Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hope they nip this sin-bin idea in the bud, sounds awful. Lets just sort out quality of refs and var assistants, automate offsides, and be done with it.

It will always take away more than it gives

Absolutely no reason not to refine, fine-tune and keep the offside process at the very least.

Taking that out of the ref's hands should alleviate pressure and improve performance; not worsen it.

No reason why VAR shouldn't be retained for off the ball incidents either.

Last edited:
Just a general question. Have you stopped celebrating goals as much? I know i have. Rarely a goal is given without a hold up. All it is now is a little fist pump when var allows it. Sucking the joy out of it

It's not the same, but my initial reactions aren't tempered.

It's not like goals never got ruled out for various reasons pre-VAR either.

Hope they nip this sin-bin idea in the bud, sounds awful. Lets just sort out quality of refs and var assistants, automate offsides, and be done with it.

The sin bin is already in use in grass roots football, which I ref in. I can tell you now it’s a pain in the bloody arse. It’s 8 playable minutes - and therein lies the issue, you have players screaming to come back on after 8 mins but I’ve only counted 6.5 mins as playable - managers and players go fucking wild about this and suddenly want a forensic audit of every second of the game.

The other issue with it is if you sin bin someone for kicking the ball away in dissent. Every time the whistle goes and a player kicks it, they all want that player sin binned - even if the players mid swing on a shot when the whistle goes and there is no clear dissent whatsoever.

It’s more trouble than it’s worth in my opinion, but I know other refs who absolutely love it

Absolutely no reason not to refine, fine-tune and keep the offside process at the very least.

Taking that out of the ref's hands should alleviate pressure and improve performance; not worsen it.

No reason why VAR shouldn't be retained for off the ball incidents too.
Offside can come in when they prove it can work. The remit was really tight for goal line before it was introduced and should be the same.

Mission creep with off ball offenses, you do that and it will lead to red card tackles..handballs and then you're soon back to where we are now

Offside can come in when they prove it can work. The remit was really tight for goal line before it was introduced and should be the same.

Mission creep with off ball offenses, you do that and it will lead to red card tackles..handballs and then you're soon back to where we are now

...In which case we'd be back to my broader opinion; that as long as the human officiating element vastly improves; I don't have a problem with it.

BUT get rid of that fkn monitor.

How is that a glaring error?

It’s also not reviewable by VAR.
When 3 players line up in a wall - it then officially counts as a defensive wall, the new rule is that an attacking player now has to be 1 metre away from the wall when the free kick is struck - Icardi was right next to the United player, barely any sunlight.

The ref shouldn’t have let the free kick take place - although I have a lot of sympathy for the ref who is watching half a dozen players shoving in each other in a different part of the pitch. VAR though are supposed to be reviewing goals for clear and obvious errors - that one was clear, it was the first thing I would have looked for - but they are generally fucking useless

How is that a glaring error?

It’s also not reviewable by VAR.
Just to add, all goals are reviewable and that would have counted as clear and obvious.

Icardi is blocking Onana’s line of sight as well - so it has huge ramifications. The thing is United didn’t even appeal, their own players don’t know the rules which shows how overly complicated the game is being made now and why this stuff happens more and more. We should be simplifying not complicating the game

With due respect Richard Richard Richard Richard
If you would be checking whether an attacking player is 1m or less away from the wall as a first check as a VAR, it may explain why you are receiving a lot more dissent than usual in youth football than your peers as you describe above in your sin bin experience, as reading between the lines you seem to be bringing a lot of it on yourself.

Last edited:
With due respect Richard Richard Richard Richard
If you would be checking whether an attacking player is 1m or less away from the wall as a first check as a VAR, it may explain why you are receiving a lot more dissent than usual in youth football than your peers as you describe above in your sin bin experience, as reading between the lines you seem to be bringing a lot of it on yourself.
So as a ref I should ignore the rules - you sound almost over qualified for a position as a VAR ref.

I’m not sure what else you would check as a VAR ref on a free kick - it’s the most likely offence to occur on a free kick from a central position. The problem is people don’t know the rules and I include some of these VAR refs.

So as a ref I should ignore the rules - you sound almost over qualified for a position as a VAR ref.

I’m not sure what else you would check as a VAR ref on a free kick - it’s the most likely offence to occur on a free kick from a central position. The problem is people don’t know the rules and I include some of these VAR refs.
They are not rules.
They are the laws of football, get that right to have any credibility on refereeing please.

And I was a what is now a class 2a referee.

I am sorry but you are being so anal here. These VAR officials certainly know the laws, and know how to apply them, and do so according to UEFA directives in the Champions League, which is not necessarily to the clear and obvious advise used in the Premier League anyway.

Last edited:
Just to add, all goals are reviewable and that would have counted as clear and obvious.

Icardi is blocking Onana’s line of sight as well - so it has huge ramifications. The thing is United didn’t even appeal, their own players don’t know the rules which shows how overly complicated the game is being made now and why this stuff happens more and more. We should be simplifying not complicating the game
It’s not reviewable. It’s up to the center ref to make this call.

Just like if the center ref made the wall stand 15m away instead of 10. Sure the VAR might see that but they can’t overrule it even if it’s clear and obvious.

Back
Top Bottom