Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He seems to take the dynamic out of the team. I accept he's skilful, and I've mentioned his finishing - which is excellent - but we do look a more pedestrian outfit when he plays.

Yeah I'd agree, give a him a few yards on his marker and he'll instinctively cut back and square him up - it's frustrating I know but that's the way he plays. He's technical player, he can easily take on and beat a defender off either foot and thats rare these days if only he did it more during a game. When he had a run in the team prior to his fathers demise I felt he gave us, besides the goal threat, a certain amount of control on that left flank. He's by now means the finished article but I was hoping the best was yet to come, much like Lamela.

Wouldn't we have seen it by now? Do you think he's better than Poch realises? He's being sold because he's not good enough. We don't see him in training, so let's trust those that do.

You're right Joe, we have to trust Poch and those who know the player properly and we are in the great position now that we can rely on their judgement. I certainly don't think he is better than Poch realizes, I suspect that Poch thinks he is good but probably not good enough to help take us to the next level. Certainly when you consider all the other options Poch has to play with, including the new signings. I do think Chadli will seem better when he is playing for a club every game though. I think he will be an excellent signing for Swansea or whoever and could see him moving to a bigger club after a couple of years.

You're right Joe, we have to trust Poch and those who know the player properly and we are in the great position now that we can rely on their judgement. I certainly don't think he is better than Poch realizes, I suspect that Poch thinks he is good but probably not good enough to help take us to the next level. Certainly when you consider all the other options Poch has to play with, including the new signings. I do think Chadli will seem better when he is playing for a club every game though. I think he will be an excellent signing for Swansea or whoever and could see him moving to a bigger club after a couple of years.
Sorry if my post came over as a bit snappy lol. It wasn't meant to.

This was posted by superted4 on coys:

My mate was at the training ground friendly with Rotherham United today, he works for Rotherham. Said Edwards played well and when poch spoke to the Rotherham bench after the game said they were very excited about him.

Windy added: Apparently the first team squad are all raving about Edwards.

From windy on Coys:

Apparently Pritchard wants to leave but the club are holding out for a sizeable fee which is putting clubs off.

Wouldn't it be down to poch what club policy is for a large part? Club policy definitely seems like a managers job.

Wouldn't seem so to me. Then it by definition wouldn't be a club policy. But rather manager policy.

Again he'll have a say in club policy, but setting up a long term policy around the wants of the most volatile position within the vast majority of clubs, would defeat the purpose.

In any case, it's semantics and I'll freely admit, I have little reason to think, I know what's correct. You might be right, or I might be. Probably somewhere in between. I brought it up and you deflected to it, when it really came from a debate on youth contracts. And whether the club policy is set by McDermott, Mitchell, Poch or Levy, or most likely some combination among them, then the policy does seem to be not to hand golden contracts to youth too early.

This was posted by superted4 on coys:

My mate was at the training ground friendly with Rotherham United today, he works for Rotherham. Said Edwards played well and when poch spoke to the Rotherham bench after the game said they were very excited about him.

Windy added: Apparently the first team squad are all raving about Edwards.

From windy on Coys:

Apparently Pritchard wants to leave but the club are holding out for a sizeable fee which is putting clubs off.

have to say Edwards does look a remarkable player to watch, almost Messi like in his movement and control. Who knows his future but purely on eye view undoubtedly the most gifted youngster I have seen come out of our youth squads.

have to say Edwards does look a remarkable player to watch, almost Messi like in his movement and control. Who knows his future but purely on eye view undoubtedly the most gifted youngster I have seen come out of our youth squads.

He does look good indeed, looks like he can make things happen. Are we expecting him to make some appearances this season?

He does look good indeed, looks like he can make things happen. Are we expecting him to make some appearances this season?
Almost certainly will.

It's rumoured that he signed a new (youth) contract with a number of first team appearances as a stipulation.

There was ITK about this, with the unofficial Spurs Academy Twitter saying he'd agreed terms - and hey presto, immediately after we get photos of Edwards training with the first team, wearing the number 75.

Wouldn't seem so to me. Then it by definition wouldn't be a club policy. But rather manager policy.

Again he'll have a say in club policy, but setting up a long term policy around the wants of the most volatile position within the vast majority of clubs, would defeat the purpose.

In any case, it's semantics and I'll freely admit, I have little reason to think, I know what's correct. You might be right, or I might be. Probably somewhere in between. I brought it up and you deflected to it, when it really came from a debate on youth contracts. And whether the club policy is set by McDermott, Mitchell, Poch or Levy, or most likely some combination among them, then the policy does seem to be not to hand golden contracts to youth too early.

The oracle has spoken! Stand aside idiot Spurs fans!

I believe we reached a stage where we could co-exist quite happily on here, but you're now coming across as a bore and a self appointed 'expert'. You're another cold blooded Scandinavian, haughtily talking down to the masses. What have you been right about to justify your arrogance?

Supposedly interested in Max Meyer form Schalke

I really wanted him before. Suggested it earlier, and really rated him as potentially better than Draxler or Götze. But then I saw what a total fucking fat mess he is.

4557679_1_sport-schalke_dpa_1488B4005DB081E4.jpg

Think we missed a trick not pursuing georginio wijnaldum, he proved last season that he can mix it in the premier league. We should be pushing on this summer, as a lot of teams will be after us. Tinkering with unknown quantities from ligue 1 does not fill me with confidence. I know that money is tight at the moment due to the new stadium construction, but we must push on and be bold!!! Our bench still needs a lot of improvement, that was our main weakness last season, a lack of dynamism!!!

Think we missed a trick not pursuing georginio wijnaldum, he proved last season that he can mix it in the premier league. We should be pushing on this summer, as a lot of teams will be after us. Tinkering with unknown quantities from ligue 1 does not fill me with confidence. I know that money is tight at the moment due to the new stadium construction, but we must push on and be bold!!! Our bench still needs a lot of improvement, that was our main weakness last season, a lack of dynamism!!!
Yea totally...
And he's fat

you'd be crazy to think we wouldn't pay them the right wage to keep them.

We won't though. That's the rules.

The club has a strict set of guide lines when it comes to youth players breaking through and is one of the reasons why Marcus Edwards wants to leave us - we won't give him a huge wage, yet Chelsea are reportedly willing to offer him £50k a week. We want to teach youth players humility and make sure they have a strong mind and usually giving a youngster even £20k a week damages them. How many youth players have we seen get paid millions a year, only to think they've made it and flop?

The club won't change their rules and "philosophy" on the basis of one player, even one called "messi with an Afro". Just because you're good enough does not guarantee starts or even a high wage at Tottenham, it's very much about the mind set of the player and fairness to his peers at this point.

Edit - Poch doesn't decide the wages of the players and no youth player would be given £20k a week. Even Alli is only on £30k a week and it took Kane a few years to get above even £50k a week. Onomah, Luke Mcgee, Kyle Walker Peters all currently get £5k a week at the moment. There are rare exceptions (CCV gets £10k a week, Winks does too) but it's all very structured.

Last edited:
i would only sell Chadli if we bought a better player than he is, not another prospect like Nkoudou.

I don't think people realise how hard it is to actually replace the amount of goals Chadli gives you. In terms of playing style? Sure you can find someone who plays better and maybe makes more chances. But raw output? Not likely.

Despite how much the poster who said he's worth £30m gets mocked, it's tough to find an AM who can offer 15~ goals a year for less than that.

I'd imagine we'll get at least £20mil after add ons.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom