Spurs vs Monaco - Glorious Return to Champions League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rested?

We have played 4 games ffs.

Dier featured for England at the Euros, though i doubt you could remember that far back. He played fifty one games last season the most of any Spurs players.

Why not just sell the other fuckers, and then when he picks up a serious injury through tiredness just fill in that role with Walker?

Fucks sake.

Atmosphere was OK but suffered from the bowl acoustics - too much space and echo meant that if you tried to join in a chant it felt like you were singing a couple of seconds out of time. Lovely stadium but not good for atmosphere creation.

We had the better of them for the majority and some of you act like we lost 7-0. Didn't play great and didn't convert our chances and I'm mad as hell, but the pessimism after every loss is moronic. We still have a good chance to get out of the group and still can make a run at the title and cups.

Maybe right but Kane doesn't look himself, would like to see Janssen for a few games then bring Kane back when the fire in his belly is back.

He won't get that fire back by sitting on the bench. He needs to be there and score one and then he will be back in amongst the goals. Same last season. Had 3-4 great chances and a cpl of sitters in my opinion. Last season he'd have buried at least 2 of those. Summer with England has done a job on him. Impact sub on Sunday I think

Was there alcohol available in all areas of the ground? The Club Wembley level had it which was a relief given I arrived too late for any pub. Good attempts at singing all around the ground, but it is just too big to create an intense in unison atmosphere. Wembley looks great but the views from too much of the ground are very distant,

Was there alcohol available in all areas of the ground? The Club Wembley level had it which was a relief given I arrived too late for any pub. Good attempts at singing all around the ground, but it is just too big to create an intense in unison atmosphere. Wembley looks great but the views from too much of the ground are very distant,
I feel that with 61k in the new stadium with the crowd much closer to the action will help with the atmosphere. Wembley has the design of modern libraries like the Emirates. Crowd came through well on TV though.

Dier featured for England at the Euros, though i doubt you could remember that far back. He played fifty one games last season the most of any Spurs players.

Why not just sell the other fuckers, and then when he picks up a serious injury through tiredness just fill in that role with Walker?

Fucks sake.

You are ranting. Walker? Ffs. What are you talking about? We have 3 maybe 4 players able to fill the role. We don't need to bring in a player who has never played there to fulfill your mad fantasy.

Dier is one of the best defensive midfielders in Europe. He is also very fit. Can you imagine any manager dropping their best defensive midfielders after four games to rest him?

You are an idiot.

Tough beat. Clearly the moment got to the players in the first half. Understandable being CL debut and a lot of young players in the fold. Learn from it and will be better prepared next go around. Obviously much smaller margin for error , but clearly have the talent in the Group to advance

Disappointed in JV on that first goal. Too
Much back tracking and the usual desperation dive. I know he isn't the quickest, but just feel his awareness of the situation seems to let him down far too frequently. Gotta close down at some point and no way can you give that clear lane to shoot. But yes Lamela's giveaway was most responsible on the goal. Oh well.

When I saw the Starting XI, I was excited to see how Dele and Dier play in the middle. Overall, I think they played okay, except the lack of physicality. I suppose that will only get better with time. Perhaps, they were exhausted from the match against Stoke. Jan seemed a bit off today as well.

Our offense just couldn't finish today. Lamela did not seem too threatening today compared to the last season's match against AS Monaco. Those guys really seemed to have prepared for this match, especially against Lamela. Didn't see much from Janssen either.

To AS Monaco's credit, they did a hell of job defending large areas. Players like Sonny can be a threat in one-on-one's and counters, but he is not the best when it comes to crossing. Most of the time today, he had two-three men on him and his passing targets were well-marked. He had no option but to pass back to Davis and others in the back. I think Poch made a wise decision to take Son out - perhaps to rest him for this weekend - at the half-time. I am sure Poch wanted more physical battles in the midfield by subbing Dembele in. For that matter, though, I think Sissoko could have come in a little bit earlier.

Well, now we know what to expect from Champions League. The fans were amazing today, setting some records at Wembley! We just need more passion from our players! On to the next game now! #COYS

Not sure why anyone is criticising Janssen, thought he played well and didn't disappear into the channels all night like Kane did, Kane should also have buried that chance Janssen set up for him.

You are ranting. Walker? Ffs. What are you talking about? We have 3 maybe 4 players able to fill the role. We don't need to bring in a player who has never played there to fulfill your mad fantasy.

Dier is one of the best defensive midfielders in Europe. He is also very fit. Can you imagine any manager dropping their best defensive midfielders after four games to rest him?

You are an idiot.

You wouldn't know sarcasm if it slapped you, and you called me the idiot.

First of all you say "We have 3 maybe 4 players able to fill the role" but in the next breathe you say "Can you imagine any manager dropping their best defensive midfielders after four games to rest him"?

You know nothing about squad rotation, player recovery time, or indeed susceptible player injuries due to fatigue. You'd be better off learning about the game of football before calling someone an idiot.

Now fuck off back to kindergarten you halfwit.

Not sure why anyone is criticising Janssen, thought he played well and didn't disappear into the channels all night like Kane did, Kane should also have buried that chance Janssen set up for him.
I agree with you. It was just that Janssen didn't have enough playing time (just about 20 minutes or so) to make something happen today. Perhaps, he will be given more time in the next match vs. Sunderland after today's performance.

I agree with you. It was just that Janssen didn't have enough playing time (just about 20 minutes or so) to make something happen today. Perhaps, he will be given more time in the next match vs. Sunderland after today's performance.

Honestly thought post the first 30 mins, we played well.
Our transition from the middle to final third was too slow though, to breakdown a well drilled defense. On another night we may have easily won that game. Given the other game in the group ended in a draw, we are still in with a great chance of progressing.
Onwards and upwards.

Ha ha. Spurs fans. Anyone watching on a stream, just fuck off. The most deluded foreign fan base in the world. Come out into the sunshine, stop watching on ancient PC's, and actually watch some fucking football. It's totally pointless discussing football with you lot - you don't know what you're watching. Son was a liability, he backed off from their RB all the first half. It was so obvious Poch was going to hook him for Dembele. Kane looks tired and selfish, and Davies isn't a patch on Rose. Our players stopped passing to him in the 2nd half. Dele must have ran 3 million miles starting off at CM and then being pushed further up when Moose came on. To blame him is ridiculous. Son was the mistake - he gave the ball straight back whenever he got it. Hopeless.

"Oh but he scored 2 goals" Bollocks, he's shit.

"Oh but he scored 2 goals" Bollocks, he's shit.
Against Stoke, both goals were first touch...bang..in. The one opportunity he had, very early in the game he needed to hit it first time, he took the touch and the opportunity passed. He needs to play on instinct not think about what he needs to do next. He was poor unfortunately - agree.

Back
Top Bottom