Premier League and only three points off the top of the table.

They also still have a chance of reaching the last 16 of the Champions League, even if they have left themselves a mountain to climb after Wednesday's defeat by Bayer Leverkusen.

Jump media player
Media player help

Out of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
Wembley not to blame - Pochettino
Sometimes a defeat and a horrible performance like that can give you the kick up the backside you need before another big game.

For Spurs, it doesn't get any bigger than Woolwich. If they can put on a positive performance at Emirates Stadium on Sunday and get a positive result then their other recent results are forgotten.

Every game against the Gunners is huge but this one is especially important to my former club because the outcome could help them keep their belief in their ability and their manager's tactics.

Why are Tottenham struggling in the final third?

Jump media player
Media player help

Harry Kane could return for Tottenham against Woolwich - Mauricio Pochettino
It will be very hard for Tottenham against a side playing so well with so much firepower and they would feel much more confident if they had their own best XI.

It will be interesting to see who starts out of Kane, Toby Alderweireld and Moussa Dembele, who have all been injured recently.

But, even if they are without those players, Pochettino's side will still be well organised and work tremendously hard to stop the Gunners from playing.

The question is how much of a threat can they pose to Arsene Wenger's team.

I know Tottenham beat Manchester City without Kane but they are a better side when he plays.

It is the last third of the pitch where they have been struggling without him because, with Vincent Janssen still adjusting to English football, the likes of Christian Eriksen, Erik Lamela and Moussa Sissoko are not chipping in with enough goals.

Tottenham players strike-rate in the Premier League 2016-17
Player
Mins* Shots Goals Conversion %
*Maximum minutes played after 10 PL games = 900
Son Heung-min 529 22 4 18.2%
Harry Kane
422 12 2 16.7%
Dele Alli
803 24 3 12.5%
Victor Wanyama
862 9 1 11.1%
Vincent Janssen
501 17 1 5.8%
Erik Lamela
592 18 1 5.6%
Christian Eriksen
774 33 0 0%
Moussa Sissoko
327 8 0 0%
Dele Alli is the only player who keeps getting himself in good goalscoring positions and he probably has not scored as many as he should have done when you look at the chances he has had.

Other than Alli, there does not really seem to be a goal threat from Tottenham's front four, or anywhere else in their team - he is the only Spurs player to have scored a goal from open play in the last five games in the Premier League or Champions League

Tottenham's front four are not looking anywhere near as dangerous or creative when you compare them to the players in the same positions from the teams above them in the table - City, Liverpool and Woolwich.

Should Pochettino change his system?

Jump media player
Media player help

Could it be the closest Premier League title race ever?
Pochettino is an intelligent coach and he will be aware the players in the final third are not doing well enough. They have got to score more goals if they want to challenge for the title.

He has got a decision to make on Sunday because, if he gives his attackers more freedom to change positions and pop up in different areas then that will affect the team's shape and the defensive solidity which is one of their strengths.

Goals were not an issue for Spurs last season so Pochettino knows his players are capable of doing far better when they attack, but he will also be well aware they cannot just be reliant on one player - Kane - to get them the goals that will win them the title.

Kane could return on Sunday but you cannot expect him to hit the ground running after six weeks out. I am sure Spurs are not going to panic and rush him back, either, because they have got some more big games to come.

Tottenham's games in November
Home
Away
West Ham
(Premier League, 19 Nov) Woolwich (Premier League, 6 Nov)
Monaco (Champions League, 22 Nov)
Chelsea (Premier League, 26 Nov)
Tottenham want to be in this position, though, playing Champions League football and then having big Premier League games straight afterwards.

They strived so hard to get here last season, therefore they have to embrace it, and do their best with the situation they are in without letting it dent their collective confidence and having an adverse effect on the current campaign.

Spurs players are hungry to improve

As far as Sunday goes, I think if you offered Spurs a draw now, they would take it with the players they are missing and after the week they have had.

In contrast, the Gunners will be trying to get on the front foot straight away, like they did against Chelsea in September when they went 3-0 up before half-time.

Woolwich are flying at the moment so it is imperative Tottenham respect that, keep a good shape and stay in the game.

They also need to return to the performance levels they produced when they beat Manchester City last month and for long periods last season. When they do that, they will win matches again.

You learn the most from the bad spells you go through as a team and, from watching them play over the last year or two, I know the Spurs players have got the hunger and desire to improve and get through this.

There is enough quality in their squad for them to do it too.

It would be foolish to write them off because we could be sitting here in a month's time saying how well they have done to turn things around, and look where they are now

I didn't know Danny Murphy could string a sentance together... let alone an entire article!

I'll be watching this from my usual position of standing in the middle of my lounge, six feet from the telly, jumping from foot to foot, looking like a fucking mental.

Difference this time will be the hands over the eyes, as I'm not looking forward to this at all. I fucking hate playing these cunts and especially when they are apparently looking so good compared to us. I know form isn't everything in these matches, but history will show it's a decent indicator.

Please have the players up for this, but not too up for it as we need them all on the pitch.
Pics please.

I want a 5-0 victory.. Dele and Dier giving the crowd a 5-0 sign, a full blown selfie and a picture of Lloris playing the piano singing " 5-0 to the Tottenham "

Oh and Wallcot to break both legs..

Fucking hell we were shit at the turn of the century.... No mention of Johnnie Jackson being a lifelong Goon either.

Woolwich v Tottenham: An all-time Prem NLD dregs XI

Date published: Friday 4th November 2016 9:05

John-Piercy-Football365.jpg

When one thinks of the north London derby, thoughts of Thierry Henry wonder goals, Aaron Lennon celebrating a last-minute equaliser with a deranged fan and an injured Theo Walcott taking time out from being stretchered off the pitch to remind Tottenham fans of the score instantly come to mind.

But what of the real stars of clashes between Woolwich and Tottenham? The Nourredine Naybets, the Reto Zieglers, the Oleg Luzhnys. The players without whom a north London derby would not be a north London derby.

Because weโ€™re miserable sods here at Football365, we will not be compiling a greatest-ever combined XI from the two sides. No, instead we will take a look at the worst players to ever feature in a clash between the two sides.

The criteria is simple: Players must have featured in a north London derby in the Premier League since the turn of the millennium. One minute as a substitute in 2000 will suffice.

GOALKEEPER: Rami Shaaban
Described as โ€˜a potential replacement for David Seamanโ€™ in his player profile on the official Woolwich website, Rami Shaaban would never quite live up to the billing. A broken leg suffered on Christmas Eve 2004 curtailed his supposed rise, and upon his return from injury, there was little chance he would usurp Jens Lehmann. The Sweden international would make five Premier League appearances in all, with his debut coming in a 3-0 victory over Tottenham in November 2002.

RIGHT-BACK: Noe Pamarot
A centre-half by trade, and indeed a centre-half when helping guide Portsmouth to their 2008 FA Cup triumph, Noe Pamarot was used more sparingly as a right-back during his two-year stint at Tottenham. He played just 25 Premier League games for the club, yet played a part in one of the most memorable north London derbies in history in 2004. It is not likely something he brags about in the Pamarot household, considering the standard of the defensive masterclass both sides provided in a 5-4 Woolwich win.

CENTRE-BACK: Alton Thelwell
Woolwich currently boast Laurent Koscielny and Shkodran Mustafi, while the central-defensive pairing of Toby Alderweireld and Jan Vertonghen is often regarded as one of the best in the country. Yet while both clubs currently lay claim to strong, fast, talented and well-rounded defenders in the current day, both have endured their fair share of terrible centre-halves in the modern era.

We have had (Rocha) Ricardo Rocha. We have had Sebastien Squillaci. We have had Ramon Vega. But in terms of inadequacy, Alton towers above the rest. Thelwell started just 13 Premier League games during his five-year spell at White Hart Lane, of which Tottenhma lost eight, drew three and won just two. One of that triumvirate of stalemates was a classic north London derby in 2000, where a last-minute strike from Patrick Vieira levelled matters after Sergiy Rebrovโ€™s first-half opener.

CENTRE-BACK: Pascal Cygan
The chant
pretty much summed it up. โ€œHeโ€™s bald, heโ€™s sh*t, he plays when no-oneโ€™s fit, Pascal Cygan, Pascal Cygan.โ€ Lovely. It still exists as a heartfelt tribute to the man who Woolwich owe almost all of their Invincibles season to, considering he made 18 Premier League appearances in 2003/04.

LEFT-BACK: Andre Santos
He swapped his bloody shirt with Robin van Persie once! At half-time! Outside of committing footballโ€™s most heinous act, Andre Santos managed to establish a semi-successful career in pretending to be a left-back. Think Alberto Moreno, but perhaps even worse. The Brazilian made 39 Premier League appearances for the Gunners, losing just four times, and putting on a clinic as a ten-minute second-half substitute in a 5-2 victory over the clubโ€™s bitter rivals in November 2012.

RIGHT-WINGER: Adel Taarabt
Long before Harry Redknapp would publicly brand the winger fat, Adel Taarabt was Tottenhamโ€™s rebel without a cause during the late 2000s. He was blessed with undeniable talent, but lacked the application to fulfil it. By the time of his first north London derby appearance โ€“ as a second-half substitute in a 2-1 defeat in 2007 โ€“ Spurs still held hope that the Morrocan would come good. By the time of his second โ€“ as a second-half substitute in a 0-0 draw in 2009 โ€“ it had become a contractual obligation to refer to him as a maverick. And heโ€™s still only 27, which is something.

CENTRAL MIDFIELDER: Rohan Ricketts
In terms of โ€˜crossing the divideโ€™, the north London derby has a rather rich history. From Pat Jennings to Emmanuel Adebayor, via a combination of David Bentley and William Gallas, there have been a handful of players who have featured for both clubs. Even Harry Kane, one of Tottenhamโ€™s own, was once an honorary Gunner.

Of the 15 individuals to have played for both Woolwich and Spurs, few are remembered as fondly by either fanbase as Rohan Ricketts. A trainee for the Gunners in his youth, the midfielder was handed one appearance for the club before leaving in 2002. He would move directly to Tottenham โ€“ and yet Sol Campbell is the one referred to as Judas. What about your single appearance for the club as a 20-minute substitute in a Worthington Cup win over Manchester United in 2001? Did that mean nothing to you, Rohan? Do you have no remorse?

Ricketts found playing opportunities easier to come by at White Hart Lane, often partnering one of Jamie Redknapp, Mark Yeates or Michael Brown in an eclectic collection of midfielders. He was welcomed back to Highbury with open arms in November 2003, where Woolwich secured a 2-1 north London derby win.

CENTRAL MIDFIELDER: Johnnie Jackson
Tottenhamโ€™s squad at the turn of the millennium was quite something. Past and inevitable future England manager Glenn Hoddle did what he could with Willem Korsten, Jonathan Blondel and Milenko Aฤimoviฤ, but it was often a fruitless task. The clubโ€™s starting XI for the Worthington Cup final defeat to Blackburn in 2002 contained nine players over the age of 28.

That Johnnie Jackson provided the youthful antidote to an ageing squad speaks volumes of the standard of a Tottenham side which was often found battling relegation almost two decades ago. The midfielder broke through the clubโ€™s youth ranks in 1999, but bore all the hallmarks of a Charlton stalwart in his 20 Premier League appearances. He is unbeaten in north London derbies, mind. Well, technically anyway. He started a meeting between the two sides in April 2004, but was substituted at half-time with Woolwich leading 2-0; Tottenham would recover to draw 2-2.

LEFT-WINGER: John Piercy
Sorry, you donโ€™t know who John Piercy is? John Piercy of eight Premier League appearances? John Piercy of four historic years of service to Tottenham? John Piercy, Eastbourneโ€™s first-ever Premier League footballer? John Piercy, who Luka Modric, Rafael van der Vaart and Erik Lamela all referred to as their idol growing up when they each joined the club? John Piercy, who was part of a side which lost 2-0 to Woolwich in March 2001? John Pierโ€ฆ

STRIKER: Helder Postiga
Sometimes, on a quiet day, I like to make time to stop and think about Tottenham strikers of years gone by. Hours pass as memories of Grzegorz Rasiak come flooding back. Tears threaten to emerge at the thought of Sergiy Rebrov not instantly repaying his extravagant transfer fee. Sadness engulfs me, before the image of Harry Redknapp boasting about completing the signing of Louis Saha heralds fits of laughter. And donโ€™t forget Bobby Zamora. How could anyone forget Bobby Zamora?

Then there was Helder Postiga. The striker had impressed under little-known manager Jose Mourinho at Porto, and his reward for 31 goals in 87 games was a move to the Premier League. Aged just 20 when Tottenham spent ยฃ6.25million on his signature in 2003, the Portuguese understandably struggled in a completely different climate. He played 19 league games โ€“ including a 2-1 defeat to Woolwich in November 2003 โ€“ scored one goal, then returned to Porto before scoring against England at Euro 2004.

STRIKER: Jeremie Aliadiere
In terms of memorable north London derby moments, there is hardly a shortfall. Thierry Henryโ€™s wonderful goal and subsequent knee-sliding celebration in 2002 is captured by a statue outside the Emirates Stadium. Wojciech Szczesny attracted the ire of every former player by taking a picture of himself and his teammates in the immediate aftermath of a dour 1-0 win in March 2014. Paul Gascoigne inspired Tottenham to an FA Cup semi-final victory in 1991 with a wondrous Wembley performance.

But who could forget Jeremie Aliadiereโ€™s incredible two minutes in an April 2005 derby at Highbury? The game was on a knife edge when he was introduced for Jose Antonio Reyes, as Woolwich led 1-0. The Gunners would go on to win an absolute classic 1-0.

Matt Stead

Back
Top Bottom