Why it’s time for Winks to replace Dembele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've always thought Onumah had a more similar skill set to Dembele and thus would be a better alternative

Josh is definitely the most similar to Dembele:

But I also think he's reliant on the physical advantage that he has at youth level and that he can't replicate that at senior level. Until Onomah can either bulk up and pray for a growth spurt or maybe redevelop his playstyle he's going to struggle in a first team setting. Especially when he gets played out on the right.

Last edited:
Dembele was very good v Woolwich because he was playing in front of Wanyama and a back 3.

Freed from the majority of his defensive tasks he was able to concentrate his game on press resistance and bringing the ball forward so he shone.

But I don't think that shape works in other games. I think Poch deems it to be too defensive for teams that don't come at us which is why we haven't seen it again.

I'm not quite sure you can put it down to him being good because he was freed of defensive tasks. He was one of our best players last season playing CDM in a 4-2-3-1.

I think the "problem" with Dembele at the minute is fitness. He has proven time and time again that he struggles to play more than once in a week. Probably the only positive of being knocked out of the CL is that he will return to playing only once a week. This will hopefully mean he gets to a peak fitness level.

I do. I really do. While missing Harry and/or Toby does some harm I'd put our general dip in quality almost entirely to Dembele. And I don't think him regaining fitness is simply a matter of game time. He should be there by now. I think he has some kind of hip related fitness issue he needs to go away deal with away from the team.
Each to their own. But if you think that Winks will solve the Dembele dilemma by replacing him, then we will have to agree to disagree. He should compliment the Moose & play when the manager thinks Moose is either unfit or being out performed consistently.

Like the kid, but... c'mon.

What we need is Alderweireld + Lamela back, and everyone playing in the roles that they were last season, not chopped and changed around.

Sissoko to replace dembele
tumblr_mbg89rvzuF1r4r8uqo1_400.gif

This article reminds me of WindyCOYS WindyCOYS article about Mason being the most important player in our team. The content is better although he doesn't have Windy's language skill. Still, let's hope he is not as bad as Windy is at spotting a player, even if he knows nothing about the game

Our AMs are simply not good enough for us to consistently beat others without Dembele providing his magic touch: His ability to ease past a layer of pressure, quickly turning a situation from us being under pressure to the opponents finding themselves exposed. We need Dembele. Winks, although I like him, does not come close to bringing anything of that importance to our game. He doesn't possess neither the offensive nor the defensive qualities of the world's most underestimated player.

If he can find his way back into pochs good books would be interesting to see how sissoko could play in a more central midfield role. I know what we have seen so far has not been great but surely playing central as opposed to on the wing would bring the best out in him..... that's if it's not to late!! :pochunimpressed:
You're right, fatty. I think the last chance for Sissoko is as a central midfield powerhouse. I know we also have Wanyama and Dier but using Sissoko in central midfield with defensive pairing might bring out his Euros form. When I watched him in the Euros he struck me as occupying a marauding box to box role and was a completely different player to the lump of shit turning out in a Newcastle jersey.

Perhaps we're desperately optimistic though...

Josh is definitely the most similar to Dembele:

But I also think he's reliant on the physical advantage that he has at youth level and that he can't replicate that at senior level. Until Onomah can either bulk up and pray for a growth spurt or maybe redevelop his playstyle he's going to struggle in a first team setting. Especially when he gets played out on the right.

Onomah isn't up to top flight standard. I'd move him on

Dembele is damaged and that's unfortunate, cant see him becoming a 2 game a week player anymore. That being said, if he is at 90 %, he still bosses a whole midfield almost on his own. His pressing game, the number of recuperations, his positional awareness (often underestimated) and the fact that when he has the ball it's almost a lost cause to get it back make it almost impossible for young Harry to replace him. Even if Dembele has a poor game attacking wise, he still offers so much stability and risk management to a team under pressure.

And do you really think that would benefit from having the pressure of having to be the missing link in our midfield, in a role where he is required to break up attacks, battle with the most powerful midfielders in the world, create a safe outlet in possession and get us out of tight situations with skill and power combined ? Ease him in, put him next to Moose when the occasion is there and let him develop the phyisical side of his game and we'll see what happens next.

John McGinn is the perfect understudy to Dembele. Very similar attributes but we need to bring him to the Lane before his raw talent is eroded by the unfortunately lower standard of the Scottish game (case in point: Barry Ferguson, who, as a youngster, was so good Rangers let an outstanding Gattuso go to make space for him, but who became a stale and predictable central midfielder).

Got to admit the thought of Onomah replacing Dembele nearly made me do a real-life spurting my coffee everywhere.

I don't think he's going to be having a significant growth spurt now he's 19, or do kids hit puberty a lot later these days?

Dembele is not the sole barometer of our current form, despite how important he can be on his day. Winks remains an unknown quantity and needs time and games to show he has what it takes. Unless you are part of the medical staff you don't know whether or not Dembele is still struggling with injury or simply fighting to regain his form from last year and get used to our various injury changes. The article is nonsense because it relies too heavily on assumption.

You're right, fatty. I think the last chance for Sissoko is as a central midfield powerhouse. I know we also have Wanyama and Dier but using Sissoko in central midfield with defensive pairing might bring out his Euros form. When I watched him in the Euros he struck me as occupying a marauding box to box role and was a completely different player to the lump of shit turning out in a Newcastle jersey.

Perhaps we're desperately optimistic though...

slightly optimistic I know, but like you said he looked his best in central midfield at the euros, which makes his signing even more bizarre being as we signed wanyama as well, :pochsulk:
would be nice to at least see him given a chance in his favoured position, but I'm guessing if he doesn't make at least the bench for Swansea he will be shipped out in January! :pochfacepalm:

Props for the 'talkSPORT' title - text book, entry level trolling - looks like you got half the forum lining up to pay 50p a minute!!

A bit early to be that harsh, I think.
I don't think he has shown the requisite talent. Physical development won't make enough of a difference in my view.

Where he could improve is in the mental side of his game. He has always struck me as timid when he gets a chance in the first team. If he can attend to that and play with confidence then perhaps he'll surprise me.

Back
Top Bottom