Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just read the first 30 odd pages, all of which preceding my existence on here. Fair to say he's now over nearly all of the many many sceptics pre-appointment. Myself included.

Anyway this post from before he joined seems very accurate now. Poch has become a very good fit for us, our ethos and our willingness to promote youth also is aligned to him.
I remember some of the first messages in this thread, with some gems including: "We got Danny Dyer's fat twin" and "Fuck off back to Gaucholand". I think it's safe to say he proved the doubters wrong.

Unfortunately the curse doesn't exist, it's a myth. I can't find it now but it's something like 75%??? of managers that win it continue to win the next games after winning it.
It's just selection bias.

They win the next game, and everything is good.
Lose it. "AH CURSED!"

Just read the first 30 odd pages, all of which preceding my existence on here. Fair to say he's now over nearly all of the many many sceptics pre-appointment. Myself included.

Anyway this post from before he joined seems very accurate now. Poch has become a very good fit for us, our ethos and our willingness to promote youth also is aligned to him.

Glad to be of assistance :pochsmirk:

Would have been better if you'd have edited out the Martinez one. Shows how shite he went very quickly.

I remember some of the first messages in this thread, with some gems including: "We got Danny Dyer's fat twin" and "Fuck off back to Gaucholand". I think it's safe to say he proved the doubters wrong.
I wasn't thrilled when we were first linked. I wanted Van Gaal at the time.

Fucking got that one wrong.

To be fair though, this thread was started exactly one month after Sherwood was given the job, and the first few weeks of his tenure were really exciting and positive, before he started putting out formations with Chadli-Sigurdsson playing the center midfield duo, wtf.

I think it was Jayc1 Jayc1 that posted recently (can't find the post now) that The scum pass through our press (sorry if it wasn't you mate, I was travelling on a train when reading the post so chose not to respond). Whilst the theory of your post was correct the reality has been very different. Their worst pass completion for the past two years has been recorded in every league game against us. Just like in the above stat, the scum can't live with our football. Hope you don't think I'm singling out your post, it's just I hate those cunts and when I saw this I felt compelled to bring it up as I don't want anyone thinking those cunts can pass through our press, they in fact wilt.

I think it was Jayc1 Jayc1 that posted recently (can't find the post now) that The scum pass through our press (sorry if it wasn't you mate, I was travelling on a train when reading the post so chose not to respond). Whilst the theory of your post was correct the reality has been very different. Their worst pass completion for the past two years has been recorded in every league game against us. Just like in the above stat, the scum can't live with our football. Hope you don't think I'm singling out your post, it's just I hate those cunts and when I saw this I felt compelled to bring it up as I don't want anyone thinking those cunts can pass through our press, they in fact wilt.

They're bound to have a lower pass completion on average (It would be insane if they could pass through the press every single time), but if they do manage to pass through the press then I think we'd be in real danger and I think they're one of the biggest threats to us in a head-to-head.

Our record vs Woolwich during Poch's reign:
Woolwich 1 - 1 Tottenham
Tottenham 2 - 1 Woolwich
Tottenham 1 - 2 Woolwich
Woolwich 1 - 1 Tottenham
Tottenham 2 - 2 Woolwich

5 games. 1 win. 1 loss. 3 draws. Scored 7, conceded 7.

Not nice reading but Arsenals style of play is a threat to us. We'll win more matches vs any team in the league with our style, but against Woolwich we're likely to struggle. Pressing relies on the opponent having a lack of A) Options B) Composure C) Technical ability to pass out. Woolwich have all 3 of those and can be very dangerous on the counter.

Our results vs every team in the league have probably improved while Poch has been in charge, however we still consistently get draws against them instead of wins.

They're bound to have a lower pass completion on average (It would be insane if they could pass through the press every single time), but if they do manage to pass through the press then I think we'd be in real danger and I think they're one of the biggest threats to us in a head-to-head.

Woolwich 1 - 1 Tottenham
Tottenham 2 - 1 Woolwich
Tottenham 1 - 2 Woolwich
Woolwich 1 - 1 Tottenham
Tottenham 2 - 2 Woolwich

Not nice reading but Arsenals style of play is a threat to us. We'll win more matches vs any team in the league with our style, but against Woolwich we're likely to struggle. Pressing relies on the opponent having a lack of A) Options B) Composure C) Technical ability to pass out. Woolwich have all 3 of those and can be very dangerous on the counter.

Our results vs every team in the league have probably improved while Poch has been in charge, however we still consistently get draws against them instead of wins.

We will if we capitulate whilst 2-1 up against 10 men.

Woolwich 1 - 1 Tottenham
Tottenham 2 - 1 Woolwich
Tottenham 1 - 2 Woolwich
Woolwich 1 - 1 Tottenham
Tottenham 2 - 2 Woolwich

Agree v much with this. Woolwich can pass the ball out of defence very nicely. If we're committed to a full press on their back 4, a nice pass can take half our outfield players out simultaneously.

btw that loss was 1st round league cup, very weakened team so hardly counts (very annoyed at the time that we didn't pick a team to beat them). In PL, wins 1, draws 3. Pretty decent.

Woolwich 1 - 1 Tottenham
Tottenham 2 - 1 Woolwich
Tottenham 1 - 2 Woolwich
Woolwich 1 - 1 Tottenham
Tottenham 2 - 2 Woolwich

Yes, they are a good side.
Yes, they are a threat head-to-head

The point I was picking up on was you said in a previous post somewhere they can pass through our press. I was merely pointing out that it is absolutely, positively NOT the case. Their lowest pass completion rates they have recorded in the past 2 years of football is in each game they have played against us (in the League). This includes their CL games against the likes of Barca and Bayern (two of the great pressing teams). This was and still is the ONLY point that was being made.

Not trying to bring you down fella, just picking up on a fact that I felt compelled to write seeing as it's them that was being referenced.

There is a whole other topic of discussion about our head to head results you have brought up, but that isn't about the topic off pressing so I will not muddy the waters and respond in this reply.

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino is lobbying for the club to re-think the current Spurs' logo. His influence has been key in the development of many first team players in the lily white of North London from a young age suggesting "the current logo doesn't represent the team". In an open letter to the Tottenham board, the Argentinian submitted his ideas for the club's new logo...

YTHFC_zpsgymxa50m.png

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino is lobbying for the club to re-think the current Spurs' logo. His influence has been key in the development of many first team players in the lily white of North London from a young age suggesting "the current logo doesn't represent the team". In an open letter to the Tottenham board, the Argentinian submitted his ideas for the club's new logo...

YTHFC_zpsgymxa50m.png

Seems legit.

The point I was picking up on was you said in a previous post somewhere they can pass through our press. I was merely pointing out that it is absolutely, positively NOT the case. Their lowest pass completion rates they have recorded in the past 2 years of football is in each game they have played against us (in the League). This includes their CL games against the likes of Barca and Bayern (two of the great pressing teams). This was and still is the ONLY point that was being made.

You don't seem to get that when I say "Pass through the press" I don't mean consistently. Do they get through every time? No. So they have a low pass %. Do they get through sometimes? Sure, which explains the struggle to get wins and why they look dangerous against us.

I agree with what you're saying and I think we're both right.

Back
Top Bottom