Wilfried Bony

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Swansea are much better than Newcastle back then - stop making it sound like he's playing for Tranmere Rovers

In Demba Ba's highest scoring season for Newcastle they finished in the top six and exactly the same applies to Papiss Cisse, now remind me where Swansea are in the league and then have a think about whether you really want to continue saying that this season's Swansea are better than Newcastle were back then.

In Demba Ba's highest scoring season for Newcastle they finished in the top six and exactly the same applies to Papiss Cisse, now remind me where Swansea are in the league and then have a think about whether you really want to continue saying that this season's Swansea are better than Newcastle were back then.
Squad quality does not directly relate to log position. Bony has quality players around him, most of which are no less on par with the Newcastle ones of back then bar perhaps Ben-Arfa who was quality that season. Again - stop making ti sound like Bony is playing with pub players - look at their respective squads

All this talk of Demba Ba, well he's not a bad player, just Chelsea have ruined him like they did Scott Parker and the million other players they have on the bench after spending stupid amounts of money on them. At the moment I would take a striker who scores 15 goals a year, a massive improvement on Soldado at the very least, Bony however could get 20+ goals a season for us.

Leby's ambition for our team will become clear in the summer, if he signs Lukaku or Bony and get a good manager then the future could be bright. If he gets Welbeck, Moyes and fellaini then we know where its going.

Squad quality does not directly relate to log position. Bony has quality players around him, most of which are no less on par with the Newcastle ones of back then bar perhaps Ben-Arfa who was quality that season. Again - stop making ti sound like Bony is playing with pub players - look at their respective squads

1) It is a league table, not a log.
2) Of course squad quality affects where you finish in the table to state otherwise is ludicrous. There may be the odd anomaly but more often than not the best teams finish higher up the table.
3) Newcastle had a lot more quality in their side than Swansea do currently. Cabaye was and still is top class, Ben Arfa was on fire at this point and Tiote was in immense form as well. When you have three midfielders performing to that level behind you, it is always going to make it easier to score goals.
4) Swansea in actual fact do not have a particularly good squad, De Guzman is a decent player and nothing more, Michu has been injured all season so he can be ruled out other than that in an attacking sense there is not a whole lot to write home about. The rest of their midfield is rank average, the likes of Routledge, Canas and Hernandez.

Picking a combined midfield out of the two squads would look something like this:

Ben Arfa Cabaye Tiote De Guzman

1) It is a league table, not a log.
2) Of course squad quality affects where you finish in the table to state otherwise is ludicrous. There may be the odd anomaly but more often than not the best teams finish higher up the table.
3) Newcastle had a lot more quality in their side than Swansea do currently. Cabaye was and still is top class, Ben Arfa was on fire at this point and Tiote was in immense form as well. When you have three midfielders performing to that level behind you, it is always going to make it easier to score goals.
So why did the same (and stronger) Newcastle squad fnish 16th the following season and barely avoided relegation - log position is not always directly related to squad quality. Can't believe we're even arguing this.

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time keeping up on when this board considers Bony class, and when everyone is saying "see, I told you he was pony."

At the moment I would take a striker who scores 15 goals a year, a massive improvement on Soldado at the very least, Bony however could get 20+ goals a season for us.

Soldado is historically a goal every two games man in nearly every season since 2006, and yet suddenly he's rubbish? Unless someone comes along and offers us in the region of £20m for him then I think it would be incredibly unwise to relegate him to 'rubbish striker' status based on one season in England. Until we know who the new manager is (assuming there is one) then it's very hard to say whether Soldado will come good, but I think it's fair to say that to get the best out of him you need a team capable of effective counter attacking and wing play.

Soldado is historically a goal every two games man in nearly every season since 2006, and yet suddenly he's rubbish? Unless someone comes along and offers us in the region of £20m for him then I think it would be incredibly unwise to relegate him to 'rubbish striker' status based on one season in England. Until we know who the new manager is (assuming there is one) then it's very hard to say whether Soldado will come good, but I think it's fair to say that to get the best out of him you need a team capable of effective counter attacking and wing play.

Yes but he was also know as a player who needs four chances to score I remember reading in a Spanish column about him, don't know if that's true or not. If it is then he is an Andy cole type player, I am not sure we will ever give him that kind of service unfortunately. He also seems completely lost in the physical nature of our game, maybe an off season in the gym might help.

Bony and lukaku are strong players who can often make chances themselves and have proven prem ability, without a fluid middle they are the types of guys we need, I hope to be proved wrong but I am really not hopefully about him.

I think he is a pretty good player, impressive first season in an under-performing Swansea side. He has shown a lot of attributes which make me think he could become a good striker.

Issue is, he isn't that different to what we have. Ade, Kane (even Soldado to a small extent) fit that 'target men' mould, where all their strengths are leading the line and being a body to aim for in the box.

I would quite like us to get a striker different to what we have, in the Aguero/Tevez/Suarez (obviously not as good as those guys) format. Where they play much more as a 'creative' type striker, running channels and coming deeper to create. Even Lukaku fits this bill.

At Spurs - the difference between rubbish and world-class is generally 2 games.

This is the best thing you've ever written

It would be idiotic to get rid of Soldado. The only difference between him and the rest of the squad is that strikers effectiveness can be tangibly measured by goals.

If you could measure the rest of the team via some black and white statistic such as goals they would all be woefully underperforming. Only Eriksen and Adebayor can come out of this season with much credit. I would be suprised if after the team as a whole started playing better under a new manager we didn't see a better return from Soldado.

Saying we need a new striker because we don't have enough goals is too simplistic, the real issue lies in getting the ball from back to front where a striker can actually do something with it

Last edited:
I would quite like us to get a striker different to what we have, in the Aguero/Tevez/Suarez (obviously not as good as those guys) format.

I was certainly suprised when I saw we'd gone after Soldado because we really, really needed a player along those lines. They don't need to be a superstar big money signing either, Craig Bellamy was a great example of this kind of player for most of his career. When it became clear that AVB was employing a compressed game tactic then it's imperative that you have players that could take on defenders and create their own chances when no space was available to pass (or cross) around the opponents area.

Hulk is still tearing it up in the Russian league - top scorer there this season. Wages still most likely a problem but he'd be superb at Spurs. Who knows, maybe Lamela could become this kind of player if he bulks up a-la-Ronaldo.

Back
Top Bottom