Why it’s time for Winks to replace Dembele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

n3RGs0O.gif

The article is pretty reasonable, because there is no real alternative right now other than Winks if Dembele can't stay healthy. The title makes the whole thing sound ridiculous though.

Dembele is 29 and with his injury history we may never see him regularly at his peak again. Winks isn't quite ready to be the main guy every week, but definitely can understudy for the role this year, and grow into it over time. Might not be a perfect transition, but it will still be something exciting to see.

Difficult, Moose is amazing but we simply can't rely on him. I am not in favour of putting Moose out when he is 100% as we need to win games but anything below 90% fit I would consider using Winks.

Dembele is unfortunately a luxury, as such we need to handle him with kid gloves and make sure he is ready for big games.

I do like using Winks in a sub capacity as well, he is very clever on the ball and towards the end of games is a good player to have on if we want to retain possession.

Difficult, Moose is amazing but we simply can't rely on him. I am not in favour of putting Moose out when he is 100% as we need to win games but anything below 90% fit I would consider using Winks.

Dembele is unfortunately a luxury, as such we need to handle him with kid gloves and make sure he is ready for big games.

I do like using Winks in a sub capacity as well, he is very clever on the ball and towards the end of games is a good player to have on if we want to retain possession.
Our PPG when Dembele plays is the reason why a fit Moose should always be one of the first names on the team sheet. Winks may well be the future, but he needs intergating slowly & steadily. No need to rush these things. For the present, Dembele plays (when fit) imo.

Our PPG when Dembele plays is the reason why a fit Moose should always be one of the first names on the team sheet. Winks may well be the future, but he needs intergating slowly & steadily. No need to rush these things. For the present, Dembele plays (when fit) imo.

My point is that Dembele isn't fit. Not fully. And that's why we're struggling this season.

Quite frankly, Winks hasn't grown into his body enough yet to seriously compete for Dembele's spot.
Needs to work on his upper body strength and focus on his defensive game.
When we see him start bossing midfield against lower-half of the table clubs, then we can start talking about him being a legitimate replacement for Dembele.

My point is that Dembele isn't fit. Not fully. And that's why we're struggling this season.
But...he only gets fully fit by playing matches competitively? He wasn't available for 6 games at the start, so he's playing catch up at present. I don't suggest that he plays every minute of every game, but a 100% Winks isn't yet up to the standard of Dembele- even a slightly below par Dembele. I take your point, but do you think we would struggle any less with Winks being thrown in at the deep end?

We are struggling for a number of reasons this season as your article notes. I don't think Dembele of last year would hold the team together week in, week out, when we have been without a host of definite first team members.
Toby- big miss
Harry- big miss
Lamela- big miss
Rose/Davies (last weekend)- big miss.

When we can field a full strength team, I think you will see the real Dembele again. And that is the time to start bringing Winks into games as a second half sub.

Dembele isn't immune to criticism, & Poch won't allow him to be a passenger in our team.

If he can find his way back into pochs good books would be interesting to see how sissoko could play in a more central midfield role. I know what we have seen so far has not been great but surely playing central as opposed to on the wing would bring the best out in him..... that's if it's not to late!! :pochunimpressed:

I don't think Dembele of last year would hold the team together week in, week out, when we have been without a host of definite first team members.

I do. I really do. While missing Harry and/or Toby does some harm I'd put our general dip in quality almost entirely to Dembele. And I don't think him regaining fitness is simply a matter of game time. He should be there by now. I think he has some kind of hip related fitness issue he needs to go away deal with away from the team.

Watch the Woolwich game over again and tell me that Dembele should be replaced. He was pretty mediocre by his standards against Chelsea but we are not a better side without him.

Watch the Woolwich game over again and tell me that Dembele should be replaced. He was pretty mediocre by his standards against Chelsea but we are not a better side without him.

Dembele was very good v Woolwich because he was playing in front of Wanyama and a back 3.

Freed from the majority of his defensive tasks he was able to concentrate his game on press resistance and bringing the ball forward so he shone.

But I don't think that shape works in other games. I think Poch deems it to be too defensive for teams that don't come at us which is why we haven't seen it again.

Back
Top Bottom