Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dumb cunt.

Every position has a different role. Lamela plays on the right wing. Is he a winger? His crossing stats are shit.

Oh wait. No, no he isn't a winger. He's an inside forward. Despite being played on the right wing. Weird how that works, with people playing somewhere yet having a role that may be different than the norm?

Was Crouch's job to score? Or to cause issues and head on for Defoe, to get assists for other players? Crouch was never a major goal threat, yet that didn't make him a bad player.

A target mans main job isn't to score. It's to hold up play, have your back to goal and quickly pass the ball on and cause a counter attack.

Most top goal scorers play with their front to goal, running onto balls in behind.

Most top target men play with their back to goal, making the ball stick to them before moving it on.

Which do you think Janssen does? He plays with his back to goal. Not complicated. Do you expect him to score 20-30 goals facing the "wrong" way for a striker? It's not his job.

His role is hold up. 1 goal and 2 assists in 2 games. Shows it's working.

6 posts and you come mouthing off. Pleb.

As the late, great Bill Shankly used to say when people criticised John Toshacks lack of skill and control.
"I know but in the area he's a bloody nuisance!"
Toshack then forged an amazing scoring partnership with Kevin Keegan resulting in league titles and European cups!

From what I've seen of Janssen so far he fits the bill and is an astute buy!

Well done Poch

:levystare:

And if he doesnt people will look to the next bull shit stat to back up why he's going to make it.....

Should never ever have sold Defoe. FACT

Defoe was a goalscorer for us and still is for Sunderland. Defoe as much as I loved him, was never a team player though, and that's more important than scoring goals vs the poor teams in the division. Loved him, but Defoe at Spurs as the leading man wouldn't work. Janssen will be good for us, and he is very much a team player.

Last edited:
Whether or not he is scoring, he provides a good balance to our attack. His role as a target man is fine as long as we have players behind him who can score. We do, so all is well. Gullit on MOTD was right in a sense, when he said Janssen was taking up positions where he wouldn't score. However, I think that is probably deliberate.

Whether or not he is scoring, he provides a good balance to our attack. His role as a target man is fine as long as we have players behind him who can score. We do, so all is well. Gullit on MOTD was right in a sense, when he said Janssen was taking up positions where he wouldn't score. However, I think that is probably deliberate.
Kane took up these positions too. Every pundit I have heard that talked about Kane last year, especially Shearer, said "he should stay within the width of the 18yrd box". We don't play like that, Kane never played like that. Janssen is playing as Kane did last year. Their movement is great often spinning out to the touchline or dropping deep to receive the ball (haven't seen Janssen drop too deep to be fair) but he is doing as Kane did. The exact move that was highlighted on MoTD that Guillit was talking about he failed to acknowledge that Janssens's position meant their full back was totally out of the game, pinned back against the touchline, offering NO defensive contribution, this is also why we scored, our movement (Janssen's) moved their defence out of position.

These pundits don't seem to acknowledge our system, despite how we set-up almost the same every single week. If we have an injury to a player whoever comes in plays just like the player he is replacing, they all know their jobs in the system. There might always be a lag for new players to learn the system (just as it did for our players at the club when Poch arrived, Erikssen amongst others regularly spoke of learning what Poch wanted) but their ignorance is to our advantage, just as it was last year.

Would love for Bincent to get a few goals in the next two vital games vs CSKA and City. If he does it vs City it could do wonders for his confidence. I think he has all the attributes he needs to do well, the most important of all probably his attitude. He was written off last season too, as a striker that had just made the step to the highest level of the Dutch game. Despite playing well, he failed to score and some said he wouldn't cut it. They were wrong then. Let's hope he get's going in the league soon to take the pressure off him!

Would love for Bincent to get a few goals in the next two vital games vs CSKA and City. If he does it vs City it could do wonders for his confidence. I think he has all the attributes he needs to do well, the most important of all probably his attitude. He was written off last season too, as a striker that had just made the step to the highest level of the Dutch game. Despite playing well, he failed to score and some said he wouldn't cut it. They were wrong then. Let's hope he get's going in the league soon to take the pressure off him!
Why are people say he lacks confidence? Not specifically aimed at you @ean17 he looks very confident young man to me. Nothing I have seen suggests that he is low on confidence.

Why are people say he lacks confidence? Not specifically aimed at you @ean17 he looks very confident young man to me. Nothing I have seen suggests that he is low on confidence.

It's not that he lacks it, but scoring goals vs top teams can give your a real confidence boost. So added confidence if you'd like.

You only have to watch this video to realise he's more than just a powerful striker who will hold the ball up and score goals - he's got that very Dutch style of play, some of the assists in this video are outstanding and when he's on sync with everyone and given some space, he'll be devastating.

Some of the plays in that video alone shows why, in my opinion, he'll succeed. He's a lot more than an Afonso Alves, Mateja Kezman or Ricky van wolfswinkel who were deadly in the Dutch league.

It's not that he lacks it, but scoring goals vs top teams can give your a real confidence boost. So added confidence if you'd like.
I get the sentiment, but it all points to the narrative of him being solely judged on goal count and nothing else matters. I really like him and really like what he is giving us. Sunderland game aside, he has contributed more to the team than Kane has done this year. I'm pushing a snowball uphill here I know, as every week unfortunately the topic of conversation will be the same every single week, despite him working his nuts off bringing our AM's into play. Just saying he looks a confident player, nothing about his body language suggests otherwise.

I get the sentiment, but it all points to the narrative of him being solely judged on goal count and nothing else matters. I really like him and really like what he is giving us. Sunderland game aside, he has contributed more to the team than Kane has done this year. I'm pushing a snowball uphill here I know, as every week unfortunately the topic of conversation will be the same every single week, despite him working his nuts off bringing our AM's into play. Just saying he looks a confident player, nothing about his body language suggests otherwise.

It's not about our judgement of the player. I rate him, you do too. But you also know how these things work. Without goals the pressure will increase, regardless of how well the rest of his game is.
Agree about the confidence, but a good player can become unplayable when it gets going, and we can always hope for that ahead of the City game where we will things going for us on the day to get all three points!

CtMahb9XYAAf10b.jpg:large

Don't care if he isn't the second coming of Van Basten or he's more Dirk Kuyt. He's our player and he's working his nuts off for the team. You could see the joy in his face when Sonny scored his first of the match after some solid hold up play. He's being a nuisance and like Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 said allowing for other players to attack the goal. He seems to have created a nice little partnership with Sonny. So we have Kane and Dele, now Sonny and Vincent.

We have built some nice strength in depth.

Hopefully Pep is arrogant enough to play Kolarov centre back against us - I think Bincent's physicality could make him look very silly.

Football is a strange world. I would rather Janssen not score and we beat CSKA 1-0 than get a hat trick and we draw 3-3? He will get his goals, he will come good/better. The way he plays, he can only come good. In some aspects, he's better than Kane- holding ball, choosing the right pass and has a natural ability to choose the the right option under pressure. He has done everything right except score but does it matter if we keep on winning game? The attempts to stop him or kane playing, allows other players space. We need to remember its a team game.

I said before he signed that he was the striker that i didn't want us to sign and from what i saw of him before..i said i didn't think he was clinical enough.
Having seen him more now in a spurs shirt i think his general play is actually better than i thought but he will never grab the amount of goals we hope/need. Batshuayi was the type of striker i hoped we signed.

Back
Top Bottom