We are Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
Perhaps in the aftermath of losing at the Ethidad for the fourth successive time, it’s time to take stock and think about what it is each of us looks for in our team. Pete makes his début and discusses what is glorious about Spurs for him.

Read article

Last edited by a moderator:
Going back to the phrase ‘The Game is about Glory’ I think personally for me, it isn’t about being in the Premier League, finishing 4th or even winning silverware. It’s about having a group of players, staff and fans who understand what it means to be a part of this massive community, wearing the shirt with passion, representing even when things are bad, playing every game like its a cup final and playing like its the last game you ever have. That for me is glorious

Agreed. The Premier League is like the 'Emperors new clothes' for me. Football fans are buying the whole 'best league in the world' bolloxs at the expense of ticket prices, Sky subscriptions & the death of atmosphere at almost all grounds.

I like the analogy that can be used when opposition support try and insult us by the 'chicken' as they call it, as our badge.

While a fighting cock and more lethal it is still a far inferior fighting force then the lions, dragons, etc of many of our rivals. I believe it epitomises how we should view Spurs. The fighting cock is likely to lose a fight with a dragon or a lion but it is stubborn, in would not back away from the fight. The odds would be stacked against the poultry in this hypothetical fight but its 'you want some, I'll give it ya' attitude is glorious, it is what makes it great to be Spurs. We should enjoy being the underdog, it is an integral part of our club, we should go down fighting.

Really we should be Honeybadgers!

The Honey badger or ratel is a tenacious small carnivore that has a reputation for being, pound for pound, Africa's most fearless animal despite its small size. It is even listed as the "most fearless animal in the world" in the Guinness Book of Records.

Really we should be Honeybadgers!

The Honey badger or ratel is a tenacious small carnivore that has a reputation for being, pound for pound, Africa's most fearless animal despite its small size. It is even listed as the "most fearless animal in the world" in the Guinness Book of Records.
Only once we're steam rolling all teams but relying solely on Paulinho who will score 4 a game.

I like the analogy that can be used when opposition support try and insult us by the 'chicken' as they call it, as our badge.

While a fighting cock and more lethal it is still a far inferior fighting force then the lions, dragons, etc of many of our rivals. I believe it epitomises how we should view Spurs. The fighting cock is likely to lose a fight with a dragon or a lion but it is stubborn, in would not back away from the fight. The odds would be stacked against the poultry in this hypothetical fight but its 'you want some, I'll give it ya' attitude is glorious, it is what makes it great to be Spurs. We should enjoy being the underdog, it is an integral part of our club, we should go down fighting.
If you've even seen one in action, a fighting cock indeed will go down swinging, and usually to the death. It will take a long time for us to build that mentality after the emotional and physical damage and turnover of the past few years, but it will come. A little bit of patience, faith and non-knee-jerkery to every slightest thing would go a long way.

It also helps to know what you're cheering for, and why. Each fans relationship with Spurs is personal, and their definition of "Spurs" is likewise. Respecting differing choices as not threatening your own and enjoying the common ground, rather than feuding over personal dogma would go a long way to making things a bit happier around here and elsewhere.

If you've even seen one in action, a fighting cock indeed will go down swinging, and usually to the death. It will take a long time for us to build that mentality after the emotional and physical damage and turnover of the past few years, but it will come. A little bit of patience, faith and non-knee-jerkery to every slightest thing would go a long way.

It also helps to know what you're cheering for, and why. Each fans relationship with Spurs is personal, and their definition of "Spurs" is likewise. Respecting differing choices as not threatening your own and enjoying the common ground, rather than feuding over personal dogma would go a long way to making things a bit happier around here and elsewhere.
Well I don't know about you but I am exhausted of managerial changes and even personal changes. I would happily (with the exception of another striker due to Ade and Bobby's age) not sign anyone for another 4 years if it meant we also didn't sell, same with the manager.

THIS is Tottenham to me
the-1972-team-with-the-uefa-cup-5540155.jpg

Well I don't know about you but I am exhausted of managerial changes and even personal changes. I would happily (with the exception of another striker due to Ade and Bobby's age) not sign anyone for another 4 years if it meant we also didn't sell, same with the manager.

Buying and selling players is just a part of sports. It's going to happen. Now, I'm very willing to bet that we are the only professional sports team that despite being in the top quarter of the league consistently sacks our managers. By any standard, that is ludicrous.

THIS is Tottenham to me
the-1972-team-with-the-uefa-cup-5540155.jpg
I love everything about that photo.The players,The kit, Pat Jennings, the sideburns, the kit,proper manly shorts, training ground at Cheshunt ,the kit,the fact they resemble a pub team,Alan Gilzean looking like ya gran dad, the trophies,the kit,Terry Naylor,no plucked eye brows,that come and ave a go if you think your hard enough look, John Pratt..And did i mention the kit?
Superb

Buying and selling players is just a part of sports. It's going to happen. Now, I'm very willing to bet that we are the only professional sports team that despite being in the top quarter of the league consistently sacks our managers. By any standard, that is ludicrous.
As long as you don't look at other leagues like the Bundesliga, Serie A or La Liga, you might be right. They have a lot more turnover than England, but Fergie reign at Utd and Wenger at Woolwich have distorted our impressions.

Last edited:
Do you remember the halcyon Redknapp days, when our team preformed well, Redknapp knew how to manage a team and for 3 seasons and our turnover of players were small.

Of the team in 09/10 I felt we (the fanbase) had a stronger bond to our players.

09/10--------------------------------->14/15
Gomes - 6 years--------------->Lloris - 2 years
Bale - 6 years-------------> Vorm - 0 years
Kaboul - 5 years------------->Kaboul - 5 years
Bentley - 5 years ------------->Friedel - 3 years
Huddlestone - 8 years------>Vertonghen - 2 years
Lennon - 9 years------------->Lennon - 9 years
Jenas - 8 years------------->Chiriches - 1 year
Pavlyuchenko - 4 years--->Dier - 0 years
Palacios - 3 years---------- >Fazio - 0 years
Modric - 4 years-------------> Lamela - 1 year
Walker - 5 years-------------> Walker - 5 years
Crouch - 2 years-------------> Naughton - 5 years
Defoe - 9 years-------------> Davies - 0 years
Bassong - 3 years------------->Stamboul - 0 years
Dawson - 9 years-------------> Capoue - 1 year
Kranjcar - 3 years------------->Paulinho - 1 year
Corluka - 4 years------------->Dembele - 2 years
Cudicini - 3 years-------------> Bentaleb - 2 years
Rose - 7 years-------------> Rose - 7 years
King - 16 years------------->Eriksen - 1 year
Assou Ekotto - 8 years --->Mason - 6 years
Woodgate - 3 years--------> Townsend - 14 years
Keane - 9 years------------> Soldado - 1 year
--------------------------------------> Adebayor - 3 years
--------------------------------------> Kane - 5 years
--------------------------------------> Chadli 1 year
Total:
09/10= 139 years
14/15 = 77 years (Obviously this could increase over time, but even last summer people were (some still are) calling for Ade, Soldado, Lamela, Paulinho, Capoue, Chiriches, Chadli, Lennon to go)
If you do it on averages it becomes even starker
09/10 = 6.04 years per player
14/15 = 2.96 years per player

My point is that I feel less connected to the players which changes the feeling of going to WHL.

Last edited:
Do you remember the halcyon Redknapp days, when our team preformed well, Redknapp knew how to manage a team and for 3 seasons and our turnover of players were small.

Of the team in 09/10 I felt we (the fanbase) had a stronger bond to our players.

09/10--------------------------------->14/15
Gomes - 6 years--------------->Lloris - 2 years
Bale - 6 years-------------> Vorm - 0 years
Kaboul - 5 years------------->Kaboul - 5 years
Bentley - 5 years ------------->Friedel - 3 years
Huddlestone - 8 years------>Vertonghen - 2 years
Lennon - 9 years------------->Lennon - 9 years
Jenas - 8 years------------->Chiriches - 1 year
Pavlyuchenko - 4 years--->Dier - 0 years
Palacios - 3 years---------- >Fazio - 0 years
Modric - 4 years-------------> Lamela - 1 year
Walker - 5 years-------------> Walker - 5 years
Crouch - 2 years-------------> Naughton - 5 years
Defoe - 9 years-------------> Davies - 0 years
Bassong - 3 years------------->Stamboul - 0 years
Dawson - 9 years-------------> Capoue - 1 year
Kranjcar - 3 years------------->Paulinho - 1 year
Corluka - 4 years------------->Dembele - 2 years
Cudicini - 3 years-------------> Bentaleb - 2 years
Rose - 7 years-------------> Rose - 7 years
King - 16 years------------->Eriksen - 1 year
Assou Ekotto - 8 years --->Mason - 6 years
Woodgate - 3 years--------> Townsend - 14 years
--------------------------------------> Soldado - 1 year
--------------------------------------> Adebayor - 3 years
--------------------------------------> Kane - 5 years
--------------------------------------> Chadli 1 year
Total:
09/10= 130 years
14/15 = 77 years (Obviously this could increase over time, but even last summer people were (some still are) calling for Ade, Soldado, Lamela, Paulinho, Capoue, Chiriches, Chadli, Lennon to go)
If you do it on averages it becomes even starker
09/10 = 5.9 years per player
14/15 = 2.96 years per player

My point is that I feel less connected to the players which changes the feeling of going to WHL.

This is where I imagine that growing up in the United States and watching collegiate sports skews my opinion. I'm used to quick turnover of players. It doesn't affect my love for the team.

How often to Real Madrid change their manager?

Outside of Man Utd with Fergie, Woolwich with Wenger and Everton with Moyes I doubt we have a worse turnover than the average. And even Man Utd, famed for sticking with Fergie for so long, dumped Moyes after less than a year.

Anyone fancy putting some stats together on this? I'd be interested to see if my gut feeling is right, that we don't sack managers more frequently that the average.

This is where I imagine that growing up in the United States and watching collegiate sports skews my opinion. I'm used to quick turnover of players. It doesn't affect my love for the team.
But I hope you can see my point, we had a fair few players who started at other clubs but remained at WHL for years. Now if we take out the homegrown/academy bunch the total for our current squad diminishes to a combined squad total of just 43 years. Now I don't even know what half the guys sound like when they speak.

Just for reference, here are our "recent" managers.

1998 George Graham
2001 Glenn Hoddle
2004 Jacques Santini
2004 Martin Jol
2007 Juande Ramos
2008 Harry Redknapp
2012 André Villas-Boas
2013 Tim Sherwood
2014 Mauricio Pochettino

Seems "most" managers get three years. Santini quit, so discount him, the exceptions are Ramos and AVB.

How often to Real Madrid change their manager?

Outside of Man Utd with Fergie, Woolwich with Wenger and Everton with Moyes I doubt we have a worse turnover than the average. And even Man Utd, famed for sticking with Fergie for so long, dumped Moyes after less than a year.

Anyone fancy putting some stats together on this? I'd be interested to see if my gut feeling is right, that we don't sack managers more frequently that the average.
It's been shown we actually are pretty much on the average for turnover across the top 5 leagues in Europe. The AVB-Sherwood-Pochettino transition makes us think it is much more frequent than it is.

It is the nature of the business. I hope Pochettino turns out to be mind-blowing brilliant, the second coming of Nicholson and leads us for a couple of decades. Realistically, that probably won't happen. But I dwell in hope.

Going back to the phrase ‘The Game is about Glory’ I think personally for me, it isn’t about being in the Premier League, finishing 4th or even winning silverware. It’s about having a group of players, staff and fans who understand what it means to be a part of this massive community, wearing the shirt with passion, representing even when things are bad, playing every game like its a cup final and playing like its the last game you ever have. That for me is glorious
Handy that is not about winning anything or top 4 as we don't have a chance in hell of any of those.
"the game is about glory" certainly a convenient new definition and nothing to do with the original meaning.
Revisionist philosophy for the love of bookkeeping .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom