***THE MIGHTY TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR V BRAIN LEVERKUSEN ****

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Christ you're all about doom and gloom tonight aren't you?

End-of-the-world-007-300x180.jpg

I'm hoping for the best, just like the past 6 games.

But I can't say I'm not worried.

[QUOTE="Gascoigne8, post: 1101640, member: Yeah I agree, unfortunately money has been given priority over football. That's why you have those group games as opposed to knock-out rounds straight away, so that every team is guaranteed a certain amount of games, and thereby earning a lot of money.

Yeah, kind of how it used to be. Will never happen again though. The top-clubs won't stand for it nowadays with all the money at stake. Can you imagine that in Spain only the campions would go to the CL? Barca and Real would not accept that one of them will miss out from the cash, nor would Atletico. Or here in England, with all the top-clubs only one would participate? In Germany Bayern would be the only participant every year, in France with PSG, which makes it boring. Also, back then there were more strong leagues around, so the champions of those leagues were worthy participants in the CL. The champions of the Dutch, Belgian and Scottish leagues were top-teams at the time. Clubs like Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord, Anderlecht, Rangers and Celtic were quality sides. Nowadays that's a lot less, so that's also an argument against going back to the old format.

In fact the very reason the CL has gradually expanded beyond just the champions is that clubs from the top-leagues wanted more opportunities to qualify for the CL. Top-clubs won't accept the old format, they would break away from UEFA if they were to install that. We actually see the opposite happening at the moment, with even more clubs from the top-countries being guaranteed a starting place (latest addition is that the top four from Germany, England, Spain and Italy are all guaranteed to get CL). And top-clubs are still not fully content and even threaten with this super-league stuff.

What I would say though is that while the CL is there to stay and won't go back to only including champions, in fact I can see it expanding even more, UEFA should review the EL. Right now the concept of that competition is the same as the CL, but it has basically become a B or loser-version of it. If you get third in your CL group you even get to participate in the EL, which just confirms their status as a loser-competition. Same with not getting through the qualifiying round of the CL, still can get you in the EL, also confirms it. In England the seventh placed team can even get EL depending on who wins the cups, what kind of achievement is that... The worst of it all was the fair-play place that got you into this competition. And then if you actually win the damn thing, your reward is that you get into the CL and don't have to play into this competition again. You can't even defend your trophy, clubs are more happy that they are out of it and in the CL, lol.

What I personally would like to see is that they delete the EL, or just merge it with the CL since it has the same concept anyway, and then set up a cup-competition somewhat similar to the old EC2 (cup-winners-cup). Adds some value to winning the domestic cup again, which now only gets you into the EL which nobody cares about, while at the same time it's a completely different tournament than the CL. Different concept in terms of straight knock-out, and the teams participating all deserve to be there because they actually won something, as opposed to finishing 6th or 7th in the League, 3rd in the CL group or through fair-play bullsh!t.[/QUOTE]
The CL is heading towards a super Euro League. Lose the little teams with just big games H&A.

Back
Top Bottom