Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hope they nip this sin-bin idea in the bud, sounds awful. Lets just sort out quality of refs and var assistants, automate offsides, and be done with it.

The sin bin is already in use in grass roots football, which I ref in. I can tell you now it’s a pain in the bloody arse. It’s 8 playable minutes - and therein lies the issue, you have players screaming to come back on after 8 mins but I’ve only counted 6.5 mins as playable - managers and players go fucking wild about this and suddenly want a forensic audit of every second of the game.

The other issue with it is if you sin bin someone for kicking the ball away in dissent. Every time the whistle goes and a player kicks it, they all want that player sin binned - even if the players mid swing on a shot when the whistle goes and there is no clear dissent whatsoever.

It’s more trouble than it’s worth in my opinion, but I know other refs who absolutely love it
You can't apply N. American rules to an English sport....they'll be playing NFL games over here next...or Germany...or both..

Hope they nip this sin-bin idea in the bud, sounds awful. Lets just sort out quality of refs and var assistants, automate offsides, and be done with it.

The sin bin is already in use in grass roots football, which I ref in. I can tell you now it’s a pain in the bloody arse. It’s 8 playable minutes - and therein lies the issue, you have players screaming to come back on after 8 mins but I’ve only counted 6.5 mins as playable - managers and players go fucking wild about this and suddenly want a forensic audit of every second of the game.

The other issue with it is if you sin bin someone for kicking the ball away in dissent. Every time the whistle goes and a player kicks it, they all want that player sin binned - even if the players mid swing on a shot when the whistle goes and there is no clear dissent whatsoever.

It’s more trouble than it’s worth in my opinion, but I know other refs who absolutely love it
Sin bin for dissent? There's an alternative - referees could grow a pair and issue yellow cards for it, left, right & centre, until it stops. For years they've had a simple power in their hands to curb dissent, but they just don't use it. I blame referees for much of the state the game (on the pitch) is in. If, as a group, they demanded respect for their authority (or else...) they'd get respect. The only reason players behave so badly is that they're allowed to.
Everyone knows footballers can be a bunch of cunts, so they need to be treated that way. They'd soon stop, because they may be cunts, but they aren't all daft (except the likes of Harry Maguire, etc).

With due respect Richard Richard Richard Richard
If you would be checking whether an attacking player is 1m or less away from the wall as a first check as a VAR, it may explain why you are receiving a lot more dissent than usual in youth football than your peers as you describe above in your sin bin experience, as reading between the lines you seem to be bringing a lot of it on yourself.
They'll be issuing refs with tape measures soon...!

It’s not reviewable. It’s up to the center ref to make this call.

Just like if the center ref made the wall stand 15m away instead of 10. Sure the VAR might see that but they can’t overrule it even if it’s clear and obvious.
Everything is reviewable, whether they highlight to the ref is not. They should though
Sin bin for dissent? There's an alternative - referees could grow a pair and issue yellow cards for it, left, right & centre, until it stops. For years they've had a simple power in their hands to curb dissent, but they just don't use it. I blame referees for much of the state the game (on the pitch) is in. If, as a group, they demanded respect for their authority (or else...) they'd get respect. The only reason players behave so badly is that they're allowed to.
Everyone knows footballers can be a bunch of cunts, so they need to be treated that way. They'd soon stop, because they may be cunts, but they aren't all daft (except the likes of Harry Maguire, etc).
i agree it’s the long term solution, the problem is in the short term you would have games ending 8 vs 8 until the message gets across, then you would get a load of ex player pundits saying the games gone, whilst cunts like Klopp moan on and on.

The sin bin I believe is supposed to be a halfway house so that teams are only temporarily reduced - wouldn’t surprise me if they then did away with it once they were sure they wouldn’t get 5 red cards a game

You can't apply N. American rules to an English sport....they'll be playing NFL games over here next...or Germany...or both..
He isn't talking North America.

4 years ago in England we brought in sin bins for dissent, at Step 10 or below. That really means Parks, Village, Sunday and Youth Football.

10 minute sin bins for dissent only (plus a yellow card) in 90 minute football (so 17 year olds, and adults) , 8 mins sinbins for youth football (16 years and under) plus a yellow card.

In the vast majority of cases if has decreased dissent significantly, teams/referees can go with maybe one caution/sin bin for it all season, whereas beforehand 10 times that figure. Well all referees that referee using a modicum of common sense that is. I still act as an observer (what used to be called an assessor) on football on days Spurs aren't playing

Last edited:
They are not rules.
They are the laws of football, get that right to have any credibility on refereeing please.

And I was a what is now a class 2a referee.

I am sorry but you are being so anal here. These VAR officials certainly know the laws, and know how to apply them, and do so according to UEFA directives in the Champions League, which is not necessarily to the clear and obvious advise used in the Premier League anyway.
Yeah sure completely undermined because I said rules instead of laws - like any player cares whether you say rules or laws.

As for your other point - they clearly don’t know how to apply them as both that free kick and the penalty in the Newcastle game this week showed - I believe UEFA have now suspended that VAR official now

4 years ago in England we brought in sin bins for dissent, at Step 10 or below. That really means Parks, Village and Youth Football.

10 minute sin bins for dissent only (plus a yellow card) in 90 minute football (so 17 year olds, and adults) , 8 mins sinbins for youth football (16 years and under) plus a yellow card.

In the vast majority of cases if has decreased dissent significantly, teams/referees can go with maybe one caution/sin bin for it all season, whereas beforehand 10 times that figure. Well all referees that referee that uses a modicum of common sense that is. I still act as an observer on football on days Spurs aren't playing
I think you will find the guy was joking - maybe calm down a little

4 years ago in England we brought in sin bins for dissent, at Step 10 or below. That really means Parks, Village and Youth Football.

In the vast majority of cases if has decreased dissent significantly, teams/referees can go with maybe one caution/sin bin for it all season, whereas beforehand 10 times that figure. Well all referees that referee using a modicum of common sense that is. I still act as an observer (what used to be called an assessor) on football on days Spurs aren't playing
I had no idea....still don't like it....yellow/ red cards used properly should be enough..!

The VAR official in the Newcastle game was suspended because he did not apply the rules correctly for a handball - that’s how over complicated we’ve made the game now, the supposed top refs can’t follow the rules properly

I had no idea....still don't like it....yellow/ red cards used properly should be enough..!
In reality they should be I agree, but it is grass roots where the issue was in place really, and they were the least able to control things, hence a large drop in numbers of referees (although there are also a large drop in number of teams nowadays to what there were, leagues that had 7 or 8 divisions now only have 2 or 3)

Higher up the ladder you go, the better the referees so could handle things, and in general the better behaved the players were. At professional level though we never really carded (I am going back over 20 years now) for dissent or foul and abusive language as was seen as normal workplace language. Only thing we would do was come down heavy on players calling or inferring bias, or where the dissent was visible or extremely loud so everyone in ground could hear. We almost gave as much chat back to the players as we got. Today's generation would report any referee for saying boo to a goose.

The theory behind sin-bins is players almost self-monitor it as they don't want to go down to 10 men for any length of time due to something they can control. In reality it works, dissent has dropped massively where trialled, but the interesting thing is with goalkeepers, because up till now it has mainly been trialled in games where they have rolling substitutes, so teams can just put in a reserve keeper for the period the keeper is sin-binned for. That would have to change for games higher up as rolling subs are obviously not a thing, so would need a solution working out (Is it tough luck, manager would have to choose between a permanent sub by bringing on reserve keeper, temporarily put an outfield player in goal, or the keeper doesn't get sin-binned but another player does instead for example)

Last edited:
Danny Murphy was saying the same thing yesterday on Talksport.

I agree. If refs just used the powers they already have, it would be sorted within weeks.

Just to add, all goals are reviewable and that would have counted as clear and obvious.

Icardi is blocking Onana’s line of sight as well - so it has huge ramifications. The thing is United didn’t even appeal, their own players don’t know the rules which shows how overly complicated the game is being made now and why this stuff happens more and more. We should be simplifying not complicating the game
This one? Don't think VAR would review (nor would I want them to)but man u are well ahead of the refs white line otherwise it's about a meter

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/ManchesterUnited/s/6OmseR181E

The VAR official in the Newcastle game was suspended because he did not apply the rules correctly for a handball - that’s how over complicated we’ve made the game now, the supposed top refs can’t follow the rules properly
Not really suspended
His game was changed and instead of going to Real Socieded he went to Freiburg v. Olympiakos instead, although that isn't as sensational reporting as suspended is it.

That doesn't mean he hasn't been spoken to, but certainly does mean that UEFA do not consider it a big error to award PSG the penalty.

Last edited:
Not really suspended
His game was changed and instead of going to Real Socieded he went to Freiburg v. Olympiakos instead, although that isn't as sensational reporting as suspended is it.

That doesn't mean he hasn't been spoken to, but certainly does mean that UEFA do not consider it a big error.
I have some sympathy for him, the rules keep changing - the last 5 years have seen more new laws since the very first time they were ever drawn up.

They are not rules.
They are the laws of football, get that right to have any credibility on refereeing please.

And I was a what is now a class 2a referee.

I am sorry but you are being so anal here. These VAR officials certainly know the laws, and know how to apply them, and do so according to UEFA directives in the Champions League, which is not necessarily to the clear and obvious advise used in the Premier League anyway.
No. They don’t and that is the point

Back
Top Bottom