Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We've seen him play as the main centre forward twice this week and well
.:gallashmm:

While he's clearly a physical presence, a hard worker and capable of some nice lay offs...i'm still seriously concerned how he'll cope in Harry's absence.

Despite an impressive goal return in a very un-impressive Eredivisie, the best of compliments we heard were that he has 'legs like a horses' and shares similar qualities to Dirt Kuyt; not terrible qualities, but it doesn't indicate much in the way of ability. Whilst he is a strong player, he's not quick, nor tall or particularly skilful so i'm struggling to pin down what kind of centre forward he really is?

Striker's without pace or height generally seem to struggle in the league...(Falcao and Soldado are recent examples)

I sincerely hope he proves to be a good footballer for us, but even then I doubt whether he's ever going to be the right player to play alongside Harry...he doesn't seem to offer any qualities that Harry doesn't currently possess. I would have loved a faster more mobile centre forward who could not only deputise for Harry, but also compliment him.

Admittedly, I've only seen him in a Spurs and Holland shirt, so I would welcome anyone who's seen more of him to set me straight!

It's all shaping up for him to score his first goal in the Premier League this season in our seventh fixture against Man City..

Funnily enough, Harry Kane scored his first goal in the Premier League last season in our seventh fixture against Man City..

It's all shaping up for him to score his first goal in the Premier League this season in our seventh fixture against Man City..

Funnily enough, Harry Kane scored his first goal in the Premier League last season in our seventh fixture against Man City..
And if he doesnt people will look to the next bull shit stat to back up why he's going to make it.....

Should never ever have sold Defoe. FACT

And if he doesnt people will look to the next bull shit stat to back up why he's going to make it.....

Should never ever have sold Defoe. FACT

The legacy of Sherwood, imo.

Regarding Janssen - he's only 6 months older than Shaq Coulthirst - so that should give an idea as to what the expectation should be. We've paid for potential, not a finished product.

The legacy of Sherwood, imo.

Regarding Janssen - he's only 6 months older than Shaq Coulthirst - so that should give an idea as to what the expectation should be. We've paid for potential, not a finished product.

He only looks 5 years older than Kane...

6.5 performance today, needs to work harder to create opportunities for himself, but to be fair passing to Son seemed the best option today.

He only looks 5 years older than Kane...

6.5 performance today, needs to work harder to create opportunities for himself, but to be fair passing to Son seemed the best option today.

I think people need to realise that a modern team doesn't have defenders that defend, midfielders that create chances and strikers that score goals. Everyone mucks in an plays a part to the attack and defence - it shouldn't matter how many goals Janssen is scoring, so long as he's not wasting chances.

Won't stop people fixating on the issue, but he contributes a decent amount considering both he an Kane seem to be double marked at the moment

While he's clearly a physical presence, a hard worker and capable of some nice lay offs...i'm still seriously concerned how he'll cope in Harry's absence.

Despite an impressive goal return in a very un-impressive Eredivisie, the best of compliments we heard were that he has 'legs like a horses' and shares similar qualities to Dirt Kuyt; not terrible qualities, but it doesn't indicate much in the way of ability. Whilst he is a strong player, he's not quick, nor tall or particularly skilful so i'm struggling to pin down what kind of centre forward he really is?

Striker's without pace or height generally seem to struggle in the league...(Falcao and Soldado are recent examples)

I sincerely hope he proves to be a good footballer for us, but even then I doubt whether he's ever going to be the right player to play alongside Harry...he doesn't seem to offer any qualities that Harry doesn't currently possess. I would have loved a faster more mobile centre forward who could not only deputise for Harry, but also compliment him.

Admittedly, I've only seen him in a Spurs and Holland shirt, so I would welcome anyone who's seen more of him to set me straight!

The fact that some not quick nor tall strikers have failed doesn't mean that all not quick nor tall players will fail, as proven by Costa and Kane. The notion that strikers should be at least either tall or pacey belongs to the 20th. century.

Janssen hasn't been lucky with his finishing so far, but he's shown a hell of a lot of promise both in terms of teamplay and in getting himself into positions, as well as his hard work and strength in his hold-up play.

He's been good so far. True, he hasn't looked like a superstar yet, but that's not what we bought either. He's started better than a lot of other players we've bought the last years though, and I believe he will become absolutely brilliant if he's given time and chances, and if our stadium goers aren't as fickle and quick to dismiss him as you seem.

Are people really this thick?

His role in the team is currently target man. He isn't being asked by Poch to score. If he started making runs and putting himself into goal scoring positions, he'd be going against orders.

It's blatantly obvious. He's got like 2-3 assist in 2 games. He's there to pass, occupy defenders, bully them, tire them and let Eriksen, Lamela and Son score off of him.

His role isn't to score. It's to assist while he beds in. Once gets use to the league and adapts he will be tasked with scoring goals.

Those saying he offers nothing really need to go watch some clips. Once he hits his stride he is VERY clinical.

Last edited:
The fact that some not quick nor tall strikers have failed doesn't mean that all not quick nor tall players will fail, as proven by Costa and Kane. The notion that strikers should be at least either tall or pacey belongs to the 20th. century.

Janssen hasn't been lucky with his finishing so far, but he's shown a hell of a lot of promise both in terms of teamplay and in getting himself into positions, as well as his hard work and strength in his hold-up play.

He's been good so far. True, he hasn't looked like a superstar yet, but that's not what we bought either. He's started better than a lot of other players we've bought the last years though, and I believe he will become absolutely brilliant if he's given time and chances, and if our stadium goers aren't as fickle and quick to dismiss him as you seem.

You might want to re-read my post buddy, because you've seemed to interpret it as some kind of Janssen obituary...

You've listed exactly the same attributes as I did towards Janssen 'hard work' , 'strength' and 'hold-up play', while also noting he's not been a 'superstar'. Sounds like you're more or less agreeing with me...and yet you're accusing me of being 'fickle'. I'm not quite sure you're attempting to say about 'stadium goers', but I am one.

Diego Costa isn't fast or tall? The guys 6'2 and is constantly outrunning defenders. Kane's the same height, and it's well documented that Harry has done a lot of work to improve his speed and is now a lot faster than people give him credit for.

Besides, that wasn't really my point...it's just so far I haven't seen any attributes whether that be: skill/intelligence or indeed speed that will mark him out as a top striker.

His role in the team is currently target man. He isn't being asked by Poch to score. If he started making runs and putting himself into goal scoring positions, he'd be going against orders.

It's blatantly obvious. He's got like 2-3 assist in 2 games. He's there to pass occupy defenders, bully them, tire them and let Eriksen, Lamela and Son score off of him.

His role isn't to score. It's to assist while he beds in. Once gets use to the league and adapts he will be tasked with scoring goals.

Those saying he offers nothing really need to go watch some clips. Once he hits his stride he is VERY clinical.

Are you seriously suggesting that Poch is asking him not to score goals ? He's a striker, it's literally his job to score goals.

FYI he's also got one assist, so you might one to check the facts in your posts before you go round calling people thick and demanding they go watch 'youtube videos'.

Are you seriously suggesting that Poch is asking him not to score goals ? He's a striker, it's literally his job to score goals.

Dumb cunt.

Every position has a different role. Lamela plays on the right wing. Is he a winger? His crossing stats are shit.

Oh wait. No, no he isn't a winger. He's an inside forward. Despite being played on the right wing. Weird how that works, with people playing somewhere yet having a role that may be different than the norm?

Was Crouch's job to score? Or to cause issues and head on for Defoe, to get assists for other players? Crouch was never a major goal threat, yet that didn't make him a bad player.

A target mans main job isn't to score. It's to hold up play, have your back to goal and quickly pass the ball on and cause a counter attack.

Most top goal scorers play with their front to goal, running onto balls in behind.

Most top target men play with their back to goal, making the ball stick to them before moving it on.

Which do you think Janssen does? He plays with his back to goal. Not complicated. Do you expect him to score 20-30 goals facing the "wrong" way for a striker? It's not his job.

His role is hold up. 1 goal and 2 assists in 2 games. Shows it's working.

6 posts and you come mouthing off. Pleb.

He seems like a classic back to goal striker who will bully defenders and pull them all over the place, creating plenty of space for his attacking midfielders who are bombing on. He's also demonstrated so far that his hold up play is rather excellent and as the AM's get more accustomed to playing with him I think we'll see more passes to his feet with the knowledge that he can act as a type of 'backboard' from whom they can receive the ball as he creates space and holds off defenders. I think we'll see more goals of a similar ilk to the first one against Boro as the season progresses.

I don't think that his playing style suggests that he'll ever be anything more than a 1 in 3 type of striker in this league, but his movement and strength will create plenty of space and goals for his team mates.

In saying that though, he's still only 22 with plenty of scope for improvement and to slightly change his game. He's probably still not as fit and as fast as Pochettino would like him either. By the second half of the season I would expect his body shape to completely change as becomes fitter and even stringer through the core.

From the game time he's had this season he's played better than Kane in every showing. Only difference is Kane has scored two tap ins from inside the 6 yard box.

Goals will come. He's had very little in the way of clear cut chances but his hold up play has been outstanding. And he links up well.

He'll be fine.

With our goals coming from pretty much the whole squad, the pressure on him scoring any isn't really that great...gone are the days when we've had to rely on a Bale to win a game single handed...

Dumb cunt.

6 posts and you come mouthing off. Pleb.

Haha I cannot believe you've called me a pleb because I've only posted on here a few times. You're right, having thousands of posts on a football forum is extremely bourgeois.

Chill out mate, we're all Spurs fans..Even if some of us aren't yet fighting cock aristocracy. :bow:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/133381

Last edited:

It's blatantly obvious. He's got like 2-3 assist in 2 games. He's there to pass occupy defenders, bully them, tire them and let Eriksen, Lamela and Son score off of him.

He's constantly making runs and pointing to where he wants the ball, nobody plays him in. He's never going to score a lot of goals unless we seriously improve our attack

With our goals coming from pretty much the whole squad, the pressure on him scoring any isn't really that great...gone are the days when we've had to rely on a Bale to win a game single handed...

Agree, I can't see the obsession with 1 player, so if Vinnie scored 2 yesterday and Son didn't score any, we still win 2-1 and get 3 points. :pochsmirk:

Back
Top Bottom