Spurs vs Monaco - Glorious Return to Champions League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thoughts :

- Unlucky, they had 2 shots and scored, sadly that happens in football. We were the better team.
- Davies isn't a patch on Rose. Why he constantly showed Lemar inside I'll never know.
- Dier is hideously off form.
- Dembele showed how important he is to us. The quicker he's back in the team the better.
- We are a young team, many players having never played CL football before and a manager who's never managed in it. We'll be fine.

I didn't think the performance was that bad. We got beat by to great finishes.
Dele mom, he worked his socks off. I thought Davies had a good game to. Erikson was our worst player, and Kane and dier looked average. I'd give Kane a rest against Sunderland along with Dier and Erikson.

Team for Sunday
Loris
Walker, Toby, Jan, Davies
Wanyama, Moose.
Sisoko, Dele, Son
Jansen

Atmosphere wasn't as bad as what people are making out.
Davies was directly involved in both of their goals and whilst I'm not going to lay the entire blame at his door I would say that his lack of true defensive quality prevented a meaningful level of interference that might have changed the outcome. The second was a defensive cluster fuck all round but Davies could have stopped with greater awareness.

I am not so sure we were the better team. They got 2 goals a Wonderful strike , and a defensive mix up with a killer finish . Last seasons Kane would have scored twice but since his England
Soul destroyer we may be weeks/months before he starts performing . The Fat Sam
geriatric tatics will be a new disaster for our players .
They were professional and didn't have to do no more , sat back and we looked crap in front of goal .
A wake up call that possession is not the only way to skin a cat , especially if you can't finish .

Early morning write here. Despite the result I enjoyed last night. It was amazing to see the whole Tottenham community out and Wembley way covered with thousands of yids. In terms of the game I feel Monaco gave an excellent away performance and they defended well against our attacks. On another day Kane and Alis chances would have gone in. On to the next one!

Don't know why Dembele didn't start. If you're fit enough to come on then you should be fit enough to play at least an hour from the start.

Son and Lamela let the manager down last night, no fight or battle from either and they both messed up game changing moments.

Alli can't play centre mid in a 2, tries to cover too much and ends up leaving Dier exposed. The same happened in the summer for England.

Ground and atmosphere were good, it's just too big and acoustically bad to get chants going round the entire ground. Old Trafford suffers from this as well though.

Ha ha. Spurs fans. Anyone watching on a stream, just fuck off. The most deluded foreign fan base in the world. Come out into the sunshine, stop watching on ancient PC's, and actually watch some fucking football. It's totally pointless discussing football with you lot - you don't know what you're watching. Son was a liability, he backed off from their RB all the first half. It was so obvious Poch was going to hook him for Dembele. Kane looks tired and selfish, and Davies isn't a patch on Rose. Our players stopped passing to him in the 2nd half. Dele must have ran 3 million miles starting off at CM and then being pushed further up when Moose came on. To blame him is ridiculous. Son was the mistake - he gave the ball straight back whenever he got it. Hopeless.

"Oh but he scored 2 goals" Bollocks, he's shit.
Calling him shit is harsh, he's just limited and is unable to contribute to the high energy non-stop tempo that the team is trying to play to. His game at Stoke highlighted all can offer, good goals when given time and space.

Ha ha. Spurs fans. Anyone watching on a stream, just fuck off. The most deluded foreign fan base in the world. Come out into the sunshine, stop watching on ancient PC's, and actually watch some fucking football. It's totally pointless discussing football with you lot - you don't know what you're watching. Son was a liability, he backed off from their RB all the first half. It was so obvious Poch was going to hook him for Dembele. Kane looks tired and selfish, and Davies isn't a patch on Rose. Our players stopped passing to him in the 2nd half. Dele must have ran 3 million miles starting off at CM and then being pushed further up when Moose came on. To blame him is ridiculous. Son was the mistake - he gave the ball straight back whenever he got it. Hopeless.

Oh and you're right that the only way to see how players contribute is to see the game live and watch what happens away from the ball centred view that TV offers. However that only works if you know what you are looking at. Some people wouldn't be any wiser, judging by the comments on here.

Also personally, I feel if the game was at White Hart Lane we don't lose.

Pitch seems too big especially if we are not going to use it properly. I'm sure we will get used to it. We are going to have to.

Thoughts :

- Unlucky, they had 2 shots and scored, sadly that happens in football. We were the better team.
- Davies isn't a patch on Rose. Why he constantly showed Lemar inside I'll never know.
- Dembele showed how important he is to us. The quicker he's back in the team the better.
- We are a young team, many players having never played CL football before and a manager who's never managed in it. We'll be fine.
This. Rose provides some much width Davies just can't. It made our game unbalanced to the right wing.
And yes it's good to have the moose back looked class when he was on

This. Rose provides some much width Davies just can't. It made our game unbalanced to the right wing.
And yes it's good to have the moose back looked class when he was on

Didn't help that Son didn't track back. Lamela should have been used on the left if that was going to be the case or the very least we should have changed early on.

How good did that Lemar look though? We can only hope Nkoudou can replicate that for us.

Don't know why Dembele didn't start. If you're fit enough to come on then you should be fit enough to play at least an hour from the start.

Son and Lamela let the manager down last night, no fight or battle from either and they both messed up game changing moments.

Alli can't play centre mid in a 2, tries to cover too much and ends up leaving Dier exposed. The same happened in the summer for England.

Ground and atmosphere were good, it's just too big and acoustically bad to get chants going round the entire ground. Old Trafford suffers from this as well though.
Nice point about dele, I thought he looked good and kept popping up in space but that's because we basically play 4-1-4-1 leaving those behind with too much space to cover

Son, looked like his usual self, Lamela was also trying too hard and reverted to Lamela of old that required one too many touches. I agree regarding Kane, too often he would go for glory himself when there were other players in better positions. He clearly needs a bit of rest/bench to get some focus back. I'm not against the idea of Janssen starting a couple of matches. Glad to have Dembele back as he really holds our midfield together and is so much more controlled and calm. At least we didn't let them steam roller over us which could have happened. Sooner Rose comes back the better as he's a far better outlet down the left than Davies.

Thought we lacked a bit of directness when we needed a goal. Wonder if that is where Nkoudou and Sissoko fit into the plans for teams that are hard to break down.

WE'RE HISTORY MAKERS!!!

Not wishing to sound like 'Spurs Monthly Optimism' but it occurred to me walking up to the ground (and I mentioned it to Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor at the time) it's not every year you get to play at Wembley in any competition and 'have another go' if it doesn't go well...

The one-off nature of every Wembley match i've been to before is usually too much to bear, as you know that coming out of the ground afterwards, you've either WON (and have WON the Cup, or are at least through to the Final) or you lose, and you're the Runner-up, or are OUT... that's it. No second chance.

It wasn't the 'must win' of your normal Wembley match... that should've taken some of the pressure off... as we don't seem to have thrived at Wembley recently (a far cry from the old days... we were unbeaten there for 85 years!!!)

Perhaps that, and the glorious September Sunsheeeeyiiiine, took a bit too much pressure off everyone, and the players didn't feel the urgency of an 'all-or-nothing' match?

I'm looking forward to the next one at Wembley... but by then, that could be a must win!

Couple of points on the subs tonight- thought they all performed well. Dembele was as strong as ever some nice touches and there was a moment quite early into the second half when he received the ball surrounded by 3 Monaco players and manages to turn out of the tightest space and get his pace away! It was a thing of beauty. There were also 3/4 occasions when he just stepped in front of a Monaco players with the ball, got his body in between and then laid his pass to a white shirt! I really love this man!

Sissoko hasn't been mentioned much but I thought in the 10 mins he played he was fantastic running at defenders, taking men on and using the bursts of pace strength and energy he's known for! Looking forward to seeing more of him.

Jannsen was very good too, strong as an ox and held the ball up very well! Good chance set up for Kane too.

A quick word on Dele tonight! I thought he looked good, showed good physical strength at times barging big Monaco lads off the ball! Also showed some deft skill at times. Impressed me.

The negatives - Kane. Seemed unable/unwilling to run at defenders in a way we're used to - remember his goal at st Mary's last year? Kane isn't slow! He does look it at the minute. A lack of confidence seems clear. I'm not so sure the chance set up by VJ was a sitter, but equally he could have done better.

Lamela: while I accept a part of his game is to take risks and try tough passes to look for the killer ball, the mistake for the first goal was awful! In that area of the pitch, he can't do that! He lost the ball quite a lot and his running was quite slow and often into crowded defensive areas!

Eriksen... I dunno! What's up man? Invisible.

Overall we had good spells but they were clinical and finished very well. We need pace in the side and I do feel in Rose, Nkoudou, walker and Sissoko we have it, we just have to utilise it more.

A final point - proud of the 85K Yids who went! Could here you loud and proud from my Dublin living room and I felt the players suffered in the first 10-15 with the size is the crowd and prob the occasion of being back in the CL.

COYS

Still not sure how we didn't win that, they were very slick in parts and were more accomplished in managing what the held, but we were so much the better side despite a few of our own not being at the races. Davies just doesn't complement the system like Rose does in applying pressure both offensively and defensively. Their goal led a charmed life, evening before we saw that other lot escape with a draw we just did not have that luck. Dembele is a beast of a player so glad he's back. Still it was a great night, Wembley was sight to behold just loved how the YID army was out in force, no trouble or disturbance- we'll get them next time COYS!!

Thoughts :

It was unlucky that Vertonghen showed him inside? and the second was also shit defending/keeping.

Ha, whatever mate.

You spent time during the game multi quoting members posts to prove you were right when Spurs were losing? Who's the melt?
Not to prove I was right, to illustrate you shouldn't be an ignorant cunt putting down other teams when you know fuck all about them. We make fun of Liverpool fans for being deluded - this website & particularly comments like yours make us a similar laughing stock

Back
Top Bottom