Wearing replica shirts

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Flav

The Fighting Cock
I understand loads of football fans love the replica; but I always wonder why they choose to wear one over a scarf or a pin or no colours at all to games. I have never been compelled to buy a Spurs shirt, and only owned one as an adult when it was bought for me.

Can someone help me understand? What do you feel when you pull it on over your head? Is it a financial thing, by way of further supporting the club? Or is a collecting thing in that you must own every home shirt etc?

I buy shirts I like with players that I feel at that time are 'special' - eg Klinsmann, Davids, van der Vaart, Bale.

Will occasionally wear a replica shirt to a home game but never away, scarves are for cup finals imo.

There is far less replica stuff at our games than the Scum though - literally every single one of them feels compelled to wear something.......even 80 year old women, that's just weird to me.

I'm sure everyone's answer is different. I buy replica shirts when they're cheap (end of season) and flash. I wear them almost exclusively when watching or when actually playing. I used to wear them a bit going out, etc. (10 years ago), but not anymore.

So I save them for match days (sometimes even if at home watching on TV), where they complement a scarf (if going out). I have a few badges, but have yet to wear them.

OTOH, the scarf (I have three different ones now) I wear whenever it's at all cold--game day or no. I don't own a regular scarf— only Spurs.

I rarely buy shirts though I do like them. I rarely gef to games but would at least wear colours if some sort when going or a scarf. I honestly prefer retro kits with no sponsors on them. I don't feel anything in particular when putting one on, it's just an item of clothing I like.

I've got three shirts, all we're bought for me as gifts. I wear them round the flat, don't tend to wear them outside any more. I still wear a scarf to a game if and when it's cold enough.

Don't own any spurs kits from the last few seasons. Last one I had was the really simple puma/mansion one from about 4 or 5 back. Never really like wearing kits when I'm out and about, just have them for playing football.

i love the new third kit... i always get together with a few mates to wear it.

we go around changing people's tires, breaks, exhausts - sometimes they don't even need changing, but we do it any way to make money...;)

tottenham-hotspur-third-shirt-2012-13.jpg

I own 4-5 Spurs shirts, I don't wear they to games, or if I do it's under a jumper or coat.
I lounge around in them or wear them playing 5-a-side, I buy scarfs from European nights and I get the group stage badges (although I plan to collect them sell them off)

I normally get one if I like it, don't really like the current offerings, agree with Tucker about the Retro shirts though. The shirt on the left is the first one I got where you didn't have to buy the cockerel separately and sew it on yourself. I normally buy stuff for the kids and when a live game is on we all sit there in our kits. Used to wear mine down the pub, but those days are few and far between these days. I don't agree with people who think that it looks weird for a man of a certain age to wear a football shirt in the street, although I did once see a grown man in a supermarket wearing the full Norwich City strip, socks an all, that did look weird.
:avbshit:

I'd never really thought about it before, but seeing as you've asked, it's dawned on me that I haven't bought a shirt since I stopped playing football.

Considering I only wear my shirt at the Lane or when playing myself, and currently I manage to do neither, I seldom wear my shirts anymore. :(

Had the one in my avatar and also the 'scrambled egg' affair of a similar era... Had a few others down the years (Hummel, Kappa...) but none recently though.

Only generally wear them for 5-a-side. Don't wear them 'out', that's for scousers and mancs.

i love the new third kit... i always get together with a few mates to wear it.

we go around changing people's tires, breaks, exhausts - sometimes they don't even need changing, but we do it any way to make money...;)

tottenham-hotspur-third-shirt-2012-13.jpg

I actually quite like the 'Evil Blackburn' kit, it's like something from a cartoon.

Haven't bought a shirt for 8 years or so I reckon. Been that long since I wore one. Use to just wear them underneath a coat or jumper, never on display. Good luck thing.

I only wear replica shirts when I'm playing football - isn't that what football shirts are for? Likewise, I only wear a Spurs scarf when It's cold.

I try to buy a Spurs home shirt every season in order to build a collection up. But I don't buy them when they are released, as they are an absolute rip off. I buy them at the end of the season or the season after (e.g. I bought last season's home shirt in short sleeve for £15 online in a sale).

I tend to buy a home shirt every season, I often wear em when actually playing football, but will also wear them on match days, at home or around the place. I suppose I like to show my colours because trust me there's more than enough United, Chelsea and Woolwich shit around the place.

Bought last seasons shirt because it was only £15, I'm not going to lie the only reason I bought it was because they're so comfortable.

Don't wear it outside the house because I don't think a grown bloke should really be strolling round with a football shirt on.

I used to buy one every season. Then I stopped for a while until last year, when I got the third kit towards the end of the year. This year, however, I have home and away. I only wear the current shirts to games and older ones around the house. I used to also wear the older gear for gym and/or playing football. I don't wear shirts to watch games in pubs (unless it is a cup final).

I also have a Spurs scarf, which is what I used in place of a shirt for a good few years.

For me wearing the shirt is the same as a scarf. It's about the colours and the cockerel. I feel a sense of identity and belonging when I put the shirt on for a game. When I'm in the stands and I wearing the same colours as my team I feel like I am helping to be the 12th man. Cheering them on by way of appearance as well as by sound.

Collecting thing for me. This year's kit is a nice one to wear privately as well. Also, it is definitely a way of signalling other fans that: "Fuck off, I'm Spurs" and I wear it with pride whenever we play.

Love the shirt, you know?

Back
Top Bottom